Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

If uninstall fails, and you can’t uninstall using Add/Remove Programs and a reinstall fails because of the message “Cannot install until you uninstall previous version”. Here is what you can do so you can re-install WinFax PRO without the need to go through manually erasing those registry keys.

Search for file(s) WFXUNIST.ISU, WFXBOOT.INI and WFXINST.LOG. If any of these are found, delete them.

Now, reboot the PC and reinstall WinFax PRO. The “previous install” message should no longer appear.

There is no need to delete existing WinFax/Delrina registry keys, because the install will recreate any registry keys that are missing or incomplete.

Once you reinstall, you should be able to perform an uninstall if you wanted to remove the program completely.

jacksbusy

I was gratified to see that this is a common problem. I none of the three files you listed exist in my Winfax Folder on my hard drive or my Install CD. You recommendation to re-boot and then hold the shift key down did allow the Install process to boot up from the CD but of course it found an existing Winfax Pro and terminated. I have 10.3 and am trying to uninstall then re-install to hopefully get it working again.
    Do you have any other suggestions for how to uninstall this thing?

pm5559

I’m not able to re-install WinFax Pro 10.02, which was doing all kinds of strange things, because it won’t uninstall because it can’t locate WFXunist.isu. I tried deleting all files in Windows Explorer. One would not delete. I tried re-naming it but the same problems continue. I searched for the 3 files you said to delete but nothing was found. Anything else I can try?

Administrator
    Keymaster

@pm5559 wrote:

I’m not able to re-install WinFax Pro 10.02, which was doing all kinds of strange things, because it won’t uninstall because it can’t locate WFXunist.isu. I tried deleting all files in Windows Explorer. One would not delete. I tried re-naming it but the same problems continue. I searched for the 3 files you said to delete but nothing was found. Anything else I can try?

you can try this, then reinstall WinFax PRO after it has been removed from the Add/Remove Programs list.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

C.P. Lewis

I am running XP Pro Sp2 and WinFax PRO 10.02. I have tried everything suggested in this discussion and in the “WinFax Pro hangs up, etc.” discussion to no avail.

Still when I try to re-install, get an error message “WinFax has detected an earlier version on this computer”, etc. and cannot continue.

Version 10.02 is the only version I have ever had.

Can someone please enlighten me!

Thanks CPL

JohnD
    Participant

there is a winfax clean patch in the premium downloads section
    http://www.getfaxing.com/downloads/index.php

or if you are not a premium subscriber you can follow the instructions here to remove WinFax from the Add/Remove Programs list if it has already been uninstalled (but for some reason failed to remove the entry in add/remove programs)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

Edited By JohnD on 1189538737

C.P. Lewis

Thanks for the info. JohnD but I had already used the kb 314481 method and that worked…additionally I have done a thorough search of my entire computer and removed everything that has any reference to WinFax and when I attempt to re-install it still says I have an earlier version…..???

JohnD
    Participant

did you also remove the Delrina registry keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER ?

C.P. Lewis

JohnD, after your last post, I removed the Delrina keys and WinFax worked, however, it somehow interfered with Outlook and if I used Outlook it would not shut down correctly. In addition, each time I re-booted I would have to go thru the program set-up (CSID, etc.).

So I dug Winfax out manually again…the Outlook repair fixed itself and I give up!

I think I’ll just look for a different program.

Thanks for your help.

CPL

JohnD
    Participant

@C.P. Lewis wrote:

JohnD, after your last post, I removed the Delrina keys and WinFax worked, however, it somehow interfered with Outlook and if I used Outlook it would not shut down correctly. In addition, each time I re-booted I would have to go thru the program set-up (CSID, etc.).

So I dug Winfax out manually again…the Outlook repair fixed itself and I give up!

I think I’ll just look for a different program.

Thanks for your help.

CPL

sorry you gave up on the program, the outlook issue can be fixed as it is a known problem (topic in the Logs & Phonebooks Forum)

as for the rebooting of the setup everytime you start the PC, that might have been a problem with the Configuration Wizard in your Startup group. Remove that, and it should have prevented the setup from repeated starts everytime the PC boots. (I’m sure there is a topic on this one too…)

Edited By JohnD on 1189636867

cfkull

I tried to uninstall WinFax 10.03 using add/remove which “encountered a problem” part way through. Now add/remove cannot remove because it cannot find the file it wants, WinFax won’t re-install because there is a prior version already there. I found and removed one of the 3 files you suggested, the other two are not on my hard drive anywhere. Re-booted and WinFax still won’t install because of previous installation. Norton removal tool wants add/remove programs run before continuing also. Funny this is WinFax has started working again even though the controller doesn’t automatically load on boot up. Suggestions for uninstalling / re-installing?

Administrator
    Keymaster

@cfkull wrote:

I tried to uninstall WinFax 10.03 using add/remove which “encountered a problem” part way through. Now add/remove cannot remove because it cannot find the file it wants, WinFax won’t re-install because there is a prior version already there. I found and removed one of the 3 files you suggested, the other two are not on my hard drive anywhere. Re-booted and WinFax still won’t install because of previous installation. Norton removal tool wants add/remove programs run before continuing also. Funny this is WinFax has started working again even though the controller doesn’t automatically load on boot up. Suggestions for uninstalling / re-installing?

see the link to the Microsoft document for removing the entry in the Add/Remove Programs list. you can then reinstall after applying these changes.

Premium members can download a patch file WinFax PRO 10.03 Install Removewhich can do this automatically for you, so you can install 10.03 overtop and existing version without messages.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.