Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Can you use WinFax with DSL? Sure you can. However, you need to realize that your DSL modem isn’t a “dial-up” modem, that is you can’t have your DSL modem dial up another fax machine and send a fax. To send a fax, it will have to use “TCP/IP” the protocol used for the internet. To be able to send faxes via the internet with your DSL modem you need to subscribe to a fax service provider. There is only one available that is compatible with WinFax, concord fax services based in Seattle Washington. For details see http://www.concordfax.com/services/services.asp?dist=1900

Anonymous

People call them DSL “modems” because the term describes the gear in ways people understand today.

Actually, the DSL equipment is a network termination device with a micro-router inside. It doesn’t really make calls the way a traditional modem does. Nor can it be used to place calls to a traditional modem. That is why you still need a fax modem installed on your PC if you plan to make fax calls to other traditional fax machines that are used around the world!

Because a regular analog line rides on a separate channel along with the DSL circuit, you can still use a fax machine, a modem, an answering machine, etc. You can still do any of the things you do today over your phone circuit.

Note: The DSL portion only works as your Internet connection. If you still want to dial in to to other places or send faxes, you must leave your modem installed in the computer.

However, that analog traffic will tie up the voice line portion of a DSL circuit. For instance, if you have an outgoing fax on the voice line, you will not be able to accept an incoming call. In other words, it’s just like the situation today.

The difference is this: even if you’re on the phone with a voice call or a fax, you’ll be able to have high-speed connections to the net at the same time. The high-speed data channel runs over a different channel on the phone wire.

You will be able to use all your existing phone gear without a change.

Anonymous

Sometimes, people experience problems on the “voice” side of the DSL when using WinFax. The signals applied in conjunction with DSL tend to interfer with some modems and because of this, Symantec will not support the use of DSL for faxing.

Anonymous

Hi WFXPaul,
    with regards to DSL/ADSL, if you are sending faxes on a line using a standard analog modem (for example, a 56Kbps fax modem) you should have a filter on the line where the modem is plugged into to so it doesn’t interfere with the DSL portion of the line. That should resolve sending issues with WinFax.

if you are refering to sending a fax via the DSL (internet) connection, then the analog fax modem is not even used so “sending” problems don’t exist because the carrier (Concord Fax) is actually doing the job of sending the fax, all you are doing with WinFax is sending the page to Concord (via an internet connection)

Anonymous

Hello Moderator,

We’re aware of using filters on the voice side of DSL modem telephone lines and although this may solve the issue, we are not seeing 100% success. It is the policy of the WinFax technical support staff to require a standard POTS line and standard modem to offer support on send and receive issues. HOwever, as I tell my customers, if it’s working for you Great!

Anonymous

Most send/receive problems are issues with the fax modem and WinFax, also sometimes a conflict with another device or software installed on the system. My guess that the problem isn’t specific to the DSL line, it is the hardware/software combination.

I would bet that what you are actually encountering is not related to the DSL “phone line” but likely a problem with the hardware installed in this machine! (which is likely caused by the modem, network card, dsl hardware + software etc)

If you take a known working WinFax machine, and plug it into this same DSL line, it would probably send and receive just fine — which would cancel the theory that the DSL line is the problem, since the DSL line is simply a POTS!

Now i’m not saying that it isn’t possible that the DSL line is a problem, it is just unlikely — because if it was a problem, then you would have problems with making connections via any device on your phone line (data modem, physical fax machine etc.) and that is beyond a WinFax problem.

Anonymous

Okay – but after working for the WinFax group for quite some time, the position is “Are you connecting via DSL? Symantec will not support your problems until you have connected to a standard phone line”. Don’t believe me? Call tech support and tell them you’re having problems sending and receiving and that you use DSL. Let me know what the answer was. lol

Anonymous

Quote: from WFXPaul on 10:43 pm on Dec. 21, 2001
    Okay – but after working for the WinFax group for quite some time, the position is “Are you connecting via DSL? Symantec will not support your problems until you have connected to a standard phone line”. Don’t believe me? Call tech support and tell them you’re having problems sending and receiving and that you use DSL. Let me know what the answer was. lol

Yes, I believe you. There is even mention the same in one of the symantec on-line documents regarding DSL. Do you provide support for WinFax? or do you mean you’ve dealt with symantec support often?

Anonymous

I have been working on the WinFax staff since they pulled out of Canada and restructured in Eugene, Oregon.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.