Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    allenle

I uninstalled winfax on one of my computers and reinstalled it, but now I cannot connect to the host anymore. It says Setup cannot connect to winfax pro host Reason (access denied).

I am using 10.03 and I followed the instructions again exactly to add the controller to the windows firewall, do the netsh enable firewall, and add the anonymous user to edit limits. I have uninstalled it on the other computers before and have never had a problem.

Anyone know what else I can try?

JohnD
    Participant

I found these suggestions on another Web site, not sure if any of these suggestions work but you might want to take a look at them…

I have been extremely frustrated (to say the least) by Symantec’s obvious lack of support for WinFax.

I have tried every possible combination of fixes, as most of you have, and found the following:

I updated to ver 10.04.

I followed every step of symantec’s Doc ID 2004071911425704 re:Fax Sharing client cannot connect to host after installing Windows XP SP2.

And what I believe to be the true solution on my network was simply to open port 1090 on the local subnet in Norton Antivirus’ Internet Worm Protection (or Zone Alarm, or other firewall) on the host computer. Prior to doing this, I couldn’t get past the RPC error messages, no matter how my network was configured.

I have not altered my original network configuration in any other way, other than to change that one port setting, and it has worked the way it should.

and…

I have found solution for WINFax10 network user access issues.
    You do not need to create separate accounts or give admin rights to the users on the WINFAX Host PC.Just add the user under the Component Services,My Computer Properties described in the Symantec work around articles.I created a group and gave the group access under Com Security Access Permissions.Click the edit default Security add your group with remote access.Do the same for Launch and Activation Permissions and viola any user in your group can access the Host machine for faxing without full admin rights on the XP machine.You also need to follow this process on the client pc and give full rights to the C:program fileswinfax directory for access to the client software without admin rights

Anonymous

The first suggestion is really solved by unblocking “wfxctl32.exe” in your Firewall, and/or Internet Worm Protection software.

In Norton AntiVirus, make sure Internet Worm Protection is configured to allow “wfxctl32.exe” to permit all traffic. This is done in the “Program Control” option.

v3locity

we may have the same problem. My host is our winfax server, thats all its used for. we were having problems with it not disconnecting calls so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. It crashed during the uninstall process and never finished. I had to go through and search for files and registry entries and delete them because it would not let me install because of a “previous installation” Eventually I found the offending files and removed them. It’s worked great since with the exception of the client/host setup.

Anonymous

@v3locity wrote:

we may have the same problem. My host is our winfax server, thats all its used for. we were having problems with it not disconnecting calls so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. It crashed during the uninstall process and never finished. I had to go through and search for files and registry entries and delete them because it would not let me install because of a “previous installation” Eventually I found the offending files and removed them. It’s worked great since with the exception of the client/host setup.

If uninstall fails, and you can’t uninstall using Add/Remove Programs and a reinstall fails because of the message “Cannot install until you uninstall previous version”. Here is what you can do so you can re-install WinFax without the need to go through manually erasing those registry keys.

Search for file(s) WFXUNIST.ISU, WFXBOOT.INI and WFXINST.LOG. If any of these are found, delete them.

Now, reboot the PC and reinstall WinFax PRO. The “previous install” message should no longer appear.

There is no need to delete existing WinFax/Delrina registry keys, because the install will recreate any registry keys that are missing or incomplete.

Edited By Moderator on 1154709823

allenle

thanks for the info I got it to work, but I ran into another issue.

The network at my office is setup all on a domain and I use my login to set everything up. The winfax connects to the host fine, but when the user logs in it connects, but says the database is corrupt and it is connected. I used the rebuild, but it says unable to rebuild. When we open the message manager it says access denied, but we are connected. When I login it works just fine.

I followed the instructions on the support for administrative rights by accessing the regaccess and adding the user, but it keeps popping up sayin that the registry has changed and needs to be restarted. I tried adding the user with the domain and without the domain and no luck? ANy suggestions?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.