Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bluejay

Using WinFax Basic 9.0, I find that whenever I send a fax, my own name is entered into the phonebook. After a while, there is a whole list of my name and I have to delete them manually. Is there a reason for this unwanted entry and is there a way to prevent it? I noticed that someone named Mark Miller had the same problem in alt.fax but he never received a reply and left no address.
    Thanks

Anonymous

Yes, this is a known problem with WinFax PRO 9.0 (and BASIC 9.0) when your phonebooks and/or logs are corrupted.
    to fix this, you need to rebuild your phonebook and logs.
    See this Symantec document on how to do this

http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/faxprod.nsf/docid/1998092113314904

bluejay

Been there. Done that. I tried that a little while ago and it didn’t work. At your suggestion, I tried it again and again it didn’t work. I suspected that somewhere I had instructed the program to add names automatically to the phonebook, and if I further instructed the program to send me a copy of all of my messages, then I would become a recipient each time. But it’s not that, because my name is added even before any new message is sent. Just opening the Manager seems to do it.
    Thanks for your input anyway and if there are any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Try creating a new phonebook, move your fax numbers into it, then delete the existing default phonebook, run the rebuild utility on all Winfax logs and phonebooks.

Note: When you restart Winfax a new default pb will be created.

Anonymous

i think there is code in winfax to add your name and number that you entered during winfax setup to the phonebook when winfax is started, the problem is that it thinks that it didn’t already do this, so each time you start, it adds it again. Check Steve’s suggestion out, because it’s likely your phonebook is corrupt. By creating a new phonebook and deleting the default you will solve the problem. (if the rebuild and optimize didn’t help)

bluejay

Thanks, folks. The new phonebook seemed like a good idea, but when I tried it, the program bluntly told me that this feature is not available in this edition [Basic]. I suppose there is a last-ditch solution: uninstall the program (which is not very easy with WinFax!) and then re-enter all of my phonebook listings. Now, he wondered, can I print out the phonebook listings? Can I create a text list and then import them? Stay tuned.

Anonymous

yikes, sorry, I forgot you are using Basic Edition..so you will have these limitations. You can probably delete (or move) all the MY-PH-BK*.* files in the DATA directory and then restart WinFax Basic Edition, it will create a new phonebook (empty)
    this will WIPE out all your phonebook data…so you probably want to back those files up, or if you can , export the data (which may not work in basic edition)

bluejay

The bad news is that WinFax Basic is just no darn good. It is top-heavy, cumbersome, unstable and buggy.
    The good news is that I have installed CallCenter, available at http://www.v3fax.com/. It’s free, stable, feature-rich and so far has been providing excellent service for me. The phonebook is just fine, thanks! . I recommend it highly. Also has a telephone command center for messages, caller ID etc. However, I am not using those features and cannot say how good they are.
    Thanks to all.

Anonymous

If you don’t like the Basic Edition, you won’t like the PRO version either. The BASIC Edition is exactly the same as PRO, only feature reduced.

as for Call Center, Looks good, do you have a voice modem to try any of the voice features? I might check it out….

bluejay

Unfortunately I don’t have a voice modem which is the reason for my not commenting on the telephony features. But if it’s as good as the rest…

(Edited by bluejay at 3:59 pm on Feb. 12, 2002)

bluejay

The bad news is that WinFax Basic is just no darn good. It is top-heavy, cumbersome, unstable and buggy.
    The good news is that I have installed CallCenter, available at http://www.v3fax.com/. It’s free, stable, feature-rich and so far has been providing excellent service for me. The phonebook is just fine, thanks! . I recommend it highly. Also has a telephone command center for messages, caller ID etc. However, I am not using those features and cannot say how good they are.
    Thanks to all.

My printer has pc fax what I want to be able to do is send a document from the pc fax to a normal fax machine by using their fax number. If I were to get the winfax can I do that.

For example.

Scan document
    use the pc fax
    enter 1-800-555-5555
    and then it prints on paper to there fax machine

Anonymous

@impatientmommy wrote:

My printer has pc fax what I want to be able to do is send a document from the pc fax to a normal fax machine by using their fax number. If I were to get the winfax can I do that.

For example.

Scan document
    use the pc fax
    enter 1-800-555-5555
    and then it prints on paper to there fax machine

No, WinFax requires a “Class 1, Class 2 or Class 2.0” type fax modem. Usually Printers with built in Fax don’t support these features or may be incompatible with WinFax PRO.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.