Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Ok- I have searched… None of the answers given previously work.

1. I do not run Norton
    2. I have upgraded to 10.04
    3. I have re-run the configurator
    4. I have an account named WinFax on the client and host- with matching passwords (both in the admin group).
    5. The host is using a Static IP
    6. I can ping the host from the client
    7. I can ping the client from the host
    8. The client can not use a Static IP.
    9. The firewall has the right .exe in it
    10. Both machines are WinXP SP2 (fully patched)
    11. Anything else already listed in other threads, has been tried.

“Setup cannot connect to WinFax PRO on 192.168.15.9 (Reason: The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.). Check that this is the correct hostname.”

The problem, as I see it, is I never set an Identity. How does WinFax know what user to use for the connection? At no point have I seen a way to set this. Where do I tell WinFax “hey, use the WinFax user when your trying to talk to the host.”

So, what am I missing?

JohnD
    Participant

Did you configure one of the PCs as a Host?
    Double click “WinFax Fax Sharing Host” in the Tools, Setup menu and make sure you’ve configured one of the PCs as a host.

Anonymous

@JohnD wrote:

Double click “WinFax Fax Sharing Host” in the Tools, Setup menu and make sure you’ve configured one of the PCs as a host.

yes- the WinFax Fax Sharing Host is all configured…

My phone call to Symantec resulted in them giving me the exact opposite instructions as related to the online ones…

(They told me to add anonymous user acces…. despite me telling him over and over he was reading the wrong script).

At the end, of course, it was not working any better than it was when I called. I was asked to “call back in an hour or so” and he might have more information.

Anyway- that’s off topic.. the point is, when the client tries to connect to the host it seems to be using the anonymous account- rather than using the account I created. How do I get Winfax to use the created account?

JohnD
    Participant

@Hal wrote:

@JohnD wrote:

yes- the WinFax Fax Sharing Host is all configured…

My phone call to Symantec resulted in them giving me the exact opposite instructions as related to the online ones…

(They told me to add anonymous user acces…. despite me telling him over and over he was reading the wrong script).

At the end, of course, it was not working any better than it was when I called. I was asked to “call back in an hour or so” and he might have more information.

Anyway- that’s off topic.. the point is, when the client tries to connect to the host it seems to be using the anonymous account- rather than using the account I created. How do I get Winfax to use the created account?

switch the host and the client around and test to see if it works.

setup your current client as the Host and the Host as the client. Try connecting to see if the same error (or a different) error occurs.

for this test, don’t setup a password when you configure the host (uncheck the option “use password” in the Host configuration dialog box)

also can you share files, folders, printers etc. between the host machine and client machine?

Make sure the “Server” service is started and running (in Services, click start, run, type “services.msc”)
    make sure COM+ and DCOM services are started and running.
    Try disabling Terminal Services.
    Check here for any disabled services to see if they might be required.

Make a note of any changes you make so you can change them back if needed.

Anonymous

I think I might know the problem, service pack 2 security!
    I’ve had the exact same problem and this solved things for me:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….1425704

The article describes allowing certain services for anonymous users, winfax pro doesn’t have an authentication protocol.

edit: Oh I missed on of your replies.
    Well the thing is it’s not Winfax using anonymouse over a user, it’s the protocol that’s anonymous.

I really think you should try to follow everything described in the article, it solved my problems :;):

Anonymous

According to Symantec, if you are using all Windows XP SP2 machines with host/client sharing with the 10.04 update, you don’t need to perform these steps.

You might want to discard the 10.04 update (use 10.03) and just try following the steps in the document instead…

Anonymous

Moderator: Correct. Symantec specifically says not to do it. I want to add that I tried it anyway and had no success.

John:

1. I tried to reverse at one point- and got the same error.
    2. I can share files/folders/etc without a problem.
    3. All services are running.
    4. I can not disable terminal services as the server is only accessable through Remote Desktop.

At this point, I think I am ready to give up on WinFax.. Twice tech support has promissed to return my calls- and they have not done so. I am out of time and out of paitence…

Anonymous

Did you try just using 10.03 and then following the steps in the Windows XP SP2 document?

wassupbonsai

Did anyone fix this at all? I have the same problem. I get “Setup cannot connect to winfax pro on 192.168.1.103. (Reason: access is denied). Check that this is the correct host name. After I ran the 10.04 patch, I got it to connect to it at least (with a different error about user account/password) but next time I restarted, it went back to this same error again. I have even tried setting up a test network with nothing on it with two completely different PCs. Nothing seems to work! I can’t find an answer anywhere on the net.
    Thanks

superfuzz

I have all the same problems that you have. I followed all the steps in the document as well as installing version 10.04. Nothing. I dont know wha tto do at this point because i just bought some equipment for our company to convert everything with win fax not knowing of this sp2 issue they are having. Back a year ago when i used to use win fax, i never had this issue. So now i look stupid because of these problems.

I have noticed that you are using the same IP as i am wassupbonsai. It was set default when i set everyhting up. Interesting. Do you think that the IP of the server may be an issue? Perhaps it has to be a certain number. I say this because i have used some software before where i ran into problems because it wasnt compatable with that particular IP range. What do you think? I also believe i came across something on the symantec site sayhing that you cant use certain IPs. I wish i had that page to give to you.

I need to find another soloution that is simmilar to winfax.

Does anyone know of another type of innexpensive solution that integrates the fax server and our companies computers with outlook 2003? We are all using SP2 BTW. I like the features of everyone faxing from their desktops and when a fax comes in it emails it or notifies someone. Thats pretty much the only features we need, but we need to be able to do it with a standard phone line and not an internet based solution because we cannot rely on our internet nor do we want to pay a monthly fee because we send and receive at least 100 faxable items a day.

I saw somethign from Black ICE software, but im not sure if that is up to par or comparable. I downloaded an eval, but it seems a bit more complex. I need to figure it out.

wassupbonsai

Hi superfuzz!
    I read in the Symantec Article, “How to set up TCP/IP network for Fax and MEssage Sharing”, that “There are ranges of IP addresses that are meant for Private Networks. The following table uses addresses that are from the range of 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255.” So I thought I could use anything in that range. I don’t think our address is the problem as I have read many forums with people using different addresses having the same problem. I wish it was that easy!! Symantec has really gone down hill I think! It’s like the incompatibility with Norton Corporate 10 and PC Anywhere 11.5. Crashes the server! Though they do have a fix for that.

Anyway, I have now given up and downloaded a fax program for the workstations called “Snappy Fax 2000” and “Snappy Fax Server” for the server from http://www.snappysoftware.com/sfindex.htm
    it has a 30 day trial and i have got it working perfectly. I think I’m going to buy it instead of Winfax. Too many bugs I think. Hope you get it sorted and thanks for the reply!

Anonymous

@Moderator wrote:

Did you try just using 10.03 and then following the steps in the Windows XP SP2 document?

Yes, I tried 10.03 and followed the directions- No Joy…

I am also now running into a problem with 10.03 and the outlook integration… The Symantec web site says to fix it.. turn it off… wonderful!

Then there is 10.03 and large drives- that doesn’t work either… if you want to use multiple message stores… You need to move it to a small partition with less than 2GB free… and re-size it over and over again…. They have had this bug since Version 9.0 at least… you would think they could bother to fix some of this stuff..

Edit: On a side note, My call on 10/5 … The one the tech swore he would call back the next day… I still have not gotten a call back- and any other calls to Tech Support are met with “Someone will get back to you- we are working on the problem”.

What a joke.

I am not going to to use ANY symantec product ever again… How can I trust their AntiVirus software when they can’t get a fax program to work?

Anonymous

I have got this exact same problem. Arrggghhhh… help?

superfuzz

wassupbonsai – Thanks for getting back to me. I will try that software and see how that works out. Its a shame because i really liked winfax in the past. Its a shame. Im extremely computer savy and couldnt get it to work for the life of me. Usually when people have problems its something simple, so when i saw all the people having problems i figured, well , there are tons of people who Don;t have problems and i would give it a try. No luck. O well. Thanks for the other software suggestion.

nambi

has anyone ever gotten this problem fixed? please advice me as I am having this problem now, also if you are using a new fax program please let me know I am more that willing to switch away from winfax.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.