Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    davidmd

I wanted to use my old software on my new Dell laptop, so I installed XP Home. The only program that will not install is Winfax pro. It gives me an error of drv. or printer files not loaded. Winfax loaded easy onto my desktop which has XP Home. I have a printer loaded, so why does it say there are no printer files? I also tried the compatibility wizard with no luck. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Keymaster

you’ll have to be more specific on the error message, what is the exact error message and when does it occur within the installation ?

Does it allow you to continue the installation? or does it halt the install process when the error appears?

davidmd

I tried to load it again and this is what happened.
    At start copying files the first error reads,
    Uninstaller failed to initialize. You may not be able to uninstall this product. I then click OK.
    Second error. Error occured while copying files: component:progra~1symantecwinfaxfax.AVI Error number: -115. I then click ok.
    Third error. An error occured during the move data process:~-115. I click ok, then the install screen is gone. Any ideas? I do have the SP3 loaded onto the new laptop, a Dell Vostro 1700 with XP now. If I can get this to work it would be great.

Administrator
    Keymaster

This error indicates a problem with the installshield applicaton that WinFax is using to perform the installation. Usually, this error can be caused by temporary files left over from a previous install , so I recommend removing any temporary files in your temp folder.

If you continue getting the error, try copying the contents of the WINFAX folder on the CD ROM to your hard drive, remove the CD ROM and then perform the installation by double-clicking SETUP.EXE from the WINFAX folder stored on the hard drive.

Other possible solutions are booting Windows XP in a clean boot state, so you can perform the installation.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Other option is SAFE Mode, which is the last resort if the installation fails after trying the above options. This method might prevent you from setting up and detecting the fax modem during the installation process, however, the install can still complete and you would setup the fax modem after the computer reboots in normal mode.

Edited By Moderator on 1217534578

davidmd

ok. the only way i could load winfax is on safe mode. now that its loaded, when i go to open it up it says “the following error occured when attempting to open a folder. “no access” A system error occured. that drive is write protected”. I then clik ok. Then I go to tools to get into set up to configure the modem. Another error comes up “A general protect fault/exception has occured”. Any ideas on this? Thank you for the help so far. At least its loaded now. It just needs to be tweeked a bit so I can use it.

Administrator
    Keymaster

Go to the installation folder on your hard drive (in your case, its probably c:program filessymantecwinfax) , locate WTNSETUP.EXE and double-click it and follow the installation screens until completion.

davidmd

thanks for your help. after i put in the CSID and tab or click down to put in the fax number or phone number the install screen closes with no warnings or error messages. its frustrating, i’m so close to getting it to work. Also my modem is not listed in the choices under tool, modem properties. It also said once that the spooler was not working or installed. any options left?

Administrator
    Keymaster

Try this:

start, run, type “cmd”
    at a command prompt, type “net stop spooler”
    printer spooler should now be stopped (all printer functions will now stop)
    repeat install by running “wtnsetup.exe” from WinFax folder.
    When you are presented with the “CSID/Fax Number screen” do not enter any details, do not click TAB or move move overtop these fields. Click “NEXT” without entering any information on this screen.

Go through the setup.

After completed, reboot the computer. This will automatically restart the printer spooler
    (if not, you can always repeat the steps and type “net start spooler” to start it up again)

To resolve the CSID/Fax Number see the following document regarding
    http://www.getfaxing.com/cgi-bin/ib315/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=17;t=412

Edited By Moderator on 1217627249

Administrator
    Keymaster

Also, I have seen cases where some HP printer software that is active will cause the printer spooler to not stop. This may be preventing the WinFax printer drivers from installing properly. You might have to close the HP software, then manually stop the spooler then attempt the WTNSETUP process again.

You can also attempt to install the two WinFax printer drivers manually by double-clicking INSTPRNT.EXE from the WinFax folder.

davidmd

Alright, I was able to get the modem assigned. I restarted windows and now when I open winfax a message comes up “The following error occured when attempting to open a folder. “No access” A system error occured. That device is write protected. I click ok and open tools to look at the modem that was just installed another error comes up. “A Gemeral Protect Fault/Exception has occured. I have a feeling this is going to take awhile. Is it bett to upgrade to 10.3, purchase online? Or would i have the same problems.

Administrator
    Keymaster

What version of WinFax are you using?

Close Winfax and the controller if already open.

In the WinFax folder, locate and rename the DATA folder to DATAOLD.

Start WinFax.

A new DATA folder with a default log and phonebook should now be created.

Do you continue to get the “No Access” error message?

davidmd

I have the WINFax Pro 10.0.

I went to change the Data folder to Dataold and the error came up. “Cannot rename Data Access is denied”
    “Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use”.

I did not have Winfax open when I tried to change it.

JohnD
    Participant

For Windows to report that error, then some other application or folder is already open.

Make sure all windows are closed, and all applications are closed before renaming the folder.

You may have the Controller active (wfxctl32.exe) , Fax Manager (faxmng32.exe), the WinFax Modem Controllers (wfxmod32.exe) or the WinFax Service active (wfxsvc.exe)

davidmd

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier, but business got a little crazy. Ok, I was able to rename the data folder to dataold. Now when Winfax starts up the verifying database windown pops up, but then right after the error pops up “An error was found when examing the database. Do you want to attempt to fix it?” When I click on yes the error pops up ” A General Protection fault has occured. The program will shut down. Please restart”.

JohnD
    Participant

Some other software that is loaded is conflicting with WinFax, or the installation didn’t complete properly. I’d suggest uninstall and reinstall of the software. Make sure you install the software while logged in as Administrator or a user with Administrator privledges, and boot Windows XP in a clean state to avoid conflict with other applications.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.