Fax Software

Community Forums

This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  JohnD 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #8567

    JohnD
    Participant

    A DSL Internet phone line has a high frequency (internet high speed data) and a low frequency (voice & analog data), both can be used at the same time. Most consumer DSL services require filters to be added to every telephone extension in the home.

    Any telephone device (fax modems, fax machines, telephones, answering machines, TTY etc.) require a DSL filter to block out the high frequency. The high frequency noise on the line causes these devices to “hear” lot of static/line noise from the high frequency, effectively causing faxes to almost always fail.

    The DSL modem itself doesn’t need a filter, because it’s purpose is to use the high frequency signals on the DSL line. Filtering a DSL modem would cause performance issues, or make it not work at all. Some DSL modems may have a telephone extension where you can plug in a telephone directly, and you’re right, a filter usually isn’t needed for this.

    If you’re plugging your fax modem into your DSL modem’s telephone extension , then I would suggest plugging it directly into a filter, and then another telephone jack in your home.

    #8568

    pp-nookchow
    Member

    I have not given up.I have to go out of town until next Wednesday. Back then to try some more. Thanks very much for your time.

    #8569

    JohnD
    Participant

    No problem.

    When you try additional tests, try sending a single page instead of multiple pages. If your using the Send Test Fax option in WinFax Tools, remove the cover page so only the Printer Test page is sent. See if that makes any difference as success with a single page and failure with multiple pages is usually a problem with transmission (line noise, or fax modem settings like flow control)

    #8570

    pp-nookchow
    Member

    Well, all is good now. In the end, it could only be ‘fixed’ by a driver update for the Motorola SM56 Data Fax. However, looking for the updated drivers was the first thing I did before ever posting here. They simply could not be found, especially not for the modifications listed by the laptop builder, Compal. During the past week, I decided to try a driver update software. I have never been fond of them from what others say, and I have never used one before. But, I did and it wanted to update the Motorola drivers with some Dynex Modem drivers. It made no sense. Considering I just made an image of my PC, I decided to try the software and then the drivers and … IT WORKED! It beats the heck out of me. Faxes send immediately, correctly, the software works as it used to. ALL IS GOOD. I want to thank you fir your time. It is because we came no closer, yet because it sort of worked that I felt I had to try this.

    For anyone else with a SM56 modem, I used the DX-M102Drivers.zip listed on the Dynex website for their Model: DX-M102 (Dynex 56K V.92 PCI Internal Data/Fax Modem).

    Thanks ever so much. Fingers are crossed it keeps working after a reboot…..

    #8571

    JohnD
    Participant

    Good to hear, Have you had success in receiving faxes with the new driver?

    #8572

    pp-nookchow
    Member

    You just HAD to ask huh! Actually, yes, it sends AND receives fine BUT … there are still program issues. It seems that the context menu in the program at times has receive options grayed out and when they are not, regardless of how I change receive options in the controller context menu, it will not change to disable auto receive. Sometimes it will if I change it in the program menu. I need to do a few tests and see what is and isn’t working and post back. For now, it serves my purposes. I am on the road again for a few days. Be back soon to get his right.

    #8573

    JohnD
    Participant

    Try this, from another post with similar problem…

    I went back to the tools> modem config page and selected (from TAPI) to COM1, applied then changed it back to TAPI and saved that. The modem is on COM3 but that choice wasnt available on that screen, only COM1 and TAPI.
    So then I rebooted and Auto RX is enabled. Rebooted again and success was mine.
    Thanks alot for the very helpful instruction..

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.