Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

How to rebuild the Log and Phonebook files
    In the WinFax PRO Message Manager, click the Tools menu, and then click Maintenance Utility.

NOTES:
    If you cannot launch the Message Manager, or you experience errors while launching the Message Manager, follow the instructions on manually rebuilding the Logs and Phonebook files.
    You need to stop the WinFax PRO service if you are running Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP

Click Launch Application or Applet.
    Select Rebuild Phonebook/Logs, and then click OK.
    Locate the Data folder. By default it will reside under C:Program FilesSymantecWinFax. If you have moved it or installed to a different folder, navigate to the Data folder.
    Select the .wfb file, and click Open to start the repair process.
    Click Close.
    Repeat steps 4-6 for all other .wfb files. (These are the phonebook and log files.)
    Once all .wfb files have been rebuilt, click Close on the SymDiag window.
    You will see a message asking if you would like to restart the Message Manager. Click Yes. The Message Manager restarts.

If you continue experiencing difficulties, select Optimize Phonebooks/Logs instead of Rebuild Phonebooks/Logs in step # 3.

How to manually rebuild the Log and Phonebook files
    Exit all open programs, and stop the WinFax PRO service if you are running Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    Click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders. The Find dialog box appears.
    From the Look In drop-down list, select the drive onto which you installed WinFax PRO.
    In the Named field, type rebuild.bat and click Find Now. Windows displays all files matching the search criteria.
    Double-click the Rebuild.bat file. A dialog box appears, prompting you to select a database to rebuild.
    Locate the Data folder. By default it will reside under C:Program FilesSymantecWinFax. If you have moved it or installed to a different folder, navigate to the Data folder.
    Select the .wfb file, and click Open to start the repair process.
    Click Close.
    Repeat this process for all other .wfb files. These are the phonebook and log files.
    Once all .wfb files have been rebuilt, close the Find window.

If you continue experiencing difficulties, locate and run Optimize.bat instead of Rebuild.bat.

goodluck

Edited By Moderator on June 11 2005 at 12:59

Anonymous

I have three different folders but Winfax Pro 10.02 will only import the one called Contacts. Is there a way to import the other folders or do I have to create a distribution list for the seperate contacts in the contacts folder?

Thanks for the help,

ACES

Anonymous

I’m not trying to rebuild anything. Unless that will solve the problem and that’s what you’re trying to tell me. Right now, the integration works but I can only get it to recognize one folder.

Let me know if I missed something in your post.

Regards,

ACES

Anonymous

@Pocketaces wrote:

I’m not trying to rebuild anything. Unless that will solve the problem and that’s what you’re trying to tell me. Right now, the integration works but I can only get it to recognize one folder.

Let me know if I missed something in your post.

Regards,

ACES

The previous posts you see (about rebuilding) are due to a corruption in the forum database. It has nothing to do with your original post, so please disregard it. It has been fixed…

as for the Contact folder, are you refering to sub-folders under “contacts” ?

You can try this:

In the main Outlook Window, highlight the Contacts sub-folder you created, right-click, then select Properties.
    Click the Outlook Address Book tab.
    Enable the option “Show this folder as an e-mail address book.”
    Close Microsoft Outlook and the Controller.
    Start Message Manager. The Contacts sub-folder now appears.

Anonymous

I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me. However, I already tried that. For some reason, it will only show the contacts in the folder named Contacts. Also, I should’ve mentioned that I’m using WinFax Pro 10.02 and outlook 2003

Thanks again,

ACES

Anonymous

@Pocketaces wrote:

I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me. However, I already tried that. For some reason, it will only show the contacts in the folder named Contacts. Also, I should’ve mentioned that I’m using WinFax Pro 10.02 and outlook 2003

Thanks again,

ACES

I just tried this with Outlook 2003 and WinFax PRO 10.04 and couldn’t get any sub-folders under Contacts displayed in WinFax PRO. I’m assuming this is a problem with the new release of WinFax PRO as it did to work in older releases.

The integration with Outlook 2003 isn’t too stable either with WinFax PRO 10.02+, you need to remove the WinFax Logs from Outlook or you’ll always get an fault error when you close Outlook 2003.

Edited By Moderator on 1139631326

Anonymous

Thank you again for the help. The funny thing is that I read a lot about people getting that error when closing Outlook but I’ve never had that problem. Everything works fine except for this one annoyance I’m having. Maybe you can give me another way of accomplishing what I’m trying to do.

I have a list of contacts that can only be downloaded as comma delimited, tab delimited, or fixed length. I’d like to take this downloaded file and create a phonebook in winfax using those contacts. I had an easy time mapping the fields if I imported it into outlook first. I also use outlook as my contact manager so it would’ve been perfect. Now that that seems out, what do you suggest?

Once again, I know you’re taking a lot of time with this but I really do appreciate the help. Thank you very much.

Regards,

ACES

Anonymous

@Pocketaces wrote:

Thank you again for the help. The funny thing is that I read a lot about people getting that error when closing Outlook but I’ve never had that problem. Everything works fine except for this one annoyance I’m having. Maybe you can give me another way of accomplishing what I’m trying to do.

I have a list of contacts that can only be downloaded as comma delimited, tab delimited, or fixed length. I’d like to take this downloaded file and create a phonebook in winfax using those contacts. I had an easy time mapping the fields if I imported it into outlook first. I also use outlook as my contact manager so it would’ve been perfect. Now that that seems out, what do you suggest?

Once again, I know you’re taking a lot of time with this but I really do appreciate the help. Thank you very much.

Regards,

ACES

If you can export your contact list to comma delimited or tab delimited you can import the phonebook into WinFax and then you can organize the contacts into folders within WinFax. The only problem with this is when you update any of your contacts in Outlook (change a phone number for example) , those changes are not reflected in the WinFax Phonebook (because they are different databases)

The first step is to export your data to comma or tab delimited format.

Then create a new phonebook in WinFax (File, New, Phonebook) and select the option to create a WinFax type phonebook.

Once you’ve done this, you need to click the phonebook in WinFax, then click File, Import.

Select “ASCII” type phonebook.
    Select the text file you exported from Outlook.
    Select “Comma” or “Tab Delimited” format (depending on the format you exported in Outlook)
    Start the import.

Your records show now appear in WinFax as a WinFax native phonebook. You can now create sub-folders here and move phonebook entries into them as you like.

Anonymous

Thank you, this will get me by to do the basics. The only thing wrong now is that for some reason I get FIRST NAME LAST NAME as one of the contacts. All of the mapping works, but for some reason that line shows up. Is there a way to save the mapping so I don’t have to do it each time I create a new phonebook? Laslty, even though I haven’t experienced the errors everybody else has with using 10.02 and outlook 2003, is there a log file or something I should delete? I briefly read something about that and you alluded to it in one of our exchanges.

BTW, I’m a professional comedian and magician in LA. If you ever make it out this way, let me know and I’ll get you into a private club called The Magic Castle. It’s just my way of thanking you for your time.

Regards,

ACES

Anonymous

@Pocketaces wrote:

Thank you, this will get me by to do the basics. The only thing wrong now is that for some reason I get FIRST NAME LAST NAME as one of the contacts. All of the mapping works, but for some reason that line shows up. Is there a way to save the mapping so I don’t have to do it each time I create a new phonebook? Laslty, even though I haven’t experienced the errors everybody else has with using 10.02 and outlook 2003, is there a log file or something I should delete? I briefly read something about that and you alluded to it in one of our exchanges.

BTW, I’m a professional comedian and magician in LA. If you ever make it out this way, let me know and I’ll get you into a private club called The Magic Castle. It’s just my way of thanking you for your time.

Regards,

ACES

I believe the FIRST NAME LAST NAME entry is called the header. What you need to do is disable the option “Import the 1st row of data” when you perform the import.

As for log file, I assume you’re referring to WinFax send/receive logs that show up in Outlook 2003? Is that what you’d like to remove?

THanks for the offer! I’ve heard of the Magic Castle — I think I watched an episode of the show “Criss Angel”. I think he was performing there ??

Anonymous

Yeah, Criss Angel received an award from there and then did a special.

I guess I don’t want to remove anything. I’ve just read a lot about people getting errors when using 10.02 with Outlook 2003. I think a lot of people report they get an error when they close Outlook.

Anyway, I haven’t seen any problems like that. I was just wondering if there was something I wasn’t aware of If there is, I’ll take the necessary steps.

Regards,

ACES

Anonymous

@Pocketaces wrote:

Yeah, Criss Angel received an award from there and then did a special.

I guess I don’t want to remove anything. I’ve just read a lot about people getting errors when using 10.02 with Outlook 2003. I think a lot of people report they get an error when they close Outlook.

Anyway, I haven’t seen any problems like that. I was just wondering if there was something I wasn’t aware of If there is, I’ll take the necessary steps.

Regards,

ACES

If you have WinFax Logs appear in Outlook 2003 (You can check Fle, Data File Management to see if “WinFax Logs” show up here)

Chances are you don’t have them listed here. If you do, you’ll likely get errors when you close Microsoft Word 2003.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.