Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    srsimike

i get this error, off an on, when SENDING faxes.
    the instruction at “0x1010f703” referenced memory at “0x04660e30”. The memory couldn not be “read”. Click on ok to terminate the program.

We are using ACT 6.0.3.979, with windows xp, service pack 3, and winfax 10.03

When i get this error it usually shows another winfax icon in the task bar and i have to totally shut down the computer and restart it for faxes to go again.

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Keymaster

Does this erorr occur in the middle of sending a fax? or before it starts transmission of the fax?
    Do you see Referenced Memory errors in other applications? or just when using WinFax?

srsimike

Does this erorr occur in the middle of sending a fax? or before it starts transmission of the fax?

BEFORE the fax starts. It when it tries to populate the cover page from the ACT phonebook.

Do you see Referenced Memory errors in other applications? or just when using WinFax?

No. The only time we see it is in Winfax.

Today it happened, and afterwards, we were able to fax again WITHOUT restarting the computer.
    But it happens WAY too much.

Administrator
    Keymaster

These errors are difficult to diagnose, because they could be related to another program in use with WinFax (ACT?) , or combination of WinFax, another application, and the fax modem drivers. In some cases, although rare, it could be hardware related (RAM memory)

The first place to start would be checking your Virtual Memory settings. Simply adjusting them, or recreating a new paging file sometimes can help.

In this document, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417
    see Step 2: Manually manage computer memory
    – How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file
    – How to manually optimize the memory usage

You can try that and see if you notice any change in operation of WinFax.

srsimike

Would adding more ram to these computers be beneficial?

srsimike

For instance, trying to send a fax today:
    error 1:
    http://www.5dollarnachos.com/pictures/1.jpg

error2:
    http://www.5dollarnachos.com/pictures/2.jpg

After this, it gave me the same error i posted in the beginning. Then when you exit out of winfax and try to merge another document from ACT, it says “send” is currently in use.

Administrator
    Keymaster

WinFax consists of more than one program, so when your system crashes with the WinFax error, other components of WinFax are active. You need to shut those “orphaned” programs as well, or else WinFax won’t properly start again unless you reboot. Try “End all WinFax Tasks” in WinFax Tools, then once all tasks are shut down, you can restart WinFax by clicking “Start Controller” If End All Tasks doesn’t close all the tasks, then you need to manually end tasks, this can be done by clicking “Task Manager”, then clicking Processes Tab. Select the process, then “End Task” one at a time, once you’ve ended all the tasks you can then restart WinFax by clicking “Start Controller” in WinFax Tools.

The WinFax tasks are as follows

wfxsnt40.exe
    wfxswtch.exe (winfax pro 10.02 and up only under XP)
    wfxmod32.exe
    wfxctl32.exe
    faxmng32.exe

I also suggest the following:

1.Start WinFax Tools. Click “Check for Updates” to update WinFax Tools to the latest version (included with your subscription, enter your user id and password to access the download)
    2.Click WinFax No Pages Fix. Click Yes to start the check. Click Yes to check compatibility settings. This option checks to ensure all the settings for WinFax are configured for Windows XP.
    3.Click OK to the “Done processing” message.
    4.Click Fix Viewer DLL Security button. Click OK to continue. (NOTE: A Windows XP security update from April 2010 makes this option obsolete, but you should NOT skip this step. If WinFax Tools detects the security update has already been applied by a Windows XP update, it will report this.)
    5.Click “Fix Entry Problem” button. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    6.Reboot computer. NOTE: A reboot is necessary for the changes to be applied by Windows XP for step 5.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@srsimike wrote:

Would adding more ram to these computers be beneficial?

yes, but it may not solve the problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.