Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lennyli

Like the user who posted his trouble at

http://groups.google.com.hk/groups?….&rnum=1

some years ago.

Now we are having the same problem. Our Winfax 10 on WinXP pro cannot connect to the winfax 10 host running on a win2k server. The problem is INTERMITTENT, even after we restart both the server and the client PC, the same problem happens when the user tries to read received fax on the client software. Does anyone has any clues what fix is available? The server (host) has fixed IP, and the client PC is on DHCP.

Anonymous

These are Symantec’s recommendations

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….3422104

lennyli

Thanks for the reply, but we have already tried all the methods described in Symantec’s website. If (since) the frequency of the error is quite high, if we do it according to Symantec’s proposal (which means we have to restart the computer), the users cannot tolerate having to restart their PCs a few times a day (including the host server PC). The point is, there should be no reason why the connection between client and host computer is lost if the host is still reachable via ping during the occurrence of the error message!

lennyli

Sorry, please let me correct myself. The Winfax host is running on Windows XP Pro also. I have checked the version of oleaut32.dll on both host and client, they’re the same.

So what can we do to make the connection reliable??

Anonymous

I doubt this is much you can do to make it more reliable, generally, if its the same operating system and you’re using static (fixed) IP for the Host you should be OK. It might be better to used static IP for the clients as well (if this is possible)

Making sure both client and host are running the same service packs for Windows XP is also recommended.

We have a similar setup on a small network, and the host is running Windows 98SE and the client Windows 2000. We rarely have any issues with connecting, if there is a problem usually is it resolved by restarting the Host and then restarting the clients (allowing enough time for the Host to first reboot and wait for connections from clients)

DutchSpirit

Perhaps an obvious remark, but when you say that the host is on windows XP is perhaps the internal firewall enabled ??
    because this can also block your clients 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.