Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

thanks for reading,

I cannot fax because WinFax doesn’t recognize my modem. In program setup, I selected the telephone icon for communications devices. My modem is not listed, and when I try to add it, it will not come up.

I connect to the internet via a wireless network adapter that links me to a cable modem router. Other computers on my network are able to fax with winfax.

Help!

Administrator
    Keymaster

do you have a fax modem installed on your PC, either an internal or an external modem?
    and, what model is it?

To test a modem

1. Open Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.
    ( To open Phone and Modem Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections, Under “See also”, click Phone and Modem Options. )

2. On the Modems tab, click the modem you want to test.

3. Click Properties, click Diagnostics, and then click Query Modem. This procedure sends standard AT commands to your modem, and displays the responses that indicate features supported by your modem.

Edited By Moderator on 1193683084

update:

I have installed a software modem, virtual modem pro. it tests fine, says it is fax capable. however, when I try to fax it says no carrier.

Any ideas fellas?

Administrator
    Keymaster

are you sending a fax to another location (via internet/LAN/WAN) that is also connected to a Virtual Modem ?

you need to specify the IP address followed by the port # to send a fax to another machine. :

You probably need to configure WinFax to use “Dial as Entered” dialing mode because otherwise it would add an area code, or another dialing code to the IP address which would cause Virtual Modem PRO to “dial” out the wrong IP address, or cause Virtual Modem to report BUSY or NO CARRIER.

I’ve not tested this with WinFax PRO and since the developers don’t even mention WinFax as working, it may not work properly

if you’re looking to send faxes to any fax machine, a Virtual Modem isn’t going to do it. You need to install a REAL fax modem on your machine, connected to a phone line. otherwise, you’re limited to sending faxes to those within your network (or internet) that are also using Virtual Modem. This setup is perfect for sending faxes internally within a company only.

Edited By Moderator on 1193696924

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.