Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    shrumishi

Greetings.

I’ve inherited an Access database that runs on a Windows 2000 server and checks if it needs to fax anything. This needs to move to a Windows 2003 server. The current code is using DDE to send the fax as a printed report from Access and works fine. When running the same code on the 2003 server, the Send Fax Wizard always comes up. I’ve seen the posts about problems in XP with this, but never saw anything about 2003.

I’m running 10.03 on Windows Server 2003 and 8.03 on Windows 2000 Server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dale.

shrumishi

After looking for this all day, I finally figured it out. (I think).

The Send Fax Wizard that is showing up is actually from the OS Faxing Service, not from Winfax. During installation of Winfax 10.03, the Winfax printer drivers failed, but wasn’t noticed. When a coworker went to manually add the Winfax printer driver, they wound up selecting the default Microsoft faxing service driver instead. So when the call would go out to print to the printer named “Winfax”, it wouldn’t even go to the Winfax software.

Trying to manually install the Winfax printer drivers failed, even running INSPRINT.EXE. The Event Viewer gives the reason, “Kernel Mode Printer blocking policy is enabled. The attempt for WinFax to use a Kernel Mode driver failed.” Disabling the “Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers” policy in local computer policy allowed the installation to complete.

Whew.

Dale.

Anonymous

Yup, Windows Advanced Server 2003 printer driver failure on install info here

http://www.getfaxing.com/cgi-bin/ib312/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=317

shrumishi

Thanks for the pointer. Don’t know why that didn’t come up in my initial forum search.

Can you believe that now I have almost the exact opposite problem?

I’ve got the drivers installed, but when I use the SDK, either COM or DDE, to print from an app, the print job goes through the print queue but never gets to the fax outbox. As a test, I tried to manually print to the WinFax printer and the same thing happened. The Send Fax Wizard never came up to prompt me for where to send it.

So I think that I am still missing something in my install. Any ideas?

Dale.

Anonymous

@shrumishi wrote:

Thanks for the pointer. Don’t know why that didn’t come up in my initial forum search.

Can you believe that now I have almost the exact opposite problem?

I’ve got the drivers installed, but when I use the SDK, either COM or DDE, to print from an app, the print job goes through the print queue but never gets to the fax outbox. As a test, I tried to manually print to the WinFax printer and the same thing happened. The Send Fax Wizard never came up to prompt me for where to send it.

So I think that I am still missing something in my install. Any ideas?

Dale.

Does the Send dialog box appear when you initiate a manual print from an application (such as Notepad, or MS Word?)
    using the WinFax PRO printer driver. (either Photo Quality or the standard driver)

If not, there still may be a printer driver related problem.

shrumishi

Nope, no send fax dialog at all when manually printing to either Winfax printer from an app.

Dale.

Anonymous

@shrumishi wrote:

Nope, no send fax dialog at all when manually printing to either Winfax printer from an app.

Dale.

Uninstall and then reinstall.

-Make sure the printer driver is completely removed (no WinFax PRO printer drivers exist) and then reinstall. Make sure that you don’t have Kernel Mode Printer blocking enabled, the the printer spooler is set to automatic and is running before you perform the re-install.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.