Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    TALONTRAX

Winfax 10.0, Win xp professional sp3, Intermittently will dial & remote will answer . . . Then “negotiating” for 30-40 seconds. Finally message at bottom of animated window will say “no carrier”. Confirmed not a remote issue, Phone line (not voip) good. Sent log says on faild send – modem/fax error on last attempt. Tried several different modem drivers . . . no change. Note : If I copy/paste data to win7 o/s (on same pc, dual boot setup)& re-submit in same version of winfax on win7 o/s, works consistently. Tried complete removal & re-install of winfax, tried removing modem from system (both physically & in device manager) – no change. Dam. Any ideas – ?

pp-ablehit

Check the Fax Class setting of your brand of modem. I know my USR had that very same issue. I had to set it to class 1 (I believe)

TALONTRAX

I Think it`s set to class 1 type data/fax modem automatically, but I`ll check it out, & thanks for the reply ! Strange how it works ok in Win7 all the time, & only intermittently in xp . . .

Administrator
    Keymaster

what type of modem are you using?

TALONTRAX

I`m not sure. It is on a pci slot & came with the motherboard. Due to the inconsistency of this issue, I think it`s failing. So,I`m gonna eat the 11 bucks & try a new pci modem With it`s own propriatary drivers & see what happens. I`ll post back with the outcome. Thanks everyone for your help & responses. Great community here . . .

Administrator
    Keymaster

@TALONTRAX wrote:

I`m not sure. It is on a pci slot & came with the motherboard. Due to the inconsistency of this issue, I think it`s failing. So,I`m gonna eat the 11 bucks & try a new pci modem With it`s own propriatary drivers & see what happens. I`ll post back with the outcome. Thanks everyone for your help & responses. Great community here . . .

it’s probably a softmodem. These types of modems rely on the state of the operating system, its possible the drivers for the modem operate efficiently under Windows 7 and not as well with Windows XP.

TALONTRAX

That`s very interesting . . . & makes sense. When I update/roll back the modem drivers in attempt to solve this, I notice that the modem as listed in device manager will take on the name of the driver software ; Agere winmodem, Lucent winmodem, etc. When I un-install the modem (in device manager, or physically from the machine) & then re-install it, The found new hardware wizard identifies it as a generic networking device & proceeds to install what I believe to be windows xp default drivers automatically (see attached). Can anyone recommend a different type/vendor of driver ?

TALONTRAX

Think I got it fixed. Removed the pci modem & with the help of a magnifying glass, I got numbers off the modem card (lucent 1648t00) located & installed the correct drivers . . . good so far.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@TALONTRAX wrote:

Think I got it fixed. Removed the pci modem & with the help of a magnifying glass, I got numbers off the modem card (lucent 1648t00) located & installed the correct drivers . . . good so far.

Good to hear. That was likely the problem. The drivers are different (new, updated) in Windows 7. The stock Windows XP drivers are often old, generic versions and cause problems. Finding the correct driver is not always an easy task.

TALONTRAX

Update . . . now it has stopped working completely. After what I thought was a confirmed fix with the updated drivers, Now zero modem operation. New 1 will be here tomorrow (hopefully). I`ll get back shortly with the outcome – & thanks everyone for the help & support –

TALONTRAX

Ok . . . removed the old pci modem & got this :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BU8O9Y/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Waaaaay faster connection on both send & receive, no multi page issues like before, No handshake at the end issues like before, Winfax never worked this well before. Problem solved. Thanks again everyone . . .

Administrator
    Keymaster

good to hear, what was the brand of the old modem? does it have any manufacturer name/or fcc id on the pci board?

TALONTRAX

It has a Lucent chip on it . . . manufactured in Canada. The number on the chip is : 1648t00, Lucent technologies`96.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@TALONTRAX wrote:

It has a Lucent chip on it . . . manufactured in Canada. The number on the chip is : 1648t00, Lucent technologies`96.

Lucent is the chipset, they supplied the modem chipset to the company that made the modem, they didn’t make the actual modem. For Generic brand modems, you can identify who the manufacturer is by looking at the FCC ID code that appears etched on the modem board (or on a label somewhere on the modem).

Here is a link where you can determine the manufacturer, based on the FCC ID that should be on the actual modem board.
    http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

TALONTRAX

Smart modular technologies inc, model # 90109. The FCC id #`s on the board did`nt come up in the search in the FCC.GOV link you provided.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.