Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    paulcarter
    Participant

what do you think about these modem:
    1.HiRO H50113 V.92 56K External USB Data/Fax/Voice Modem, RoHS Compliance
    it has a Conexant chipset.
    (right now i am using internal US robotics modem and have been working around my send and receive problems.)
    2. choice is: StarTech USB56KEM2 Fax Modem – 56k, V.92, USB(dont know chipset)
    3. TRENDnet TFM-560U 56k (V.90) High Speed USB Fax Modem( i have seen on forum people having trouble with product TRENDnet modems)
    OUT OF THESE 3 EXTERNAL MODEMS WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE WITH WINFAXPRO FIRST AND SECONDLY WHAT NEW MODEM WOULD YOU CHOOSE(i have read in format that rockwell external modems were recommended but not sold anymore and I am looking for new).

Administrator
    Keymaster

I would not recommend a USB modem (for WinFax) unless you have no other option, like a notebook or no available slots in your PC. USB modems are usually software based modems.

Conexant is the best chipset to use. (the most common chipsets are Conexant (formally Rockwell), Agere, and Smartlink.) Smartlink type chipsets are problematic and should be avoided if possible. There are few “chipset” manufacturers, but hundreds of modem manfacturers. Modem manufacturers modify the chipset to customize for their own modems, so it is difficult to recommend a specfic modem as a Conexant Brand X modem is not the same as Conexant Brand B modem.

paulcarter
    Participant

I am confused because time and time again you tell me external modem is better than internal modem and now you say dont use it unless you have no other option. Can you clarify..
    the 1.HiRO H50113 V.92 56K External USB Data/Fax/Voice Modem, RoHS Compliance
    it has a Conexant chipset. this modem has a chipset.
    Can you be more specific or better yet send me link for external modem that would work well with winfax

Administrator
    Keymaster

Sorry for the confusion, but a USB External modem and a Serial port External Modem are not the same. They use a different interface to the PC. (USB vs. a Serial RS232 port) Most new computers no longer have serial port included on the motherboard (they can be purchased separately as an add-on card), also all current notebooks no longer include serial ports. USB is an easier and quick solution for a external modem when compared to a serial external modem, but is not a better solution for sending & receiving faxes and from my experience does not do too well with WinFax.

This may help explain the three types of modems that are available:
    http://www.usr.com/education/modem2.asp
    (note this has nothing to do with class 1, class 2 fax setting of the modem which is specific for how the modem communicates with the fax software when faxing)

order of preference:

1. serial external modems OR controller based internal modems
    2. controller-less based modems
    3. “softmodem”.

Most USB modems fall into the “softmodem” category, but some manufacturers produce USB modems with a controller.

U.S. Robotics have controller based internal models, and a serial external model, you can also check out the controller based or serial models offered by http://www.zoomtel.com/products/dial_up_overview.html

paulcarter
    Participant

Going by your first choice and the link to look at modem would you review your link on zoom model 3049-V.92 56K External Serial Modem. is this windows 2000 compatible and would this be your first choice now in a windows 2000 or xp?-If you can please answer yes or no. Also I have never used an external modem with winfax so I have more than one question:
    1. Will winfax recognize new modem, Do I need to hold down shift key and click property in modem basically in short reconfigure winfax modem and thats it?
    2. will the external serial modem be able to receive faxes when power is on and when winfax controller closes or computer is off?
    3. What changes can I expect?

Administrator
    Keymaster

The Zoom link indicates this modem is “Plug and Play for automatic configuration with Windows 98SE, Me, 2000,XP and Vista”. I am not sure what you are asking for me to answer Yes or No. This modem should work fine in Windows XP or Windows 2000.

1. WinFax will detect all modems on the system and list each modem that is configured in Windows in the modems & communications devices setup area.
    No you do not need to hold down shift/properties but you do need to go into the setup and configure the modem by selecting it and ensuring it is set as active. Modems are not set as active unless you do so, it will prompt you to configure the modem at this time.

2. No, this external modem will not receive faxes when the computer is off, and/or if WinFax is not active.

3. External modem operate exactly the same as an internal fax modem. There is no difference in how to send, or receive faxes within WinFax software. There are physical differences between internal vs. external, such as external (serial) modems require a separate power adapter, serial cable etc.

paulcarter
    Participant

The yes and no question before let me explain. What I meant is if you yourself needed to replace modem to use with winfaxpro is or would the link of couple modems you sent is the zoom model 3049-V.92 56K External Serial Modem be your first preference of choice? if not and you had to pick just one modem right now can you send me link for the one you would choose for yourself.
    Secondly is there a external serial modem out there that could answer fax when computer is off and input it in winfax when computer starts up?

Administrator
    Keymaster

@paulcarter wrote:

The yes and no question before let me explain. What I meant is if you yourself needed to replace modem to use with winfaxpro is or would the link of couple modems you sent is the zoom model 3049-V.92 56K External Serial Modem be your first preference of choice? if not and you had to pick just one modem right now can you send me link for the one you would choose for yourself.
    Secondly is there a external serial modem out there that could answer fax when computer is off and input it in winfax when computer starts up?

the 3049 modem is available in two different models the 3049C and the 3049L. The C is for Connexant and the L is for Lucent/Agere (chipsets)
    The first choice would be the 3049C

There are external serial modems that can receive and store faxes in memory directly (U.S. Robotics had a few models), however, the ones that were supported by WinFax are no longer manufacturered. I do not recommend these for use with WinFax.

paulcarter
    Participant

I cannot find model 3049C. Just 3049. I just want to make sure I buy the right one. when I click model 3049 from the link of a couple modems you sent before it shows the following when I start to buy it:
    Zoom External V.92/V.44 Fax Modem (Conexant) Model: 3049-00-00DG
    is model 3049-00-00DG the same as you said was model 3049C(dont mean to be stupid, just want to be sure I buy your first preference of choice for modem with winfaxpro).

Administrator
    Keymaster

Yes, if it says Conexant then it is the correct one.

paulcarter
    Participant

I finally found model 3049C at the computer store but it wasnt easy. It says model 3049C on the bottom of modem itself but not on the box or trying to order it online. I do see a improvement. There are still sometimes the modem goes into negotiating when sending fax but does not go into training. ??

Administrator
    Keymaster

Glad to hear you have replaced the software modem with a brand name, serial hardware modem such as the Zoom. Zoom has been providing reliable modems for many years. The issue with finding a “Conexant” type modem is a common issue. Sometimes manufacturers will switch the chipset with another while retaining the same model of modem. Reasons for this could be economical, or availibility of chips from certain manufacturers. This can be confusing when you ask for a specific chipset, because to many computer dealers/retailers only refer to the brand / model #. In this case, Zoom created two different models that I am aware of (its possible the Lucent version has been discontinued , and they only continue to only produce the Conexant now.) Zoom may only label the differences on the bottom of the modem itself, and not anywhere on the outer box. This modem has been available since early 2002 or so it has seen some revisions.

you should see impovement in sending and receiving.
    Errors when sending could be line noise or a problem on the receiver side. Generally, you’ll never get 100% results with all your faxes on the first attempt of a fax call. If you get repeated errors on sending the same fax to the same destination, then you should investigate what machine you are sending to (if this is possible)
    “Negotiating…” doesn’t always suggest it has linked to a fax machine. In some cases, you’ll see this message when you call an answering machine , or a voice picks up and says “Hello”. WinFax may incorrectly report “Negotiating..” to a voice message, it will never get to the “Training…” portion of the call.
    As well, some receivers fax machines and fax software (like WinFax, FaxTalk) may block certain faxes from being received if caller ID is blocked, your CSID is missing, you mask your Caller ID or use another fax number that is unfamiliar to the receiver. This is not so common, but possible.

paulcarter
    Participant

Let me explain when I said before and I quote: There are still sometimes the modem goes into negotiating when sending fax but does not go into training end quote…heres what I should have also mentioned. This problem happened on my time warner phone line. when I switch and plug phone line into verizon(I have 2 phone lines) it sends the fax out. the time warner phone line comes in through a cable. Does this mean it is a VOIP line? I believe I read in forum the VOIP lines are not preference of choice. this is question 1.
    my second question: I am having problem with call status answering fax when it starts up. When phone rings I hear computer going to work to bring it up but even on the 4th.ring it still has not appeared on the screen. I have to pick up call on 4th. ring so it does not go to voice message. afterwards generally pops up on screen on first ring. I dont know how to tell the computer to load the call status when I start winfax. Can you help?
    On a different note the new modem you recommended works flawlessly on verizon or so far as I have seen. I am cancelling time warner phone line that I think is VOIP line.

Administrator
    Keymaster

Yes, according to Time Warner it is VoIP , but it is a private network (so it doesn’t go through public internet) but this doesn’t mean much because it is still internet and it is still VoIP and you are sharing bandwidth with all the other Time Warner customers. One day it might work fine, and the next day it might not because of packet loss and “jitter”. It doesn’t take much jitter to cause a fax to fail. These lines are designed for Voice only, and anything like a fax modem ,fax machine, credit card dialer, alarm system will not work reliably.

As for the call status window not appearing, Is it the entire status window that does not appear? or the animated fax machine ?
    Have you tried clicking manual receive when you start WinFax, and then cancel the receive? Does that help for the next call you receive?

paulcarter
    Participant

its the animated fax machine that does not appear when taking the first call when computer starts up. computer/winfax can be on for several hours and still happens when first call comes. its was not always like this but I never had 1700 phonebook listings before either. I have read forum abit, others make my phonebook look small, I believe I read theres no limit or 10,000.00 is the limit?
    Back to the animated Fax Machine, I was thinking about that before of clicking manual receive to see if it helps. Today I restarted the computer and winfax, then click manual receive as you suggested. it took 25 seconds for animated fax machine to appear on screen to answer call. after cancelling and retrying it a second time it appears in one second. is there a folder in winfax for this animated fax machine that can be examined to see if its working properly or settings that can be made so it does not take 25 seconds to answer first call after starting up?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘external modems’ is closed to new replies.