Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DWKSimi

I recently crashed my PC (Windows XP Pro SP3) and had to do a series of restores from backups made about 10 days earlier. When it was all said and done some faxes made in the time between the backups no longer show up in the WinFax Pro 10.02 Controller Sent Log, even though the files were restored to the Data folder in Winfax. It only displays faxes sent before the first (full) backup that I used as my first Restore (using Windows Backup). How can I get WinFax Pro Controller to recognize those fax files? I have tried everything I can think of. By the way, if I double click on one of those fax documents in the Data folder it brings up the WinFax Fax Viewer so the file does not seem to be corrupted. Thank You~ Dave

Administrator
    Keymaster

You’re only going to see the WinFax Logs displaying faxes sent/received prior to the orignal backup, not after. You might still have the actual faxes (FXR, FXD etc.) in your folder, but they aren’t linked to the log database. You can’t manually link “orphaned” faxes to an existing send/receive log.

Unless you have the actual log files (corrupted or not) you can’t restore those logs. If the log is corrupt, and you have a copy of it, you might be able to restore it.

DWKSimi

@Moderator wrote:

You’re only going to see the WinFax Logs displaying faxes sent/received prior to the orignal backup, not after. You might still have the actual faxes (FXR, FXD etc.) in your folder, but they aren’t linked to the log database. You can’t manually link “orphaned” faxes to an existing send/receive log.

Unless you have the actual log files (corrupted or not) you can’t restore those logs. If the log is corrupt, and you have a copy of it, you might be able to restore it.

Thank you for your response. I’m sure I have the old logs still in the original backup file and I’m sure they were “restored” along with everything else. I just assumed it was a Registry issue with WinFax. Since the Controller loads on boot I just figured WinFax created a new send/receive log before I had a chance to restore the original ones and as such would no longer recognize the previously dated ones. The missing faxes and logs are the ones created between, and backed up with, the Incremental backups done after the original complete backup. Those too were all restored in order.

I can try once again to restore the old logs but what file extensions would I be looking for? Would it be one file or several? What should I do, if anything, with the currently dated log files? I have not sent or received any faxes since the whole crash/restore fiasco so I would not lose anything overwriting the current logs. ~Thanks, Dave

Administrator
    Keymaster

If the WinFax Controller and/or the WinFax Service was active during the restore, it would have likely prevented the restore of the log files and the default phonebook.

The default send and receive logs consist of several files, such as status.wfb, status.wfx, etc.

You can disable all WinFax Tasks by clicking on “End all WinFax Tasks” in WinFax Tools.
    And disable the WinFax Service by clicking on “WinFax Service Options”, Disable.
    Then you can perform a restore.
    Once the restore is complete, click Start Controller.

or, you can manually end the following tasks:

wfxsvc.exe
    faxmng32.exe
    wfxctl32.exe
    wfxmod32.exe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.