Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ringadeal

If I understand correctly, Winfax supports only up to 2 phone lines. Since I seek a more robust solution to our current fax broadcasting campaign, I suppose this post is more about migrating from Winfax.

Right now we have the following configuration for operating our fax broadcast:
    6 separate computers attached to six separate phone line, each containing a fax modem and winfax software installed. Each computer receives its individual fax number list for sending our fax ad.

We would like to physically configure 1 computer to control a centralized broadcast with the use of all 6 phone lines. The reason being that processing removal requests with our current configuration is a nightmare.

My first question is, is there any suggested software to accomplish the above? I came accross Impact Fax by Black Ice. It seems to be what I want. Additionally, to be considered heavily is the ease of processing removal requests.

Secondly, Black Ice has directed me to a webpage containing multi port fax modems/boards but the vast available options are daunting me: http://www.blackice.com/c_ifbrcs.htm . Any suggestions on a model as well as where to obtain it either new or used?

Also, can fax boards / multi-line modems be installed on most laptops?

I know this is not a Winfax-specific post but as a current Winfax user, I would appreciate any clues to help me move on with this long-overdue project.

Administrator
    Keymaster

I am not aware of any multi-port fax modem device that is external, everything on that list from the BlackIce software page are internal units that would require a desktop PC and a compatible slot (pci, PCI-E etc.). These multi-modems and fax cards do not work with laptops.

The most common multi-port fax devices are made by Comtrol, Mainpine and Perle. (available in 2, 4, 6 and 8 lines) available direct from the manufacturer, or you could find better deals for used items (eBay)

You may want to evaluate FaxTalk Multiline Server software (supports up to 8 lines/ports) and it does support the multi-port fax modems (such as Comtrol, Mainpine…)

http://www.getfaxing.com/faxtalk.htm

With FaxTalk Multiline Server you could use one PC that would send faxes using 6 lines simultaneously using a single phonebook.

ringadeal

many thanks for your prompt reply. Do you know if faxtalk has a feature that enables filtering a phonebook against an existing file to eliminate the fax removal requests for a fresh campaign?

ringadeal

Also, would there be any benefit I should know about of a multi-modem versus a fax card or vice versa? I am prepared to work with an internal device.

ringadeal

sorry, several more things regarding faxtalk.

Which multi line modems or fax boards are compatible? I couldn’t seem to find this info on your site.

Faxtalk seems to cost about 80% less than competing software. You wonder if it is missing something. Does the price fluctuate based on phone line count?

Administrator
    Keymaster

@ringadeal wrote:

many thanks for your prompt reply. Do you know if faxtalk has a feature that enables filtering a phonebook against an existing file to eliminate the fax removal requests for a fresh campaign?

No. It does not. You’d have to remove the number from a phonebook.

@ringadeal wrote:

Also, would there be any benefit I should know about of a multi-modem versus a fax card or vice versa? I am prepared to work with an internal device.

fax cards are designed for enterprise servers. expensive depending on features. can support different types of connections, digital,analog,isdn,sip etc. can support many ports(lines) some can support up to 60 lines. Dialogic, GammaFax, Brooktrout are familiar manufacturers of these types of cards.

A multi-modem is less expensive. small office, business use, usually up to 8 lines, support standard analog telephone lines. easy to setup and use. Comtrol, Mainpine, Perle, and Zyxel are some manufacturers of these.

@ringadeal wrote:

Which multi line modems or fax boards are compatible? I couldn’t seem to find this info on your site.
    Faxtalk seems to cost about 80% less than competing software. You wonder if it is missing something. Does the price fluctuate based on phone line count?

FaxTalk supports any standard fax modem and Multi-Port Fax Modem card that has support for one or more of the following modem classes: Class 1, Class 1.0, Class 2, Class 2.0 or Class 2.1. FaxTalk does NOT support Fax Cards (like Dialogic, Brooktrout etc.)

Unlike some other fax software , FaxTalk does not charge for additional lines. You get up to 8 lines usage with a FaxTalk Multiline Server. It also supports network faxing, so you can add FaxTalk clients on each PC so they can also fax without the need of additional fax hardware.

ringadeal

Regarding the following 2 featured 8-port faxing devices, the first one is quite pricey and is listed as a modem. The second is listd as a fax board though you have indicated Comptrol to be a maker of modems:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Tech-Systems-ISI9234PCIE-8-Fax-Modem-PCI-Express-/130620263259?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item1e69930b5b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comtrol-8-port-Rocketmodem-III-Fax-Board-uPCI-/200710298522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb441b9a

When comparing these 2, would there be an advantage of the first versus the second?
    What factor should I be considering in regard to fax transmission speed?

and how does this one rank against the former 2 and is it compatible with faxtalk (this ships from canada which would be a bonus for me):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-2761-PCI-Integrated-Analog-Fax-Modem-8-Ports-/370391538077?pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item563d0e599d

I am leaning towards evaluating the faxtalk multi line server once the hardware is in place.

Many thanks for helping sort out this information!

Administrator
    Keymaster

1. The Multi-Tech modem is compatible with FaxTalk and is listed on the FaxTalk site. I am not sure about Operating system driver compatibility or the specifics of this fax modem. Here is a link to their page: http://www.multitech.com/en_US/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemISI/

2. The Comtrol modem is an older version (RocketModem III vs. current version RocketModem IV that is listed on the FaxTalk site) I believe this older version is also compatible, but according to the Comtrol Web site this fax modem is discontinued so no drivers for Windows 7(or later, or 64 bit OS ) are available. According to the documentation, it does not support V.34 (Super Fax). This is also a full-height card, so it would require a PC case that is large enough to support this internal card.

The last modem you list (IBM) is unlikely to be compatible, and may be for IBM mainframe not for PC usage. I am not familiar with this model.

The list of multi-port fax modems is here:
    http://www.faxtalk.com/support/kb/index.php?sid=11011&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=2&id=8&artlang=en

ringadeal

I do appreciate your detailed reply to my off-topic post.

Can you clarify what is meant by “super fax” – is this a new transmission speed enhancement?

What do I look for in a modem to ensure it offers the fastest available speed?

Administrator
    Keymaster

@ringadeal wrote:

I do appreciate your detailed reply to my off-topic post.

Can you clarify what is meant by “super fax” – is this a new transmission speed enhancement?

What do I look for in a modem to ensure it offers the fastest available speed?

if the fax modem connects to another fax device that supports V.34 Super G3, the connection is established at 33.6 Kbps (more than double the speed of standard 14.4 KBps fax speeds). The new models of the Multi-Tech, Mainpine and Comtrol modems all support V.34 Super G3 fax.

ringadeal

Can you please provide an example of “another fax device”? I was under the assumption that the fax board/modem was the only hardware necessary.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@ringadeal wrote:

Can you please provide an example of “another fax device”? I was under the assumption that the fax board/modem was the only hardware necessary.

a fax machine, or fax modem.

ringadeal

I don’t seem to get it. The device I am seeking and inquiring about itself is a modem. When would another modem need to interact with it?

Administrator
    Keymaster

@ringadeal wrote:

I don’t seem to get it. The device I am seeking and inquiring about itself is a modem. When would another modem need to interact with it?

here is an example: when you send a fax , you dial a telephone number and something on the other end of the line ( a device) has to be able to answer the call and start receiving the fax. That device is usually a standard office fax machine, or sometimes a fax modem hooked up to a computer.

If that device (the fax modem or fax machine) happens to understand the Super G3 Fax protocol, your fax modem will start sending that fax at the higher speeds. If the device doesn’t understand the Super G3 protocol, it will send at the regular fax speed (highest speed 14.4kbps.)

So if both machines understand the Super G3 Fax protocol , your fax is transmitted at the 33.6Kbps speeds.

ringadeal

very well explained, thanks!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.