Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

what would you suggest as a general fax init string for a LT 56k internal Winmodem, and what type of flow control would you suggest?

Anonymous

Hi Steve,
    Not too familiar with the Lucent WinModems, but you can try using AT&F&C1&D2S7=90 for the initialization string.

I would suggest using Hardware Flow Control, and you should add the appropriate flow control AT command for this modem.

also try:
    AT&F&C1&D2%C0
    3S7=90

I want to get a bunch of AT command manuals for various modems available here. I am working on that

Anonymous

I (carelessly) attempted to move my data folder from a client computer using the Maintanence Utility w/in WinFax Pro 10.02. All seemed to go well until I checked the logs and all the send and recieve messages were gone, as were my phonebook entries. All of them, POOF!

No, I didn’t make that all important backup before trying to move the folder (remember, I did say carelessly before). I was able to restore a backup of my phonebook that was dated 2002. That’s better than nothing if all else is gone.

I have a bunch of *.WFB files, but none that seem to have anything in them I tried, in vein, to use Symantec Tech Support, but after an hour on the phone with an Asian-Other male that I could not understand and who he thought had fixed my problem, I finally hung-up on him.

I need someone who knows their snot about WinFax, a wizard if you will, to lend their know-how to help me determine if I’ve lost the data or if it’s still recoverable or re-buildable.

My data files are still in the folder, I just lost the message stores of send and receive transactions and the phonebook entries.

If you can help, let me know.

Thanks,
    Tim

Anonymous

where you moving an existing WinFax data directory to another machine with WinFax?

Both WinFax machines have no data now?

Did you have multiple phonebooks, or a single phonebook? What was the name of the phonebook?

as for your logs, did you create “message store” folders or was it simply the “Send” and “Receive” logs?

WFB files are index files for logs and phonebooks, they are not the only files required to complete an entire log or phonebook. Phonebooks have several files, usually, it will be the name of the phonebook followed by the WFx file extension (wfb, wfx, wff etc.) the default phonebook is usually named “my-ph-bk”. If you created a new phonebook, it might have the unique name you gave it when you created it. Like “salesaccounts”

Logs use the same structure, the default log created by WinFax is called “status” so you’ll have several files with status.wfx, status.wfg, etc. If you created a “Message Store” which is basically another log structure , it would have the name you gave it when you created it.

The first step is to determine WHAT your logs are called and phonebooks are called.

Anonymous

Thanks for your post in reply. I hope you can help.

From my laptop (client), I used the Maintenance Utility feature to move my data folder to another drive on my office (host) computer. Honestly, I don’t even remember now why I tried doing it and can kick myself for not making a backup before I tried the move!

Both client and host have no transactions listed in either the send or receive logs nor does my phonebook have any entries, yet there are data files are in the data folder.

Phonebook was default name of “my_ph_bk” and I had many sub-folders or message stores within it. The other data files are the default “status.*”

Anonymous

Ok, so I’ll assume that the data you want is (was) on the Notebook machine?

The first step is to determine where WinFax is looking to load your phonebooks and logs (message stores)

On your notebook, click START, RUN and type REGEDIT.
    You need to find the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREDelrinaCommSuite7.0Phonebooks” key.
    Navigate to the “Phonebooks” folder by clicking on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then DELRINA, COMMSUITE, 7.0 and finally PHONEBOOKS.
    Do not change any information found in this registry!

You’ll find the name of the phonebook(s) listed here (for example (My Phonebook) and then you’ll see a “Path” in the right hand window. Path should show the complete path and filename of the phonebook. List what is displayed here.

Follow the same steps to list the paths for the Log(s) if they are available. Instead of “Phonebooks” in the last step, use “LOGS”. If there is no “+” beside the word “LOGS” then WinFax is not loading any additional message stores.

Anonymous

My WinFax data folder has always resided on a firewire drive that is attached to my office computer and is found in the “E:My DataWinfax” folder. The Office computer is setup as the HOST, the laptop is setup as the CLIENT.

Not that this is the immediate concern, but the data folder is only setup to with sharing enabled, but I’ve been learning recently that across a network, Mapped drives are the way to go?

Interestlingly enough, I followed your regedit directions, and I see no mention of LOGS! I have exported the Delrina portion of my registry and can send it to you if you’d like? Otherwise I’ll just shut up now and let you suggestion what having no LOG folder listed in the registry means.

Anonymous

@Mort3770 wrote:

My WinFax data folder has always resided on a firewire drive that is attached to my office computer and is found in the “E:My DataWinfax” folder. The Office computer is setup as the HOST, the laptop is setup as the CLIENT.

Not that this is the immediate concern, but the data folder is only setup to with sharing enabled, but I’ve been learning recently that across a network, Mapped drives are the way to go?

Interestlingly enough, I followed your regedit directions, and I see no mention of LOGS! I have exported the Delrina portion of my registry and can send it to you if you’d like? Otherwise I’ll just shut up now and let you suggestion what having no LOG folder listed in the registry means.

Ok, its OK if you don’t have a “LOGS” section. It just means that you don’t have any Message Stores setup in WinFax. You will only have the following folders: “Send Log” , “Receive Log” , “Outbox”, “Wastebasket” and any sub-folders you might have created listed here.

What are the phonebook paths listed? Are they E:My DataWinFax ? what is the filename for the phonebook(s)
    listed in the registry setting?

Can you post a directory listing of your E:MY DATAWINFAX directory? The easiest way to do this, type START, RUN.
    Type COMMAND
    You should get a DOS prompt.
    Switch to the drive/path where your data is stored. for example type:

CD “E:MY DATAWINFAX”
    if that doesn’t work, you might need to do the 8.3 filename format, which would be like:
    CD E:MyData~1WinFax

then type

DIR > DIRLIST.TXT

this will create a directory listing of E:MY DATAWINFAX in a file called DIRLIST.TXT

You can post that info here, or email [email protected] or email here using PM.

Anonymous

Step 1:

First I recommend making a backup of your current data now, by copying the entire contents of the E:My DataWinFax directory to a new directory, such as E:WinFaxOld, so now you have 2 copies of the data incase something else goes wrong.

Step 2:

For your reference, These are the files you are concerned with.

The Default Phonebook related Files:

02/13/2005  09:33 PM               634 MY-PH-BK.dmp
    01/12/2000  06:57 PM               188 MY-PH-BK.WFB
    02/16/2005  03:37 PM           109,568 MY-PH-BK.WFD
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM               128 MY-PH-BK.WFF
    02/16/2005  03:37 PM                54 MY-PH-BK.WFG
    01/12/2000  06:57 PM                 0 MY-PH-BK.WFR
    02/16/2005  03:37 PM           287,316 MY-PH-BK.WFX
    02/16/2005  03:37 PM               256 MY-PH-BK2.WFD
    02/16/2005  03:37 PM                54 MY-PH-BK2.WFG
    02/16/2005  03:37 PM            37,052 MY-PH-BK2.WFX
    04/20/2002  11:12 PM               256 MY-PH-BKS.WFD
    04/30/2002  04:20 PM                54 MY-PH-BKS.WFG
    04/20/2002  11:12 PM             6,588 MY-PH-BKS.WFX

The default Send/Receive/Outbox Log related Files

02/15/2005  09:14 PM               632 Status.dmp
    02/15/2005  09:14 PM               188 Status.WFB
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM           404,736 Status.WFD
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM               128 Status.WFF
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM                54 Status.WFG
    02/15/2005  09:14 PM                 0 Status.WFR
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM           436,522 Status.WFX
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM               256 Status2.WFD
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM                54 Status2.WFG
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM            16,678 Status2.WFX
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM               256 Status3.WFD
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM                54 Status3.WFG
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM            24,300 Status3.WFX
    02/15/2005  09:14 PM               256 StatusS.WFD
    02/16/2005  09:03 PM                54 StatusS.WFG
    02/15/2005  09:14 PM             5,490 StatusS.WFX

The 2nd step is to rebuild the log structure using a tool included with WinFax called “rebuild” and/or “optimize”. This may resolve the problem, providing the issue is related to database corruption.

Now, Exit all open programs, and stop the WinFax PRO service if you are running Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders. The Find dialog box appears.

From the Look In drop-down list, select the drive onto which you installed WinFax PRO.

In the Named field, type rebuild.bat and click Find Now.
    Windows displays all files matching the search criteria.
    Double-click the Rebuild.bat file. A dialog box appears, prompting you to select a database to rebuild.

Locate the Data folder. By default it will reside under C:Program FilesSymantecWinFax. If you have moved it or installed to a different folder, navigate to the Data folder.
    (In your case, E:My DataWinFax)

Select the .wfb file, and click Open to start the repair process.
    Click Close. (For the Log, it will be Status.WFB)

Repeat this process for all other .wfb files. These are the phonebook and log files.

Once all .wfb files have been rebuilt, close the Find window.

If you continue experiencing difficulties, locate and run Optimize.bat instead of Rebuild.bat.

Let me know if that works.

Edited By Moderator on Feb. 17 2005 at 13:42

Anonymous

I’ve tried all the proceedures you’ve mentioned, and I didn’t have any luck. Both the optimize and rebuild utilities run very quickly, indicating that very little is being fixed. I’ve run these utilities in the past and know that they’ve taken longer to process. I still have all my actual fax files and I have log files *.WFB), but somehow, they arn’t getting along.

Any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Have you tried importing data into a new message store?

Follow these steps to import logs or link to existing message stores:

In Message Manager, click Go, and then click Send log or Receive log.
    Click the File menu, point to New, and then click Message Store. The New Message Store dialog box appears.
    Type a name for the new message store, and click OK.
    Click the File menu, point to Import, and click Log. The Import Log wizard appears.
    Select the correct format for the message store or the log to import, and click Next.

NOTE: For WinFax PRO message stores, the file name corresponds to the name of the message store. For example, if the message store is called Sales in WinFax PRO, the file to import will be called Sales.wfb. The default message store in WinFax PRO is called Status.Wfb.

Click Select, select the message store or the log file to import, and then click Next.
    Select the message store created in step 2, and click Finish. The information is imported.

Edited By Moderator on Feb. 17 2005 at 18:14

Anonymous

“Have you tried importing data into a new message store?

Yes, didn’t work either.

Anonymous

Your data files may be corrupted beyond repair. If you like, you can send me a copy of the appropriate files (listed above) and I can see if I can do anything with it.

Anonymous

An alternative to access your sent and received faxes as attachments…

How to store fax images as attachments when logs are corrupted

Situation:
    You cannot recover your logs after trying all the recovery procedures, including DELFIX -REBUILD and restoring from backup. You still want to access your fax images and have them readily available.

Solution:
    This procedure should only be used if you cannot restore your logs, and you must have access to the fax images in Message Manager. Take the following steps to import your fax images as attachments:

In Message Manager, click the Go menu, and then click WinFax Attachments.
    Double-click New Folder and create a folder called Send and one called Receive.
    Click the Send folder you just created, and then double-click Create New Attachment.
    Click Select, and then go to the folder containing your fax image files. This folder is usually ..Program FilesSymantecWinFaxData (for WinFax PRO) or Program FilesSymantecTalkWorksData (for TalkWorks PRO).
    Type *.fxd next to File Name, and then press Enter. This will list all the image files of sent faxes. Each file represents one page of a fax.
    Select the first file, and then press Shift+End. This will select all the files. Click Open.
    The message “Multiple attachments have been selected…” appears.
    Click No. This will import the fax images into the Send folder you created in step 2.
    In the Attachments screen, click the Receive folder created in step 2, and then double-click Create New Attachment.
    Click Select, type *.FXR next to File Name and press enter. This will list all the image files of received faxes.
    Select the first file, press Shift+End. This will select all the files.
    Click open. You see the message “Multiple attachments have been selected….” Click No. This will import the fax images into the Receive folder you created.

NOTES:
    Storing your fax images as attachments will not list the information that appeared in the logs, such as dates, names and phone numbers. Right-click any attachment and select Properties to see additional fields.
    If required, type this information in the Description and Keywords fields. You can then sort on these fields. For example, you could enter a date in the Description field and the sender’s name in the Keywords field.
    This method stores each page as a separate attachment. However, if you have the time, you can go through all your fax images to see which were multiple-page faxes, and then import these faxes as single multiple-page attachments.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.