Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    darthphiber

OK maybe another screw up on my part. Migrate everyone from 98 to 2000. Everyone runs well minus printing the faxes and only the faxes. randomly these faxes print condense on the legal paper. This was not an issue on the 98 platform. Symantec’s knowledge has little info in regards to this. I finally called their billable support and they wound up not charging me because they couldn’t figure it out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Administrator
    Keymaster

are these faxes that have been received from the host, or are they emailed faxes?

try opening the fax image in the viewer, then click Save As save the fax image overtop the existing fax image. If you have multiple pages, you have to do each page at a time. Now try printing the fax.

When you save the fax, it generates a new “header” within the fax image. If the original header was damaged in anyway, printing would fail (or be compressed etc.) by overwriting the fax image again, it will rewrite this header and you should be OK.

This is just a workaround, not a solution. If you continue to receive faxes and you can’t print them there is a problem on the receiving end. ( or a bug in WinFax)

darthphiber

These are faxes that are received over a pots line and not email. The faxes themselves print irregularly, meaning one time it is condensed. Print it again to the same printer and it is fine. I have 9 different clients and 5 different printers all experiencing the same issues. My thought it is something with the host machine. If the saving of the faxes appears to work, is there anything that I can do to fix this this? Thanks again for the information, this group has been excellent.

Anonymous

I take it that you have already deleted the printers and reinstalled?
    By teh way, I’m pretty certain that there was a doucument which related to this problem (I co wrote parts) – look in the online data base under keyword, garbaled, as well as compressed, etc.

DutchSpirit
    Anonymous

When I setup WinFax to send a few hundred faxes, or even 50, I set them to start at 8:00pm.

The next morning I look at the Outbox, and it looks like at 8:00 it trys to send all the faxes and fails, then it starts to send correctly after that. I don’t think the 1st attempt is even made. Actually, its impossible since all the faxes fail at 8:00pm exactly.

Does anyone understand why this happens,

TIA,
    Shane

Anonymous

what version of WinFax are you using?
    when you look in your Send Log, you see all the faxes that were scheduled to go out at 8pm, with a red X (failed?)
    along with a completed (checkmark) fax?

Have you ever rebuilt your logs using the rebuild tool? how many entries do you have in your Send and Receive logs?

Anonymous

It’s WinFax 10.0. In the Sent Log, all faxes show as fail with a red “x”, than show as completed later. The timing is strange since all events occur at 8:00pm exactly. Then later the same numbers will complete in a more logical time, like one at :8″45 then the next at 8:47.

I have not rebuilt the logs, and the Send Log is probably VERY large, never having been purged.

The PC locks-up during large sends and I am trying to track down the reason.

TIA,
    Shane

Anonymous

Shane,

WinFax logs get corrupted VERY easily, and also large logs (even when they are not corrupted) slow down the operation of WinFax and cause strange things to occur. What I recommend is creating a new message store, and moving your sent items into this new message store (if you need to keep them), then rebuild your logs.

Here are steps to rebuild the logs:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….4390704

Anonymous

I deleted all the sent items and wastebasket items. Repaired the logs. After that faxes returned to the Sent folder. Is that normal?

I just deleted them again.

Shane

Anonymous

i would suggest closing winfax, and the controller, go to the winfaxdata directory and move all the status*.* files in this directory to another folder (or just delete them)
    there are about 15 status files, they look something like
    status.wfb, status.wfx, status.wff, status2.wfx, status2.wfd etc…etc..

the status*.* files are your send/receive logs, it will wipe everything clean and build new files the next time you start Winfax. note that it will wipe out any folders you might of had in winfax as well.

Anonymous

1. If I delete the staus*.* files does this delete the phonebooks/phone folders as well?

2. The PC locks up at various times during faxing. Would the number of phonebooks be a cause? We have several (20-30) phonebooks with 200+ entries in each.

3. What is the realistic number of faxes that can be sent at once?

Thanks for the help so far! I really appreciate it!
    Shane

Anonymous

no, it does not delete any phonebook entries. you should always have a backup just incase!

large phonebooks usually do not cause problems with sending/receiving. The large logs (send/receive) will.

there really is no limit, but it is best to have about 300 maximum.

Edited By Moderator on Mar. 05 2003 at 01:40

Anonymous

Thanks for all your help. The lock-ups seem to have been hardware related. All of your tips have certainly helped overall performance.

I have noticed something strange. Typically when the PC boots, the WinFax controller will show that it is loading all the phonebooks. This is normally a lengthy process. After upgrading hardware drivers, motherboard resources, and BIOS, the controller still loads correctly but the typical window that displays the process of the phonebooks loading has disappeared. This seems like a good thing. Everything seems to work correctly. Any ideas why this happened so I can implement it on other PC’s?

Shane

Anonymous

are you sure that message didn’t say “Rebuilding Phonebooks”? This happens when the phonebooks and/or logs have been corrupted and are being rebuild. This happens if WinFax crashed, or has closed down abruptly.
    The solution is to rebuild the phonebooks/logs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.