Fax Software

Community Forums

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mdavidson 16 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

sadinw

I’m trying to do a Word 2002 Winfax Pro (10.02) mail merge to Concord Internet Fax, and discovered two problems (in addition to the problems using 10.02 with WinXP, Office XP):

1. The Winfax macro from Symantec sticks the entire fax # string into the Winfax Number field (WinFaxSend.SetNumber), while Concord wants to see international, a/c, and number in three fields. This was an easy macro fix.

2. You can’t fax merge to Concord without error. No matter how you set it up it fails. If you choose to “always use Concord” as a setup option and run the macro, every fax still tries to use the physical modem.

According to Concord, the problem is that they modify the Winfax “send” function and the SDK bypasses this function. Concord’s fix was to unplug the modem and let all the faxes wind up in the Winfax send log with errors. Then open up each fax and choose “resubmit,” which opens the WinFax “Send” dialog. Click “Send” and the fax will be correctly routed. Since I want to send 2,700 faxes this is a large pain.

If you set things up so there is no active modem in WinFax (i.e., just Concord) and then run a fax merge, things get worse. The faxes get “stuck” in Winfax (they sit in the outbox forever).

According to Concord, there is nothing they can do about this. Any ideas?

Anonymous

not sure if you’ve already tried the GetFaxing.com macro, it supports Concord faxing
    http://www.getfaxing.com/downloads/wfxmacro.exe
    — but since you are using 10.02 and WinXp, you will run into the problem with “SetPrintFromApp” function (which is used by the macro) to perform the merge. This function is broken under 10.02 release and Windows XP.

sadinw

I haven’t tried the macro. You say it works with Concord and isn’t affected by what Concord called “an SDK limitation”? I’m confused…I thought I saw a post that stated GetFaxing uses the SDK.

As for 10.02 under WinXP…I actually went so far as to build a complete WinME/Office XP/Winfax 10.02 image to prove to Symantec that the SDK problem was related to XP (the macro hangs under XP in two different SDK calls, and doesn’t hang in those calls under WinME), and to get my project done.

I’ll grab the macro and try it on my WinME image.

I wonder why Concord didn’t suggest that, either?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Sending faxes using automation (SDK) to Concord is not a SDK limitation, it simply requires a specific format for the sending number and you need to specify “Internet Fax” as the Send Type. The macro provided by Symantec does not have these features, so it really isn’t a limitation — its just not supported.

The GetFaxing macro allows you specify “Internet Fax’ as the default sending format, and when you specify this it will automatically split the North American phone number format to three fields. (Long Distance Code, Area Code, and Local Number) +1 (555) 555-5555.

sadinw

I wasn’t claiming it was a SDK limitation.

According to Concord tech support, Concord’s modification to Winfax precludes use of the SDK to route faxes to ‘Internet Fax’ cleanly. Concord told me they modify the WinFax ‘Send’ dialog, and that the SDK bypasses the ‘Send’ dialog.

Again according to Concord, even if you set up Concord Internet Fax to “always use Internet,’ the SDK cannot ‘recognize’ this setting (i.e., faxes will be sent to a ‘real’ modem).

I’m real happy you say your macro doesn’t have this problem. (I can’t tell YET, since the 1.0 version I installed doesn’t work).

I suggest you get in touch with Concord so they stop telling people like me that ANY macro which uses the SDK will have a Concord Internet Fax problem. I was really disappointed to hear that, and only stumbled on your site by accident.

My other comment, on the Symantec macro area code bug, was merely an observation that one of their programmers took a poor shortcut. As I pointed out, it was a 30-second fix to their macro to get that working right.

Anonymous

I’m really not sure what concord is doing, they may have internal hooks that bypass what the SDK does as you say.

Hope that macro works out for you. Maybe they don’t want merges done via Internet fax so they can sell their Fax Broadcast service?

sadinw

Concord supplies several DLLs that replace Symantec DLLs and which DO provide internal hooks via the Winfax ‘Send’ dialog. They told me they wish the SDK didn’t bypass ‘Send’ so the integration between Winfax and Concord Internet Fax would be better for merges.

Their Broadcast service addresses a different need: un- or lightly-personalized mass ‘mailings.’ Internet Fax addresses personalized ‘mailings.’ I would have greatly preferred to use Broadcast, since Internet Fax requires me to send 400KB per fax (* 2,700 faxes) to Concord.

So I think they would love to hear your macro worked cleanly with Internet Fax.

Anonymous

Wayne,
    We actually talked to Concord before releasing our macro. They seemed to think that the symantec macro worked fine with Internet fax. We left it at that.

I assume you tried out the macro with Internet Fax? Did it work out for you?

sadinw

Huh! The Concord tech support folks seemed quite familiar with the macro incompatibilities.

If you mean the Symantec macro, yes I tried it. I tried your original macro without success. I haven’t had time to try your 1.1 macro version (it is SO inconvenient to have to reboot into WinCE to get around the 10.02 & XP bug).

I’ll keep you posted, thugh

mdavidson

The problem related to the Word 2000 WinFax merge macro and Concord Internet Fax service is due to Symantec including an older version of the macro within the Concord Internet Fax plugin that ships within WinFax PRO. Users of Concord Internet Fax can now download a new plugin from the Concord website at http://www.concordfax.com. Once installed, the correct WinFax Word 2000 macro will be available for installation from within WinFax PRO, which will allow Word 2000/WinFax mail merges through Concord Internet Fax.

JohnD
    Participant

@mdavidson wrote:

The problem related to the Word 2000 WinFax merge macro and Concord Internet Fax service is due to Symantec including an older version of the macro within the Concord Internet Fax plugin that ships within WinFax PRO. Users of Concord Internet Fax can now download a new plugin from the Concord website at http://www.concordfax.com. Once installed, the correct WinFax Word 2000 macro will be available for installation from within WinFax PRO, which will allow Word 2000/WinFax mail merges through Concord Internet Fax.

Hi Matt,
    I don’t believe that the previous macros provided by Symantec supported Concord, since the format of the fax number was not passed as +1(555)555-5555. I think the only way it will work is if you have already formatted the fax numbers in this format?

Edited By JohnD on May 02 2002 at 21:42

mdavidson

Hi John,

You are correct that the macro provided by Symantec was the incorrect macro, and that supplied macro did not correctly support faxing using Concord Internet Fax. The corrected macro becomes available for install within WinFax when users update their Concord WinFax PRO plugin from the Concord website at http://www.concordfax.com. The old, incorrect macro will not work with Concord regardless of how the phone numbers are configured.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.