Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    glued2

I’ve used TalkWorks Pro for years on NT… just upgraded to XP.

TalkWorks phone and fax working fine BUT… I have always used the feature where, when a message is left (voicemail or fax), TW would call and let me know.

Now, the notification message just sits in the outbox. If I manually send it, it works fine… but it doesn’t happen automatically.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

JohnD
    Participant

try recreating the notification rule, if you have the existing rule that is not working I suggest you remove it and add a new one.

glued2

Nice thought, but it didn’t work. Deleted, built new, but same results:

The notification message just sits in the outbox with a status= Waiting

Waiting for what? Is there some background process that checks for it?

In the task manager, I see these running…

WFXSVC.EXE
    WFXSNT40.EXE
    WFXMOD32.EXE
    WFXCTL32.EXE
    FAXMNG32.EXE

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

JohnD
    Participant

Sounds to me that your logs have been corrupted I would recommend the following.

How to rebuild the Log and Phonebook files
    In the TalkWorks directory, double-click the SYMDIAG.EXE file. (Should be in the c:program filessymantectalkworks directory)

Click Launch Application or Applet, then click Next.
    Select TalkWorks PRO, and then Select “Delfix -REBUILD” and click Finish.
    Locate the Data folder. By default it will reside under C:Program FilesSymantecTalkWorks. If you have moved it or installed to a different folder, navigate to the Data folder.
    Select the .wfb file, and click Open to start the repair process.
    Click Close.
    Repeat steps for all other .wfb files. (These are the phonebook and log files.)
    Once all .wfb files have been rebuilt, click Close on the SymDiag window.

If you continue experiencing difficulties, select DELFIX -Optimize instead of -Rebuild in step # 3.

The following are the same steps as above, but using a different method:

How to manually rebuild the Log and Phonebook files
    Exit all open programs, and stop the WinFax PRO service if you are running Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders. The Find dialog box appears.
    From the Look In drop-down list, select the drive onto which you installed WinFax PRO.
    In the Named field, type rebuild.bat and click Find Now. Windows displays all files matching the search criteria.
    Double-click the Rebuild.bat file. A dialog box appears, prompting you to select a database to rebuild.
    Locate the Data folder. By default it will reside under C:Program FilesSymantecWinFax. If you have moved it or installed to a different folder, navigate to the Data folder.
    Select the .wfb file, and click Open to start the repair process.
    Click Close.
    Repeat this process for all other .wfb files. These are the phonebook and log files.
    Once all .wfb files have been rebuilt, close the Find window.

If you continue experiencing difficulties, locate and run Optimize.bat instead of Rebuild.bat.

goodluck

Edited By JohnD on Sep. 10 2004 at 09:29

JohnD
    Participant

@glued2 wrote:

In the task manager, I see these running…

WFXSVC.EXE
    WFXSNT40.EXE
    WFXMOD32.EXE
    WFXCTL32.EXE
    FAXMNG32.EXE

Those are specific WinFax files,

WFXSVC.EXE <— WinFax Service (for NT/XP/2000) (allows faxes to be received while not logged on)
    WFXSNT40.EXE <— WinFax Printer Service (for NT/XP/2000)
    WFXMOD32.EXE <— Fax Engine for sending/receiving faxes
    WFXCTL32.EXE <– The WinFax Controller
    FAXMNG32.EXE <— WinFax Fax Manager (Main Program Interface)

glued2

I tried the rebuild/optimize but still doesn’t work.

HOWEVER, out of the blue… I got a notification call … it was from a test message I had left in the outbox the day before.

Upon closer inspection, I now see where the outbox message sitting in a Wait status has a date 1 day in the future for the same hour/minute as the call. I checked the delivery options and have “send as soon as possible” checked (not x hours from now or every day at xx).

I created several other test messages and the notification is always dated 1 day later. The clock on my computer is correct. Where could it be getting this?

Anonymous

are you using MM/DD/YYYY format for your system settings?
    check to see if you are using MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY for your system time/date settings. This should be in the “Regional Options” area in the Control Panel.

Also , are you using TalkWorks PRO 3.0 (July 26, 1999) (see Help, About in Message Manager)

Edited By Moderator on Sep. 11 2004 at 14:35

glued2

I appreciate your help!

I’m on XP now, so Regional settings say:
    Short date: 9/11/2004
    Long date: Saturday, September 11, 2004

At test message right now generates a notification message in the outbox with a date of 9/12/2004 (same hour/min/sec)… so, I’m guessing I will get a notification tomorrow at this time.

I would have sworn I was running 3, but apparently I’m at:
    TalkWorks PRO 2.0 (Jul 27 1998). Was running perfectly under Windows NT 4.0 sp6, though.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide to resolve this!

Anonymous

Ok, the problem is that you are using a non-Year 2k compliant version of TalkWorks. You’ll need to update to release 2.02 of TalkWorks PRO, (or get version 3.0)

Here is a document with this problem, it also applies to faxes and notifications (basically, anything that is put in the outbox automatically that is scheduled to go out)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT&#8230;.7273604

Anonymous

I hope LiveUpdate still works for that product, because it seems that Symantec has deleted all references and files to TalkWorks PRO 2.0 and 3.0

glued2

Your description of the problem looks correct… and LiveUpdate no longer works.

So, what are my options?

It would be nice to get my hands on the complete file set for the manual update method mentioned in the Symantec link (above).

I **DO** have all the updated files, though. When I upgraded to XP, I installed on a fresh hard drive and kept the old NT C: drive intact. A diff on the directories shows a boatload of changed dll’s, cfg’s, ftg, fti, and whatnot. It would be easy if this problem was caused by a single dll, for example, and (if I knew which it was) I could just copy it over. Usually, though, such files have to be kept in sych.

I wonder how safe it would be to just copy all the files over to the new install. Might be OK… but possible registry entries could be a problem. Unless you have another suggestion, I might have to try that. Worst case, it breaks and I uninstall/re-install and try something else.

An aside, this is one reason why I generally don’t like the Live Update type of thing. While it’s nice and easy, it decreases your independence from the vendor. I’d rather get the file updates independently… which I would have burned to an archive… and would be able to “get myself back where I was”. (Thanks for letting me get that off my chest… I feel better now.)

Thank you for your continued time and interest in my problem.

Out of curiosity … why did Symantec drop this product? It sure has been a good one for me and I don’t see where another product came along and knocked them out of this market slot.

Anonymous

Here is the original technical document to upgrade TalkWorks PRO 2.0 to version 2.03, however, all the files have been removed from the Symantec Web site. I believe the file you require is Tw02539.exe

You can update TalkWorks PRO 2.0 using the LiveUpdate option under the Help menu in TalkWorks PRO 2.0

For more information on using LiveUpdate with TalkWorks PRO 2.0, please see the following web page link:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT&#8230;.7441204

If you cannot run LiveUpdate at your location, you can still update to release 2.03 by downloading and installing the appropriate manual update file from one of the links listed below:

To upgrade TalkWorks PRO 2.0 to 2.03

NOTE: This file is for version 2.00 ONLY. To verify which version you currently have installed, click Help, then click About Message Manager within TalkWorks PRO 2.0.

Download Tw02539.exe from:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/talkworkspro/talkworkspro2.html

After downloading this file, double-click T02539.exe to extract the patch files.
    To upgrade, run Patch.exe, then restart the system when complete.

To upgrade TalkWorks PRO 2.01 to 2.03

NOTE: This file is for version 2.01 ONLY. To verify which version you currently have installed, click Help, then click About Message Manager within TalkWorks PRO 2.01.

Download Tw01053.exe from:

After downloading this file, double-click Tw01053.exe to extract the patch files.

To upgrade TalkWorks PRO 2.02 to 2.03

NOTE: This file is for version 2.02 ONLY. To verify which version you currently have installed, click Help, then click About Message Manager within TalkWorks PRO 2.02.

Download Tw01056.exe from:

After downloading this file, double-click Tw01056.exe to extract the patch files.

Edited By Moderator on Sep. 12 2004 at 04:33

Anonymous

@glued2 wrote:

Your description of the problem looks correct… and LiveUpdate no longer works.

So, what are my options?

It would be nice to get my hands on the complete file set for the manual update method mentioned in the Symantec link (above).

I **DO** have all the updated files, though. When I upgraded to XP, I installed on a fresh hard drive and kept the old NT C: drive intact. A diff on the directories shows a boatload of changed dll’s, cfg’s, ftg, fti, and whatnot. It would be easy if this problem was caused by a single dll, for example, and (if I knew which it was) I could just copy it over. Usually, though, such files have to be kept in sych.

I wonder how safe it would be to just copy all the files over to the new install. Might be OK… but possible registry entries could be a problem. Unless you have another suggestion, I might have to try that. Worst case, it breaks and I uninstall/re-install and try something else.

An aside, this is one reason why I generally don’t like the Live Update type of thing. While it’s nice and easy, it decreases your independence from the vendor. I’d rather get the file updates independently… which I would have burned to an archive… and would be able to “get myself back where I was”. (Thanks for letting me get that off my chest… I feel better now.)

Thank you for your continued time and interest in my problem.

Out of curiosity … why did Symantec drop this product? It sure has been a good one for me and I don’t see where another product came along and knocked them out of this market slot.

You might want to try contacting Symantec and asking for the file you require. I am not sure why Symantec would remove all references to TalkWorks products on their Web site.

You can also try copying the files over, but there might be some system files in other directories that may not copy. The registry is likely the same, so it probably won’t have any problems with registry entries. Usually, the program will create new default entries if they are missing.

They discontinued TalkWorks PRO in 2000 I believe, it likely was not selling enough units to continue development.

glued2

I tried simply copying all the files from my old install to the new one. The program runs but, some some reason, now thinks it’s just TalkWorks Basic, not Pro. No phone, cover page designer, etc… just faxing.

I restored the files and it’s fully operational now… well, except I still have the 24hour delayed notification.

I did find the About.cfg files on the new and old installs and can see that, fresh from the CD I have TW 2.0, while the old working system is TW 2.03.

So, I guess I will try to contact Symantec and see if they will supply Tw02539.exe

Thanks for your help! Hopefully, they will both have the old update file and provide it.

Anonymous

you might have updated TW using a patch downloaded from Symantec. It might still be on your system, search for that TW*.exe file or another called patch.exe

Edited By Moderator on Sep. 17 2004 at 21:16

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.