Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jfreeman

I recently ran the compatibility check which included installing the patch for disc space error which I may not have needed. Afterwards the computer takes a long time to boot and is slow. I uninstalled the patch from add/remove and it is back to normal speed but now after booting Found New Hardware is searching to install a PCI serial port which I do not have. I just installed an internal PCI US Robotics modem before the compatibility check. How do I stop the Found New Hardware setup?

Administrator
    Keymaster

It is interesting that the patch would effect the speed of bootup, since it does not add anything to the startup of Windows. What it does is create a patch that is activated only when you run the WinFax file FAXMNG32.EXE (the main WinFax Manager application). Are you sure that this patch was the cause of the slow bootup?

If you installed a new modem, Windows will attempt to install the drivers and this can include installing a PCI Serial port (for internal modems this is usually COM3) If it does not find the proper drivers, you will need to make sure you install with the appropriate installation CD that came with the fax modem (or download the drivers from USRs Web site for the specific model of fax modem you are using)

Its also possible you may have duplicate modems and Windows is attempting to install it again. Check to see if the modem is already installed in the Control Panel (under Modems) . If you have more than one listed (of the same modem) then you may need to remove the duplicates that appear here and then reboot the PC.

Also, depending on your PC, you may have COM ports disabled in the BIOS (if your motherboard has external serial ports). If this the first internal modem you have used on this system, and you have external serial ports on your PC, you may need to enable com port 1 or com port 2 in your bios so the internal modem can be successfully installed on COM3.

If it still fails you should remove the modem listing from Control Panel, Modems. Uninstall any USR software you installed (if there is any software specific to the modem under Add/Remove Programs) and then shut down the machine. Physically remove the modem, and place it into another available PCI slot. Then, start up the PC and reinstall the modem as suggested by US Robotics.

jfreeman

Thanks for your reply. This is a self built machine and I remain a newbie at this. I moved the modem to a different PCI slot and that has corrected the Hardware issue. There is no external serial port on the motherboard. I also installed the software and updated the drivers for the modem which I had not yet done. I ran the modem configuration wizard for Winfax and all seems to be ok with the modem so far. I will be attaching the client to the fax line soon to try it out. I could not figure out why the computer was so slow after running the compatibility checker. I now do not feel it was the patch that caused this. Out of frustration I uninstalled “Concord Winfax Plugin v3.0” from add/remove programs. What is this for and do I need to reinstall it, if so how do I install it again. I’m using Winfax 10.04.

I’m impressed with your diagnostic skills, knowledge of networking/computers, modems and fax programs. What is your background?

Administrator
    Keymaster

The Concord Fax Plug-in is a pay per use/monthly service internet fax service that was offered by Concord Fax several years ago, it is no longer offered as a service within WinFax, so it can be removed/uninstalled. It is installed automatically when you install WinFax.

I’ve been using (and supporting) fax modems & fax software (specifically WinFax PRO starting with version 2.0) for a few decades now, so I am familiar with most of the problems that can occur with installing fax modems.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.