Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TALONTRAX

Somehow the drag & drop depot icon disappeared from my desktop. I can`t find the application anywhere in the program installation folder. Is there any way to restore this feature without having to re-install Winfax ??

Administrator
    Keymaster

@TALONTRAX wrote:

Somehow the drag & drop depot icon disappeared from my desktop. I can`t find the application anywhere in the program installation folder. Is there any way to restore this feature without having to re-install Winfax ??

you can manually create the desktop icon by creating a windows shortcut,
    right-click desktop, new -> shortcut
    and point it to “C:Program FilesWinFaxWfxCtl32.exe”

then, right-click the desktop icon and click properties,
    adjust the target to add the -fd flags to the target.

example:

TARGET/Location: “C:Program FilesWinFaxWFXCTL32.EXE” -fd

and start in should look like:

“C:Program FilesWinFax”

TALONTRAX

Awesome . . . That was what I needed. I didn`t know which “exe” in the installation folder was the drag & drop, Thanks ! Also, I added the same shortcut to the “send to” folder in documents & settings. Now, all I have to do is right click my file to be faxed & “send to” the new shortcut, & that works also. Btw . . . what is the purpose/reason for the -fd extension/suffix ?? that is interesting . . .

Administrator
    Keymaster

@TALONTRAX wrote:

Awesome . . . That was what I needed. I didn`t know which “exe” in the installation folder was the drag & drop, Thanks ! Also, I added the same shortcut to the “send to” folder in documents & settings. Now, all I have to do is right click my file to be faxed & “send to” the new shortcut, & that works also. Btw . . . what is the purpose/reason for the -fd extension/suffix ?? that is interesting . . .

wfxctl32.exe is the WinFax Controller that stays resident in memory and displayed on the system tray when WinFax is active. The drag and drop fax depot is a feature built into the Controller. The -fd command line option tells the Controller that you’re “dragging and dropping” a document, so it expects a filename (the document you drag and drop). Drag and drop also works when you leave the Send Screen Dialog open, and drag and drop files to the open thumbnail preview window.

TALONTRAX

Thanks for the explanation. I did a search for laughs on .exe switches, & didn`t really find much on the topic. I did, however, create another identical shortcut on the desktop(with a different name)without the -fd switch & it worked also, even with the winfax controller off. Anyway, problem solved & thank you for your help & expertise !

Administrator
    Keymaster

@TALONTRAX wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I did a search for laughs on .exe switches, & didn`t really find much on the topic. I did, however, create another identical shortcut on the desktop(with a different name)without the -fd switch & it worked also, even with the winfax controller off. Anyway, problem solved & thank you for your help & expertise !

You won’t find anything documented on the specific switches for the WinFax controller, since these are internal settings that were programmed by the developers of WinFax. The -fd options were obtained by examining an existing (working) shortcut that was installed. From what I can see, the f switch tells WinFax you’re going to attach a file, and the d switch displays a message about the Drag and Drop feature in the event you just double-clicked the icon. You can see this by double-clicking the shortcut. With the -fd switch, a friendly message is displayed. Without the switch, no message is displayed and controller is opened (which could confuse a first time user of WinFax). So, It looks like you are right, you don’t actually need the switch at all for it to work.

TALONTRAX

Great info . . . & thanks. Now i`m left with the mystery of how/why the original desktop icon disappeared in the 1st. place . . . ? ? ? Thanks again for the great info !!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.