WinFax PRO alternative faxing software for Microsoft Windows
Replacing WinFax PRO
Have you upgraded to Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 and require a replacement for WinFax PRO?
If you’ve upgraded to Windows 10, 8, or 7 you’ll find that WinFax PRO is no longer functioning properly. We’ve posted the technical reasons for this in some of our other articles, as an alternative to WinFax PRO software, we suggest taking a look at FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro or another FaxTalk fax software product.
FaxTalk software is available in three different versions depending on your needs, FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro as a replacement to WinFax PRO for faxing, FaxTalk Messenger Pro, as a replacement for TalkWorks PRO (it is WinFax with voice support if you have the proper fax/voice modem) and FaxTalk Multiline Server (a networking fax software that supports up to 8 fax modems at once, a replacement for WinFax PRO Fax Sharing).
FaxTalk is available from our on-line store, If you use coupon code TRIALDEAL at the site, you can save 5% off your purchase. Visit here
About FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro
FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro is compatible with both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of the newest operating systems such as Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows 2012 Server and it will also work with older operating systems such as Windows Vista, Windows 2008 & 2003 Server and Windows XP (Sp3). It does not support Windows 9x or earlier operating systems. Switching from WinFax PRO to FaxTalk is easy because all FaxTalk software has a similar look and feel to WinFax PRO, and many of tasks to send and receive faxes are the same, so with FaxTalk you spend less time having to re-learn new software.
Comparison of WinFax and FaxTalk software
WinFax PRO had a lot of features, and it is the standard that other fax software is compared to. You’ll find that FaxTalk also is full of features and some new advanced options that were never available in WinFax PRO. Also, FaxTalk is an active product with continued development of the software.
Some of the features of FaxTalk software include:
- Fax from any application by clicking Print and selecting the FaxTalk printer driver. This is the same as WinFax, but WinFax PRO 10 included a separate photo quality printer that is missing in FaxTalk. Fortunately, the printer driver included with FaxTalk does a good job at rendering text and graphics.
- Scan pages directly from your scanner. This is similar to WinFax PRO but FaxTalk supports both older TWAIN and Windows standards (WIA).
- Supports Super G3 (V.34) Fax speeds with compatible Class 2.1 or Class 1.0 hardware. WinFax did not support the higher speed fax modems.
- Import WinFax PRO faxes and contacts/phonebooks (See Notes below) (*does not import WinFax cover pages)
- High Quality Printer Driver (available from FaxTalk version 9.0)
- Create groups within phonebooks, just like WinFax.
- Produce professional looking faxes with full preview and annotation. Unfortunately, the extensive signature stamp feature included in WinFax PRO is not available in FaxTalk but you can add a stamp to any fax by using the “Insert”, “Bitmap” feature.
- Cover Sheet Designer with pre-designed cover sheets. (WinFax included dozens of free cover sheets, only 9 pre-defined cover sheets in FaxTalk)
- Access Microsoft Outlook (32 bit editions) contacts directly when sending faxes.
- Forward received faxes by email. (as PDF, TIFF or proprietary .FAX format) – WinFax had this feature, but it was very limited and usually didn’t work properly.
- Operates as a network fax client for FaxTalk Multiline Server (for FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro or FaxTalk Messenger Pro) – similar to the WinFax Fax Sharing feature.
- Broadcast faxes to fax numbers.
- Fax Merge (personalize multiple faxes automatically) with Microsoft Word using optional FaxTalk Fax Merge software add-on.
- Fax Merge compatibility with Sage ACT! contacts (2008 versions and higher only) using optional add-on called FaxAdmin.
- Block the reception of unwanted junk faxes. This was also included in WinFax PRO
- Developer Fax SDK to integrate FaxTalk with your custom software application. (Programming experience required)
- Voice mail and Fax back capability with a compatible voice modem using FaxTalk Messenger Pro or FaxTalk Multiline Server software.
Importing WinFax data into FaxTalk software
One of the nice features of FaxTalk is the ability to import existing WinFax PRO logs and phonebooks/contacts into FaxTalk. Logs (the Send Log, Receive Log and any other message stores/sub folders you created in WinFax PRO) can be imported into FaxTalk and the fax images are automatically converted to a format that can be used in FaxTalk. Logs that are imported are stored in a folder in FaxTalk called the File Cabinet. The File Cabinet works like the Attachments folder in WinFax. However, FaxTalk cannot import WinFax archive (.WFA) backup files, so to be able to import you need to have WinFax PRO on the same system and it must be installed (and working) before you can perform the import in FaxTalk. This can pose a problem if your old computer has WinFax, and your new computer with a newer operating system has FaxTalk installed. Fortunately, there is a workaround for this. You can install a trial version of FaxTalk on the older computer, and then perform the import into the trial version of FaxTalk. Once the import is completed, you can then save a backup using the FaxTalk Backup option. Performing a backup creates an archive file with a .FTA extension. You can then copy this .FTA file created from the trial version to the new computer. At the new computer, you perform a restore (using the FaxTalk Backup Tool) and point to the .FTA file. to restore the phonebooks and logs.
Fax Blast using FaxTalk Fax Merge for Microsoft Word
If you need to send multiple faxes with personalized information on each fax, there is an optional add-on available that uses the merge features of Microsoft Word. The FaxTalk Fax Merge for Microsoft Word add-on allows you to use your contact database to send personalized faxes easily. This add-on makes it easy to send faxes directly from Microsoft Word, you don’t have to switch printer drivers to FaxTalk as its done automatically. When you’re done sending the fax, it switches back to your previously selected printer. Icons are also added to the ribbon, where you can customize your ribbon or menu for easy faxing. It can even pull fax numbers directly from a pre-designed document with a style. Sending a broadcast is fairly easy if you’re already familiar with Microsoft Word merge feature. Select your prepared mail merge document with a data source, click on Send a Fax merge, select your recipients & optional cover sheet and click Merge. Send a few faxes or thousands of faxes, all directly from Microsoft Word. Versions are available for Microsoft Word 2016 (32 bit), Office 365 subscription (32 bit), Microsoft Word 2010 (32 bit), Microsoft Word 2007 .
The FaxTalk Fax Merge is available separately as an add-on for FaxTalk, or can be bundled together with the FaxTalk product of your choice at a discounted bundle price.
Bundle with the FaxTalk Fax Merge for Microsoft Word
Compatible with Microsoft Word 2016/2013/2010 (32 bit edition only), Microsoft Word 2007.
Below you can view a video that shows the basics of sending a “fax blast” fax merge using Microsoft Word 2010 (32 bit edition) and FaxTalk Multiline Server (the operation is exactly the same with FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro or FaxTalk Messenger Pro, and Microsoft Word 2007)
Requirements for FaxTalk software:
- Compatible Microsoft Windows operating system (Windows 10, Windows 8.x, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows 2012, Windows 2008, Windows 2003, Windows XP SP3)
- Compatible Class 1, 1.0, 2, 2.0, 2.1 fax modem. (Internal or External models)
- Compatible Voice/Fax Modem for voice features of FaxTalk Messenger Pro or FaxTalk Multiline Server
- Compatible version of Microsoft Word for the FaxTalk Fax Merge option. (Word 2007/Word 2010/2013/2016 32 bit edition)
- Microsoft Word 2010 Starter Edition is not compatible. 64 bit version of Office 2010/2013/2016 is not compatible.