Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Betto

Hi everyone.
    I am new to this forum. I write from Italy.

I have 6 computers in the company connected to a Winfax host, all of them are running Win2k in the company domain.
    Everything is working fine until users are connected to computer clients with administrative rights.
    I would like to give some restrictions to users for security reasons. But when I log in as normal user or power user winfax shows a message on startup asking to restart Windows, to apply the new configuration and refuses to connect to host.
    Of course, after the restart, Winfax shows the same message asking the restart and without connecting to host….

Any idea?

Thank you.

Betto

I forgot to say that I used Regaccess application to give the rights to users, but I had no solution.

Thanks again.

JohnD
    Participant

Translated to English, this error is the following in WinFax; “WinFax PRO has performed some changes on your system. You will need to restart Windows for changes to take effect. After reboot, please resume the Message Sharing Client setup process”

WinFax uses DCOM for client/host communication, if you are restricting user access then DCOM may also be restricted and not be available to this user, therefore you cannot use client/host sharing. REGACCES does only gives registry access to specific WinFax keys.

WinFax is attempting to check this key in registry;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOleDCOMEnabled

Possible values are “Y” and “N” . If set to “N”, WinFax will set to “Y”.

If you have policy to restrict this, it will never set to “Y” after reboot and revert back to “N”.

Betto

🙂
    Wow!
    I ran regedt32, found the registry key, changed authorizations….. it works!

Thanks a lot.
    🙂

JohnD
    Participant

You’re welcome.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.