Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kaboondy
    Participant

I have a network of 5 WIN2000 machines one of which is the Host with the others being clients. To make life easier and to avoid having to update the phonebook on all the computers every time there are updates to the phonebook, we created a shared phonebook on the Host computer which is shared out to all the clients. This way the clients can not corrupt the phonebook (which is handled by the administrator). All computers are able to access the shared phonebook and send faxes. One of the 4 clients freezes when it goes into the send log. The program no longer responds. The only that one can do is to Cntr-Alt-Del to exit the program. One can restart the program and access the WinFax Pro Setup menu as well as the main screen with the send and receive logs on start up (as long as one does not start a “send fax” dialogue). I also can not access the phonebook – the program freezes when the phonebook menu is accessed.

Any ideas on how to deal with this? Worst case scenario, I am prepared to uninstall WinFax and re-install it without the shared phonebook installed. The only problem is that it will have to have a manual update of its phonebook.

Any help is most appreciated 😕

Administrator
    Keymaster

if only 1 out of the 5 clients fail to read the shared phonebook, then its likely a problem with that specific client installation of WinFax PRO.

If you remove the shared phonebook from that specific client that is failing, and create a new default phonebook. Does it continue to fail when selecting a phonebook? or opening the Send dialog?

kaboondy
    Participant

@Moderator wrote:

if only 1 out of the 5 clients fail to read the shared phonebook, then its likely a problem with that specific client installation of WinFax PRO.

If you remove the shared phonebook from that specific client that is failing, and create a new default phonebook. Does it continue to fail when selecting a phonebook? or opening the Send dialog?

Thank you for your prompt response. The client computer in question has been in operation for about one year (as a client but without the shared phonebook) and was a stand alone installation for a little longer previously – in other words, the install was stable. I got the idea of a shared phonebook from this Forum for which I am very grateful (as it does work with the other three computers). The only thing that seems to be different from the one failed computer and the others is that the failed computer is a PIII (pentium 3) while the others are P4. I don’t this would be the explanation, however.

Unfortunately, i am unable to access the phonebook any longer as the moment I try to access the phonebook (either directly by going to the “Go” then “Phonebook” menu or indirectly by sending a fax), the computer freezes and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of the program. In other words, the program no longer responds at all. I will have to reinstall the program (unless you have a suggestion for a remedy to try).

Thank you again for your help.

kaboondy
    Participant

@kaboondy wrote:

@Moderator wrote:

Thank you for your prompt response. The client computer in question has been in operation for about one year (as a client but without the shared phonebook) and was a stand alone installation for a little longer previously – in other words, the install was stable. I got the idea of a shared phonebook from this Forum for which I am very grateful (as it does work with the other three computers). The only thing that seems to be different from the one failed computer and the others is that the failed computer is a PIII (pentium 3) while the others are P4. I don’t this would be the explanation, however.

Unfortunately, i am unable to access the phonebook any longer as the moment I try to access the phonebook (either directly by going to the “Go” then “Phonebook” menu or indirectly by sending a fax), the computer freezes and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of the program. In other words, the program no longer responds at all. I will have to reinstall the program (unless you have a suggestion for a remedy to try).

Thank you again for your help.

This is quite bizzare but when I returned to the office to deal with the shared phonebook issue – there is no longer a problem. I was planning to reinstall WinFax from scratch but the computer has been operational for the past 2 days with no reported issues. I will report if we run into any issues. Thank you again. 😮 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.