Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dr.rocket

My WinFax backup is successful with the exception of the following persistent error message:

<> G:WINFAXCOVER77.TIF

The drive designation must refer to a removable drive, perhaps an external hard drive used for a backup. That specific file also exists on my C: drive, so it’s not a missing file. How can I eliminate that persitent error declaration for a removable drive that is not routinely connected to my systen?

Administrator
    Keymaster

what you describe is a graphic file on a cover page is referencing a file on the G: drive that no longer exists. The backup is attempting to backup a file that doesn’t exist, so it presents this warning message.

To eliminate the problem you need to determine which of the cover page is referencing this file. This is probably a custom cover page, or a cover page you changed or added a graphic image (logo, signature etc.). It is a graphic image on your cover page wth the filename of 77.tif. Once you’ve found which cover page contains this 77.tif image, you can open the cover page in the cover page designer and double click on the graphic image (it may appear as a cross-hatched image). The filename/location of the graphic file should appear with a select button, here you can change the link from the G: drive to valid location on the C: drive.

dr.rocket

Actually, the backup log shows that it also already exists on the C: drive, but I will try your suggestion to see if I can eliminate the reference to a G: drive.

Thanks.

dr.rocket

I found which cover page it is, but I don’t know that I have the Cover Page Designer program installed on my hard drive. If it is, I can’t find it; it’s not given as an option via the Programs, WinFax PRO menu. Is there another way to get it to stop referencing a removable drive?

When I click on the .TIF file in Windows Explorer, the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer displays it full page, but I don’t see any way to change the errant drive designation from there.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@dr.rocket wrote:

Actually, the backup log shows that it also already exists on the C: drive, but I will try your suggestion to see if I can eliminate the reference to a G: drive.

Thanks.

it doesn’t matter if you already have a copy on the c: drive because the cover page file is looking for it on the G: drive. This needs to be changed to a location where the file exists.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@dr.rocket wrote:

I found which cover page it is, but I don’t know that I have the Cover Page Designer program installed on my hard drive. If it is, I can’t find it; it’s not given as an option via the Programs, WinFax PRO menu. Is there another way to get it to stop referencing a removable drive?

When I click on the .TIF file in Windows Explorer, the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer displays it full page, but I don’t see any way to change the errant drive designation from there.

double-clicking the cover page in WinFax should open the cover page in the Cover Page Designer. The Cover Page designer is included with WinFax.
    You need to open the .cvp file, not the Tif file.
    you can also start/open the cover page designer by clicking on Tools, Cover Page Designer.
    Choose “Use an existing cover page as a template” then select the cover page to open

dr.rocket

It appears that in my Cover folder I have a collection of hundreds of *.TIF, *.CVP, and *.WMF files. I don’t know of a way to find which, if any, .CVP or .WMF file corresponds to the 77.TIF file that is causing the backup error. Can you suggest a way to quickly serially preview each file in the Cover directory until I recognize the cartoon that corresponds to 77.TIF (a copy of which I have attempted to attach to this message)?

[attachment=0:wjwajprs]77.TIF[/attachment:wjwajprs]

Administrator
    Keymaster

This cover page is likely a Cover Your Fax cover page, or a cover page from an older version of WinFax. I could not find this image with WinFax PRO 10.

You’ll need to view the cover pages in WinFax. Clck on Go, Cover Pages. Here you can view each of the cover pages, and view a thumbnail preview of each .cvp file.
    Click on each cover page until you find the image on the cover page, or a cross-hatched image where the graphic should appear.
    Once you find the correct cover page, you can double-click and it will open in the cover page designer/editor.

dr.rocket

I followed your instructions and viewed every cover sheet via Go, Cover Pages. Alas, the image associated with 77.TIF (a long-bearded man behind a desk with the long beard extending out from under the desk) was not among them. What I did discover though, is that I have many duplicate cartoon cover pages, located under different categories and sometimes with different file names (sometimes the same file name, but in lowercase and also in uppercase). I also noticed that I am missing one of my favorite cartoon cover pages, the one that has Someone under the covers. I have file names claiming to be that cartoon, but the wrong cartoon displays. I guess my cover page database got corrupted somehow.

Is there some source from which I can download the correct cartoon for the file description Cover sheet (with someone under the covers!)?

Is there anything else I can try to get rid of the G: drive 77.TIFF errant backup log entry?

Thanks for all your help.

Administrator
    Keymaster

1. there is no source to download those cover pages, it appears you have Cover Your Fax II cover pages, and/or additional bonus cover pages that may have been included with older versions of WinFax PRO. These cover pages are not included with WinFax PRO 10.
    you would need to manually sort through and delete duplicates from your cover page library.

2. one of the files (.cvp) being backed up contains the 77.tif reference on the G: drive. You can eliminate the error by not selecting “Cover Pages’ in your backup. As I understand this error does not cause the backup to fail.

dr.rocket

Oh, OK. That sounds like a functional solution.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Keymaster

Its also possible that if you do manually sort through the cover pages, and delete the ones that are duplicates – it may also solve the backup issue as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.