Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    orkie

Does anyone have a suggestion for rebuilding send and receive logs after deletion as part of a Norton Removal Tool uninstall? I had to use the tool because of a Norton Internet Security 2008 conflict with MSN and inadvertantly removed data files as well as program for WinFax 10. Since then, have tried to rebuild/restore the logs to no avail. If the individual fax files are still there, are the dates/times/results embedded in those files or is that what is lost and thus no rebuild? I’ve tried all of the suggested methods in the Norton instructions, including optimize. Deleted the existing status.wfb file (it was 1 kb) and finally was able to send and receive again. Thanks!

Administrator
    Keymaster

From my understanding, the Norton Removal Tool doesn’t actually remove WinFax for you, it requires you to uninstall WinFax (from add/remove programs) before you can continue with the Norton Removal Tool to remove other Symantec programs. This has been a headache for many WinFax users. I have no idea why Symantec requires you to remove WinFax to remove other unrelated Norton programs. We’ve done this tedious step for our clients without having to uninstall WinFax at all.

The rebuild tool doesn’t “rebuild” entries that are missing (it doesn’t look in your DATA folder and rebuild based on the fax files that are in there). It fixes the log if corrupt entries are found within the log structure. If your log wasn’t corrupt to begin with, the rebuild tool doesn’t do anything to your logs.

If your status.wfb file was only 1K, and you deleted it, you’ll end up with an empty (new) log (WinFax will re-generate a new one). But if it was already 1K, it was probably empty to begin with. It sounds as if you moved your data folder while a component of WinFax was still running (like the WinFax Controller, or the WinFax Service) and ended up with a default (1K) status.wfb file, that wiped out your log. When you moved your data, you probably copied the remaining data and the status.wfb (probably much more > 1K) didn’t copy because it was in use by WinFax.

If you have a backup of the original folder (before you copied it back) you might be able to recover the data, but you’ll lose any existing faxes you’ve sent/received since then.

Edited By Moderator on 1241107379

orkie

Thank you much for the clear and quick response. That is exactly what I needed to know. Will have to give up on the old logs and will settle for keeping the files that generated the original logs. At least I have that content, even though I don’t know when they were sent or received. It was actually I who approved the deletion of the logs as part of the uninstall. Since I had the source files, I didn’t understand the full implication of saying ‘yes’ to deleting the data in the dialog box. Bad decision.

Thanks again.

JohnD
    Participant

IF you said YES to delete the data folder, all will be gone unless you made a backup before you uninstalled .

If you made a backup you can recover the logs providing you backed up properly..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.