Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    onelink

I am using: WinXP Porff 2002 SP3. When I launch the Message Manager it open s for a few secounds the the windows stay open with just the title “Message Manager (not responding)”with a white screen. I was told to mention… (install with previous data hanging at startup of Message Manager) I have tried 2 chats and no luck. They ad me end proccesses and ,rebuild logs…Please advise. Thank you!

Administrator
    Keymaster

If it is an install with previous WinFax data then the first question is do you need to have access to the previous data on this computer?

If the previous data is not required, we can reset WinFax so it does not attempt to use the previous data so it will open with an empty phonebook and send and receive log.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start WinFax Tools. Click WinFax Service Options, click “Disable” and then click Yes to any prompts to disable the WinFax Service.

2. Click End All WinFax Tasks in WinFax Tools. This should automatically close all WinFax related tasks. If prompted to close “Wfxsnt40.exe” or “wfxswtch.exe” click Yes.

3. Examine the “List of known running Fax processes” window in WinFax Tools. You should have WinFaxTools1xx.exe listed here. There should be no programs listed in this window from the WinFax folder. (if wfxctl32.exe or faxmng32.exe or wfxmod32.exe are active, then a WinFax process did not close properly.)

4. Click “WinFax Info” button in WinFax Tools. This should report 3 file locations, one of them is the DataFax path. Take note of this location (usually it is c:program fileswinfaxdata) but it could be somewhere else. Now, Click Install & Setup Tools, click “View Install Folder” button.

5. The installation folder should now open, you should see many WinFax related files and folders such as “Cover” , “Macros”, “Data” …. etc. The folder is your main program folder where all WinFax files are stored.

6. Locate and Select the “DATA” folder. (This should be the same location that was listed in step 4) Right-click the folder and RENAME the DATA folder to another name, such as “DATAORIGINAL”. NOTE: This is where your previous data is located – if you are sure you don’t need this data, you can delete it later but first we recommend you rename it JUST IN CASE you need to go back to reverse these steps.

7. Close this Window.

8. In WinFax Tools, click “Start Controller”.

9. Wait until the yellow controller appears in the Window’s system tray.

10. In WinFax Tools, click on “Start Fax Manager” , click Yes to start the Fax Manager.

If successful, Fax Manager should open with an empty log and empty phonebook.

Elliot

Dear Moderator,

My Winfax suddenly is also hanging up at start up. It had been running fine for over a year without a problem. I do not want to lose my phone books or cover pages. What would you suggest? I use WinFax every day all day so this is important to me.

Thanks,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

@Elliot wrote:

Dear Moderator,

My Winfax suddenly is also hanging up at start up. It had been running fine for over a year without a problem. I do not want to lose my phone books or cover pages. What would you suggest? I use WinFax every day all day so this is important to me.

Thanks,
    ~ Elliot

1. Make sure you have a backup of all your WinFax data .
    2. Start WinFax Tools and click “Logs & Phonebooks” button, then click “Check Send/Rec Limits” button. It should report the total percentage and total amount of storage available in the default message store. If you are near, or over 50% then this is likely the problem of too many faxes in your default send/receive log.

Elliot

Dear Moderator,

Thanks. Your suggestion seemed to have worked. By the way, I have had error messages when I’ve tried to back up WinFax. Could the error be caused by my having too many data files?

Thanks for your help,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

the Check Send/Rec Limits doesn’t do anything but report back the percentage used of the default message store. Did you wait long enough for WinFax to open? and deleted old faxes to fix the problem? Sometimes doing this is not easy because WinFax doesn’t open (or stays at Not Responding for a long time)

yes, the Winfax Backup tool that saves your files at a WFA archive file is not reliable when there are many files in the default message store.
    manual backup of the entire winfax folder and sub-folders where all the data is stored can be done instead.

Elliot

Thanks for your help. I know how to use the backup routine in the WinFax program but other than simply copying data files, how do I do a manual backup?

Thanks,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

I was referring “manual backup” as by manual copy of the data files using (file , copy) in Windows. To do this, just close WinFax PRO and then make a copy of the folder somewhere. You can also use Windows Backup or other software to backup specific folders on your system automatically on a schedule. Just include the WinFax folder and sub-folders in the backup process.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.