Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jfreeman

Please help troubleshoot an intermittent problem accepting incoming faxes via Winfax. All had been working well with no changes to our network when suddenly we only receive some faxes. An incoming fax would come in, winfax answers (set to answer on 2nd ring), negotiates and then drops the fax. Modem is US Robotics 5610C PCI card type modem. We can send faxes ok. I purged the send and receive logs with no improvement.

jfreeman

One observation which may or may not be related. I found one TMP file in the Winfax data folder. i.e. 3396TMP.TMP. If I delete it, exit and then restart Winfax, another TMP folder with different numbers takes its place. Is this just usual behavior I have discovered now or is it related?

jfreeman

The above should say “another TMP file” not folder. Also, on 4/7/11 around 4:50PM EST we sent a test fax to 1-888-473-2963 and did not receive a return fax.

Administrator
    Keymaster

what type of telephone line are you using? if you are using a VoIP (also known as digital phone from many cable companies) this may be the source of the problem.

jfreeman

I’m using a telephone line dedicated specifically for faxing, it is not VoIP.

Administrator
    Keymaster

do you have any other devices on the same line? such as answering machine, fax machine/printer/all in one device? If another device tries to answer while the fax modem is attempting to receive a fax, the WinFax incoming fax will fail.

The temp files are normal, they should automatically delete after you exit the Controller.

jfreeman

No, there are no other devices using the line. Winfax is loaded on a dedicated client acting as a host on the network. There are no other devices on the client which is used only for faxing. The modem is connected directly to the fax phone line.

Administrator
    Keymaster

Do you have Windows Fax Service “fxssvc.exe” active? if so, disable the service.

You can also try resetting the modem settings in WinFax by holding down SHIFT and clicking PROPERTIES in the Modem Setup. This will allow you to reconfigure the modem. If you made any custom changes like Class 1 to Class 2.0, you will have to redo these changes after you reset. (so check your current settings before you reset them)

jfreeman

I do not have Windows Fax Service running. I tried resetting the modem settings, changed Class 1 to Class 2. I upgraded the firmware on the modem. I thought I selected a good modem but I’m beginning to feel I made a wrong choice. The majority of faxes come through fine but those from certain organizations are being dropped on a regular basis. We have a stand alone fax machine and it can usually receive from these organizations ok. What do you recommend?

Administrator
    Keymaster

you can try AT&F1 as the initialization string settings for the U.S. Robotics modem.

1: AT&F1
    2:
    3:
    4:

Flow Control: AT&H1
    Use Hardware Flow Control Checked
    Reset : ATZ

jfreeman

Thank you again. I’ve decided to try a different modem. I’m trying a Multitech MT5634ZBA-USB-V92 modem. Do you have any experience with this modem and do you have any recommendations for the Winfax settings for it?

Administrator
    Keymaster

No experience with this model and WinFax. It should support both Class 1 and 2 for WinFax.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.