Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am getting many errors when trying to send a fix. If I use the TAPI port, I get an error saying “Unexpected or no response to training on last attempt.” We were using a virtual pc, VMWare, to run this on. I set up a pc and get the same error using the TAPI port. When on COM1, the faxes just queue up in the Outbox.

I have already tried rebuilding the Phonebook and Logs. That didn’t fix this. Please advise.

-WinFax Pro 10.03
    -Windows XP sp2, firewall disabled.
    -Trendmicro antivirus (firewall disabled)

Anonymous

What type of fax modem ,what class setting
    ?

Anonymous

“US Robotics Courrier 56K Business Modem”
    Class 1

Anonymous

Have you tried setting WinFax PRO to use Class 2.0 ?
    I would recommend using Class 2.0 over Class 1 when the modem supports it. The USR Business Modem does support Class 1 and Class 2.0

Using a VirtualPC is not recommended, so I would try this on the PC if possible. If the faxes are getting stuck when using Com1, you might have some other device using the modem via TAPI, such as RAS (Remote Access Server) or there is some other com port / modem conflict. I would recommend leaving it set at TAPI mode.

Anonymous

That seems to have worked. There are alot more success now. I will follow up the other people on this project and see if they did anything else that may have fixed it. Then update this once I am sure.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Yep. That did the job. Please excuse my naivety. What is the difference between Class 1 and Class 2.0?

Anonymous

Good to hear it worked.
    The class of the modem is the interface to the PC, how the software (WinFax) communicates with the Fax Modem. An easy way to explain it is to consider Class 1 and Class 2.0 as different languages. Class 2.0 and 2 is hardware based, meaning the modem handles all of the work. Class 1 is software based, where the PC does some of the work. Since processing is handled by the modem (hardware) in Class 2.0, you’re likely to get a better success rate.

Edited By Moderator on 1154019010

Anonymous

Cool. Thanks for the explanation.

v3locity

Will all modems that support class 2 work better with winfax? The modem I’m currently using is class 1 only. Winfax locks up everytime someone connects at a low baud rate like 9600. It gets stuck receiving without ever receiving anything. I read that rockwell chipsets work better also. I’m currently using a zoom with a conex chipset.

Anonymous

@v3locity wrote:

Will all modems that support class 2 work better with winfax? The modem I’m currently using is class 1 only. Winfax locks up everytime someone connects at a low baud rate like 9600. It gets stuck receiving without ever receiving anything. I read that rockwell chipsets work better also. I’m currently using a zoom with a conex chipset.

no, not always. Class 2 and Class 2.0 are not the same. If your modem supports class 2, its likely several years old. Some work fine with WinFax, some may present problems due to the fact that Class 2 was never an official standard. Class 2.0 is an official standard, and you’re likely better off with a Class 2.0 setting if your modem supports it.

Receiving problems can be the result of many different issues. One common issue is the modem setup, (class setup, modem initialization string) etc.

v3locity

ok, I found a modem in another computer that supports all 3 classes, I’ll switch it from class 2 to class 2.0.

Thanks so much for the help here. I really can’t believe that there really isn’t a better solution that I’ve found.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.