Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Joe

I’m using Winfax 10.0 under Windows XP. I recently got a new printer. Winfax is set to use the new printer, and I’ve succeeded in printing things from Winfax to the new printer.

BUT: For the automatic printing of a send confirmation, Winfax insists on printing to my old printer. Since the old printer is no longer connected, it would just go to a print queue for that printer until I cancelled the job. So I tried deleting the printer file for the old printer. Now Winfax gives me a message saying that it can’t print because that printer is unavailable.

So how can I get Winfax to print a confirmation to the right printer?

Joe

Administrator
    Keymaster

this may sound obvious, but may be overlooked.
    Did you select the new printer under “Receive”, “After Receive”, “Print”, “Setup” options in WinFax?

Joe

@Moderator wrote:

Did you select the new printer under “Receive”, “After Receive”, “Print”, “Setup” options in WinFax?

Yes. But the problem is after sending, not after receiving, and there is no place to select the new printer under print setup in the “send” section.

Incidentally, for whatever it may be worth, now that I’m in the office, I checked the version number. It’s 10.03.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@Joe wrote:

@Moderator wrote:

Yes. But the problem is after sending, not after receiving, and there is no place to select the new printer under print setup in the “send” section.

Incidentally, for whatever it may be worth, now that I’m in the office, I checked the version number. It’s 10.03.

oops, sorry thought you were talking about receive confirmation, however, it still should be the same. In the setup for the send confirmation, you should have an option to select the printer.

Joe

@Moderator wrote:

oops, sorry thought you were talking about receive confirmation, however, it still should be the same. In the setup for the send confirmation, you should have an option to select the printer.

Nope, no option to select the printer in the send confirmation setup.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@Joe wrote:

@Moderator wrote:

Nope, no option to select the printer in the send confirmation setup.

there should be a “Setup” button , next to “Send Confirmation”

what is displayed in the “After Send” tab ?

Joe

@Moderator wrote:

there should be a “Setup” button , next to “Send Confirmation”

what is displayed in the “After Send” tab ?

There’s a box where you choose what details you want to be included in the confirmation. It looks much like the “After Receive” setup box, except that there’s no place to choose a printer.

Administrator
    Keymaster

it doesn’t look like this?

Joe

@Moderator wrote:

it doesn’t look like this?

No it doesn’t. The upper part is there. Below it there’s something for choosing whether to print the first page only, or multiple pages, one per page, two per page, four per page, etc. The part about the printer is missing.

Joe

@Moderator wrote:

The dialog box I’ve shown above is for the Send Confirmation, the one you’re describing the for Printing on Receive. Which one are you looking at?

I’m looking at the one for “Send Confirmation Setup.” Obviously it’s different in the version that you’re looking at than it is in mine. The “Print on Receive” dialog box in my Winfax has all the things I described for Send Confirmation Setup, PLUS the printer setup part that is missing in my “Send Confirmation Setup.” Wherever there is a printer setup dialog box, I’ve got my new printer specified. But apparently I have no provision for setting up a printer for the Send Confirmation function.

I have version 10.03. Are you looking at a different version?

Administrator
    Keymaster

OK, if you are looking at the Send Confirmation dialog box, and you see the “print the first page only, or multiple pages, one per page, two per page, four per page” window, then your registry key for this dialog box is incorrect, or possibly corrupt.

Here is what the incorrectly displayed dialog box with the missing “Printer Setup” and incorrect fax pages selection looks like:

To fix this problem:

Locate the following Windows registry key (do not attempt this if you are unfamiliar with the Windows registry)

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareDelrinaWinFax7.0Send ConfirmationPrintImages

and change the value of PrintImages to 0 (Zero)

You might have to do the same to the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareDelrinaWinFax7.0Print On Receive InfoPrintImages

but change this value to 2.

Joe

@Moderator wrote:

OK, if you are looking at the Send Confirmation dialog box, and you see the “print the first page only, or multiple pages, one per page, two per page, four per page” window, then your registry key for this dialog box is incorrect, or possibly corrupt.

Here is what the incorrectly displayed dialog box with the missing “Printer Setup” and incorrect fax pages selection looks like:

Yes, that’s what it looks like. Resetting the first key to zero made the print setup button reappear and the fax pages setup part disappear. And I was able to change it to my new printer.

Actually, that setting of the registry key is something that I did some time ago, per instructions on the Symantec site, in order to make Winfax print out the image of a fax along with the send confirmation. I’ll probably set it back that way.

It seems like rather odd program design for that particular feature to have to be configured through a Windows registry key and even odder for the printer setup to go away when the key is set that way. They could have designed it like the “On Receive” key, where both the page printing settings and the printer settings appear.

Thank you very much for your help.

Administrator
    Keymaster

Ok, This is the document you may be referring to:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….ocument

if you want to see both the printer setup & the images options, just change

value of PrintImages to 2

0 = (default setting) print confirmation window + printer setup

1 = print confirmation window + pages option.

2 = print confirmation window, pages option window + printer setup window

WinFax wasn’t designed to print an image of the fax with a send confirmation, but with the registry change it will.

The Symantec document says to use “1”, not sure if this is an error (oversight with the missing printer setup window) or the fact that changing to 2 doesn’t actually work. I have not tried it myself.

Joe

@Moderator wrote:

Ok, This is the document you may be referring to:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….ocument

if you want to see both the printer setup & the images options, just change

value of PrintImages to 2

0 = (default setting) print confirmation window + printer setup

1 = print confirmation window + pages option.

2 = print confirmation window, pages option window + printer setup window

WinFax wasn’t designed to print an image of the fax with a send confirmation, but with the registry change it will.

The Symantec document says to use “1”, not sure if this is an error (oversight with the missing printer setup window) or the fact that changing to 2 doesn’t actually work. I have not tried it myself.

That does look like the document I saw.

I just set the key to 2, and the send confirmation setup shows both the images and printer setup options. I didn’t test whether it actually prints the images, but when I do, I’ll let you know.

I’ve seen some newer fax machines that print at least part of the image in the fax confirmation — in fact my new printer, which started all of this, is an all-in-one printer, and when I use it as a fax machine, it prints an image with the confirmation. Perhaps if Winfax hadn’t been discontinued, this would have become a feature in the next version.

Thanks again for your help.

Administrator
    Keymaster

You’re welcome. Hope that worked out for you. Otherwise, change it back to “1” ,and then you’ll just have to remember the next time you need to change the printer setting, to change it back so it displays the printer setup window.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.