Fax Software

Community Forums

kaboondy

@Moderator wrote:

Yes, those steps will work for sharing the message store but you do need to select the option of a Shared Message Store when the Message Store is created (I assume you’ve already done this). Yes, I did create a Shared Message folder and it works so very well

I see that you’ve deleted the shared phonebook and created a new shared phonebook and its no longer crashing. Its possible there was some sort of anomaly that caused the crash. I must assume the same conclusion as since the change there has been no issues with the shared phonebook; knowing that this issue is absolutely not dependant on the DCOM issue was very helpful

Also, while i do not know if this was an issue but as an experiment, I removed all the changes related to the security settings that are supposed to be for the Host computer – I had originally applied all the host security changes to the XP client which presumably was unnecessary (but not sure if created the problem). I also turned the Windows firewall off. the above changes seem to work. When I turned the WIN Firewall on – (with the controller as an exception) I ran into a problem with connecting with the Host.

Did you re-apply step 1-4 on the client? It should connect with both firewall off and on if steps 1 -4 are applied.

Yes I did re-apply the changes from steps 1-4. However, I am not confident that the changes in step #3 (RPC and DCOM) were done successfuly as I am not sure how to assess the conclusion despite the “Show Service” command at the end as the output does not make sense to me. I did this several times. The output in the DOS window is like this (I tried to copy and paste a screen shot but this does not work for this window):

Service Configuration for Domain Profile:
Mode Customized Name

Enable No File and Print Sharing
Enable No Remote Desktop
Enable No Remote Adminstration

Service Configuration for Standard Profile:
Mode Customized Name

Enable No File and Print Sharing
Enable No Remote Desktop
Enable No Remote Adminstration

Despite the attempts, if WIN Firewall is activated (with the Controller and PING) as exceptions (in my network only OR any computer on the internet) there is still the same error when connecting with the Host – “RPC server error”.

I hope this is helpful information. Thank you again for remaining interested in this issue. My ultimate purpose is to set up the network so that a WIN XP Host can connect to a WIN XP Client. I have already tried this in an experiment on another very small (two computer) network and it failed completely. Thank you again.