Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Frequently, but not always, when sending a fax from WFP10.2 over the past month it appears the fax has not been sent. The failure reads “No acknowledgment received on last attempt.” It has gone through the usual process of training and sending to 100% complete, sometimes at a slower speed down to 2400 baud.

And usually I’ll try 3 or 4 times, then call the recipient who tells me they have received my fax 3 or 4 times (but not always)!

Secondly, in reading this forum see that there was a CD published a couple of years ago to update to 10.3. I recall trying to download the update, but it failed. Is there a method to obtain it?

JohnD
    Participant

You’d have to contact Symantec about any updates to 10.03
    there was no actual update file, it was an entire new CD ROM which you could either have them ship you a CD (you pay shipping) or download it. Since they’ve discontinued WinFax over 2 years ago, I doubt they are still offering this update free to 10.02 owners.

Administrator
    Keymaster

sending problems are usually due to the type of fax modem installed, drivers, and setup initialization string for the fax modem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, however I must add that there have been no changes made to the init string or to the modem in years.

Also I should add that apparently this only occurs with a few recipients — and I had no problems with sending before and they have not made any software changes nor changed fax machines.

Administrator
    Keymaster

– OS updates such as a Service Pack or Hot Fixes
    – Startup programs in Windows have changed or different applications using more processor time active at the time the fax is being transmitted.
    – Antivirus / screen savers activated
    (all the above usually occurs with software based modems, which when under a heavier load, will not perform reliabily.)

other possible reasons:
    – line noise on the phone line (DSL internet on the same phone line?)
    – problems with the fax modem and connecting to the remote device. (incompatibility issue)

since there are so many variables, it is very difficult to determine the exact cause of the problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re quite right. It’s been years since I’ve looked at the init string, so guess I’ll need to update myself on that and try a few changes. Yes, it could relate to the destination computer changes such as OS or merely updates. Interestingly enough these 3 people claim they have no difficulty receiving from other people — and they don’t have difficulty with me if I sent via the HP laserjet 3330, not winfaxPro — but that involves a bit of an exercise and am attempting to avoid that.

Administrator
    Keymaster

usually, the default settings WinFax chooses are acceptable for faxing. In some cases, changing the Class setting of the fax modem in the WinFax setup, or altering the flow control settings and initialization string settings may help. In some cases, you may have to replace the modem with a hardware based fax modem that doesn’t use the computer processor for handing of the fax.

Not always an easy troubleshooting task, sometimes simply replacing the fax modem with a different model does the job.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tried going to various GetFaxing sites, but could not read any of them using Firefox 3. Could not even send a msg to support to advise of such because couldn’t complete the various fields such as email address, I think is what is missing. Problem is text overlaying text and fields.

http://www.getfaxing.com/services.htm
    http://www.getfaxing.com/aboutus.htm

If I haven’t mentioned it before I’m using WFP with a US Robotics external modem – Sportster V90.

The init string reads:
    AT&F&D2&C1&H1&R2&10S7=55.

Can you recommend a change such as changing it to be more tolerant of poor line quality. or any other suggestions?

Have had my line and the distant line checked by the phone co. and am told they are fine. Also the 2 companies I fax to usually with difficulty say they have no difficulties with other faxes, only me! And as I recall their fax machines are only a couple of years old. And I fax to 20 other companies without difficulty.

JohnD
    Participant

@Milesch wrote:

Tried going to various GetFaxing sites, but could not read any of them using Firefox 3. Could not even send a msg to support to advise of such because couldn’t complete the various fields such as email address, I think is what is missing. Problem is text overlaying text and fields.

http://www.getfaxing.com/services.htm
    http://www.getfaxing.com/aboutus.htm

both those links work fine here with Firefox 3.
    Also tried the email link and worked without error.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In that case it’s due to the larger text size I use in FF or perhaps in Windows (large — +25%). Don’t ask me how, but perhaps this can be corrected in your website display — for instance I had a difficulty with a window from a FF extension opening where the buttons near the bottom were not visible and the author fixed it very quickly.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@Milesch wrote:

If I haven’t mentioned it before I’m using WFP with a US Robotics external modem – Sportster V90.

The init string reads:
    AT&F&D2&C1&H1&R2&10S7=55.

Can you recommend a change such as changing it to be more tolerant of poor line quality. or any other suggestions?

Have had my line and the distant line checked by the phone co. and am told they are fine. Also the 2 companies I fax to usually with difficulty say they have no difficulties with other faxes, only me! And as I recall their fax machines are only a couple of years old. And I fax to 20 other companies without difficulty.

You can try adjusting the initialization string and flow control settings

U.S. Robotics

For Hardware Flow Control: AT&H1
    For Software Flow Control: AT&H2

Suggested Initialization String:

AT&F&C1&D2&H1S7=55 (Hardware Flow Control)
    AT&F&C1&D2&H2S7=55 (Software Flow Control)

Uncheck “Use hardware flow control.” when using the software flow control settings.

Uncheck everything under Options.

As well, some U.S. Robotics models are known to have problems with some specific fax machines such as SHARP and BROTHER. You can try adding S36=0 to a new line in the initialization string setup, for example:

Line 2: ATS36=0

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.