Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pmarsh

I personal dislike the product more that anyone on earth but my customers love it so I have to support this lousy product.

WinFax host is running on Win2K SP
    Clients are XP SP2

Everyting has been working fine until the other day when one of the clients reports the following error.

Unable to connect to host:
    The object exporter specified was not found.

I called Symantec tech support they said they had a fix
    Upgrade WinFax 10.02 to 10.03 and then apply the update of 10.04

I followed everything they said to do to a T and still have the problem.

Called tech support back and now they say they don’t suport WinFax host running on Win2K.

I’m soo pissed off at Symantec yet another example of them blowing their customers off.

Can someone please tell me what

“The object exporter specified was not found” means?

Thanx, Paul
    I HATE WINFAX!

Administrator
    Keymaster

Since you mention everything >was< working fine, did you reboot both the Host machine first and then the client (make sure you start the Host first, and then reboot the client(s)) Usually a messed up DCOM connect causes the Fax Sharing to fail, and subsequent attemps to connect will fail unless you reboot the Host and Client(s) The object exporter message is a DCOM problem making a connection from the Client to the Host. Usually this is a TCP/IP related issue, but could be anything. If you’ve rebooted and the same problem exists, is there anything that has changed with the client machines, or the Windows 2000 machine acting as the Host?

pmarsh

Reboots where the first things I did and still no luck. I searched symantecs kb’s and found the info on upgrading to 10.03 and then .04 The only thing that has changed on the client is possibly a new NAV 2005 update but then again it would be the first time NAV and WinFax had issues. Hey aren’t they made by the same company, hey wouldn’t ya think the development teams would communcate with each other????

I wish there was some way log what’s going on in the background with WinFax that way I could get to the bottom of the problem.

The thing I find amazing is I’m not the only one with problems, there are hundreds of users out there with WinFax problems. I wish there was another product out there so I could bump this lousy good for nothing ………

Thanx, Paul

pmarsh

I’ve been digging around trying to find a solution to my problem. I just found a post on another group that states the following.

You can’t use ip addresses with either 0’s or 1’s by them selfs in an octet because WinFax will change the system MAC.

WTF are they out of their minds.

Check out this Symantec link.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT&#8230;.&csm=no

WHO WAS THE BRIGHT ONE WHO DID THIS CODING????

Would someone like to call Symantec tech support and inform them of the most commonly used private ip schemes????

Man it just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@pmarsh wrote:

I’ve been digging around trying to find a solution to my problem. I just found a post on another group that states the following.

You can’t use ip addresses with either 0’s or 1’s by them selfs in an octet because WinFax will change the system MAC.

WTF are they out of their minds.

Check out this Symantec link.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT&#8230;.&csm=no

WHO WAS THE BRIGHT ONE WHO DID THIS CODING????

Would someone like to call Symantec tech support and inform them of the most commonly used private ip schemes????

Man it just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

I have no idea where they get this problem with “1”s and “0”s in the IP address. How can WinFax change the system’s MAC address?

Did you try this? What is the IP address (sub-net) of your network? are you connecting with an IP address, or computer-name?

also, if your using NAV, do you have Norton Internet Security as well? Firewall, and or Worm protection turned on? That is a possible issue preventing connections to the Host machine.

pmarsh

UPDATE:

I still dislike WinFax

I wish I had more time to dig into why and which items caused the problem but it’s solved for the moment. I ran Ad-aware and things are hot, straight and normal again. So if you run into the problem I outlined above take a moment and run your favorite flavor of spyware removal solution and see if that helps.

If you can help it stay away from WinFax in the first place.

Thanx, Paul

luckyfax

I know this is a very late reply but I suffered from this too. This may help someone in the future…

I rectified the problem. It can either be caused by the client having the incorrect ip address (hadn’t updated yet) on the DNS server or incorrect cached ip address on the winfax host machinedns cache. Make sure you can ping the client PC name from the host.

I hope it helps. It worked for me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.