Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mluttkus

As a long-time but unknowledgeable (then) Winfax user, I took the liberty of occasionally “moving” an entire Winfax directory and related files for archiving prior to an update or new install, rather than doing the smart thing and simply backing up. I’d like to now reconstruct some of those archives, in order to retrieve some important older faxes.

What are the files/directories that I should overwrite into a new Winfax installation in order to re-create those older archives?

Thank you!

Administrator
    Keymaster

If you have a backup of the entire WinFax directory, then all you need to copy over the contents of the entire DATA directory to the new installations DATA directory. It should overwrite all the files in the new install with the old backup, and then when you start WinFax it should see your old logs/faxes/phonebook.

Before you do this, make sure WinFax and the WinFax Controller is NOT running.

If you created message stores, then you will have to re-link them in WinFax Message Manager by using the “File, New, Message Store” and then click “Advanced” and “Use existing … ” option.

mluttkus

Thanks. What do you mean by a “message store?”

If you’re talking about folders in which sent/received messages are categorized, yes, that is a further question.

In Windows Explorer I just did a “search” for all files changed in the Symantec subdirectory today, after purposely sending and receiving a sample fax. Windows Explorer says that ONLY the following files in the further subdirectory WinfaxData changed:

0182000.CVR
    1743001.FXR
    WFXH000.FXD

Additionally, “ludrloc.dat” in SymantecLiveUpdate changed much earlier in the day, so I believe this is unrelated.

Which files contain the fax logs (history), directories and phone books, etc? It seems impossible that the only changed/new files are the cover sheet, the received fax and the sent fax.

Thanks,

Martin

Administrator
    Keymaster

A default send/receive log structure is contained in a series of database/index files, with the default name STATUS*.*, usually there are 15 files.

STATUS.WFX
    STATUS.WFR
    STATUS.WFG
    STATUS.WFF
    STATUS.WFD
    STATUS.WFB
    StatusS.WFX
    StatusS.WFG
    StatusS.WFD
    Status3.WFX
    Status3.WFG
    Status3.WFD
    Status2.WFX
    Status2.WFG
    Status2.WFD

These files are constantly being accessed and written to by WinFax, so a number of these files should be updated. These files contain the “history” of the sent or received fax event, plus the links to each fax sent or received.

A message store, which is a “seperate” log structure where you can manage your faxes, can also be created in WinFax, once created, it’s another set of “15 files” but will have the prefix of the name you called the message store. For example. if you created a message store called DATA2005, the files would be named with the prefix DATA20*.* (first 6 characters) so you’d see 15 files such as Data20.wfb, Data20s.wfx, Data20.wfd etc..etc…in the directory where you created the new message store.

Phonebooks have a similar structure for files, but the default file name is MY-PH-BK*.* and there are 12 files by default. If you created a new phonebook, the filenames would be based on the first 8 characters you named the phonebook.

Edited By Moderator on 1186464390

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.