Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dr.rocket

I am trying to retrieve old faxes but am not sure where to find the ones that are not present in my current WinFax Send and Receive Logs. I have multiple locations for WinFax-related “Data,” “DATAOLD,” and “Old” folders. The locations include My DocumentsWinFaxPRO, C:WinFax, and C:WinFaxSave (which may be a directory I created to save faxes I wanted archived). If it is relevant, I have Status.WFB files present in 10 different locations on my hard drive.

How can I retrieve old faxes that are not accessible via my current Send and Receive Logs, and how can I keep old faxes archived but retrievable? I don’t want bloated Send and Receive Logs to cause problems in WinFax, but I want to be able to access my old faxes. [Also, I figure WinFax backups will take less time if there are fewer total number of current faxes to backup.]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    Keymaster

How to move your existing faxes to a new message store

Message Manager stores log records in the “Messages” message store. A message store works like a filing cabinet with drawers that hold different types of files. For easy access, the Messages message store organizes your messages by placing them in one of four folders:

Send Log, Stores sent messages.
    Receive Log, Stores received messages.
    Outbox , Stores scheduled, held, and pending messages.
    Wastebasket, Stores deleted messages until you remove them manually or automatically.

Messages in the Messages message store are uncompressed; the Messages message store is therefore more suitable for short-term message storage or for storing a smaller number of messages. If you want to keep your messages for long-term use or you receive large numbers of messages, you can set up your own message filing system with custom message stores and subfolders. For example, you might want to organize correspondence by customer and your sales reports by quarter.

The above is from the users’ guide/online WinFax help. The “default” message store is uncompressed and suitable for short term storage.

Step 1.
    Before moving or copying faxes into a new message store folder you create,You should first install the fix “Move/Copy Logs Disk Space Error” from “Logs & Phonebooks” option in WinFax Tools (for Windows XP.)

Step 2.
    In WinFax PRO – Click Tools, Program Setup, Message Management:
    Enable options: “Save both log record and fax pages” and enable “Save Attachments”

Step 3
    Before creating the message store, you should create a folder where you want to store this data. (example: c:myarchivedfaxes)

Step 4.
    To Create a new Message Store:
    In Message Manager, click Go menu, and click Send Log.
    Click File, point to New, and click Message Store. The New Message Store dialog box appears.
    Enter a name and description for the new Message Store, and click ADVANCED.
    Select type WinFax PRO 10 and check Compressed. click SET LOCATION.
    Select the location where you want the data to be saved. *The folder you just created previously* (example c:myarchivefaxes)
    Click OK.
    You now have a new Message Store. You can create sub-folders in this new message store if you like to organize your faxes (sent, rececived etc.)

Step 5.
    You can now “move” faxes from your default message store’s Send and Receive folders into the appropriate folders in your new message store.
    Moving will move the files from default data folder to the new data folder on the message store. Copying faxes will make a duplicate copy.

On the Go menu, click the log folder containing the message you want to move.
    The Logs window opens to display the selected folder.
    In the folder list, click the appropriate folder or subfolder, if necessary.
    In the record list, click the message you want to move.
    On the Edit menu, click Move To. The Move dialog appears.
    In the Move To list, click the destination folder (the new message store).

dr.rocket

I believe that’s what I tried to do in the past (many months ago), but when I recently opened the Saved Send and Saved Receive folders within WinFax, much to my shock and dismay, I got a message saying those folders were empty! I don’t know what I did wrong, nor do I remember to what directory I moved my old faxes, though I suspect it was a directory named WinFaxSave.

After first renaming my current WinFax Data file, I was able to copy and rename some of the DATAOLD folders (one at a time) to Data in my WinFax directory and the old faxes contained within were then accessible. Can I consolidate the multiple WinFax-related Data, DATAOLD, and Old folders and have them accessible in Saved folders accessible within WinFax? If so, would you be so kind as to walk me through it in baby steps. My head started spinning trying to follow the Users’ Guide instructions you posted. ;(

Administrator
    Keymaster

The steps above prepare you to move/copy the faxes into a consolidated message store (folder).

since you have many DATAOLD folders that are unsorted, you have to go through the tedious process of shutting down WinFax and Controller and then rename these folders to DATA one at a time to complete this entire process of copying the faxes over to the common consolidated message store.

NOTE: Never rename a file or folder while WinFax is open and active. Close WinFax and Controller before attempting this. I suggest using the options in WinFax Tools – “End All WinFax Tasks” to close WinFax PRO and Controller, And “Start Controller” when you are ready to start WinFax.

After you’ve copied all the faxes to the consolidated folder in WinFax Message Manager you can then rename your original data folder back to its original default name (DATA) and then start WinFax again.

You should now see your current list of faxes as before, but you should also see a folder of your consolidated faxes from the old fax folders.

If you don’t see the old faxes, then you need to manually add the message store.

To do this, you need to click on File, New, Message Store.
    Click Advanced.
    Click Use Existing WinFax PRO… and select the .wfb file from the folder on your hard drive which contains all the consolidated faxes. (eg. c:winfaxsave)
    Enter a name and description for the message store. click OK.
    The folder should now appear in WinFax PRO and you have access to all your current faxes, and all the old faxes.

Elliot

Hello All,

I had trouble with my Winfax and ended up doing a reinstall. I had previously saved and then copied all the files in the WinFax data directory after the install. All the 2011 fxd and fxr files are in the data directory but I cannot see them in WinFax. I have rebuilt and optimized the logs using the bat files but still cannot “see” the 2011 faxes I have sent and received. I can’t get the import command to import the 2011 files into WinFax. I can see the files anytime by opening them up in Explore. The Winfax viewer opens the files up without a problem but it would be much easier to see them within the WinFax program.

Thanks,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

@Elliot wrote:

I had trouble with my Winfax and ended up doing a reinstall. I had previously saved and then copied all the files in the WinFax data directory after the install. All the 2011 fxd and fxr files are in the data directory but I cannot see them in WinFax. I have rebuilt and optimized the logs using the bat files but still cannot “see” the 2011 faxes I have sent and received. I can’t get the import command to import the 2011 files into WinFax. I can see the files anytime by opening them up in Explore. The Winfax viewer opens the files up without a problem but it would be much easier to see them within the WinFax program.

1. Shut down WinFax PRO and Controller if active – also make sure the WinFax Service is disabled (important) (you can disable it using WinFax Tools using the WinFax Service button)
    2. Once WinFax is shut down and the service is disabled, go to your existing DATA folder and rename it (example DATA-MARCH19-2012). If you are not sure where your existing data folder is, click “WinFax Info” in WinFax Tools. This will list your data folder path (usually this is c:program filesWinFaxData)
    3. Create a new empty folder called DATA
    4. Copy the entire contents of the original data folder that you backed up before you re-installed WinFax into this empty DATA folder you just created.
    5. Once files have been copied to the DATA folder, close all Explorer windows that have WinFax files open (important).
    6. Now, start WinFax PRO using the “Start Controller” button in WinFax Tools. This will start the Controller, you can now open the WinFax Messenger to view the faxes *assuming there was no data problems in the original data files you copied*.

Elliot

Dear Moderator,

Thanks for your attempt to help with my problem. I followed your instructions and I still can see all the faxes that I could see before so I am no worse off. I archive my faxes by year. It is the 2011 faxes that I still can’t “see.” They are definitely in the data directory. I open them up using Explore and they open up using WinFax Pro Viewer. It looks like all the 2011 fxd and fxr files are there just fine.

Now that I followed your instructions, where in WinFax may I be able to see any of my 2011 files? What Message Folder might they be in? I have looked at my various archive message folders and cannot see any 2011 faxes (sent or received). They are not in the default send or receive message folders. Should I rebuild the log? Should I import a log into my 2011 message folder?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

look for files in your DATA folder with the extension .WFB , for example status.wfb, archive2011.wfb ,my-ph-bk.wfb
    the .wfb is one file of many message store and phonebook files (there should be up to 15 of each filename). Do you have any of these files? and what are the names?

Elliot

Dear Moderator,

Thanks for your question. I only have two WFB files in the WinFax/Data directory; MY-Ph-BK.wfb and Status.wfb. Again, there are many *.fxr files that I received in 2011 that I can open using the WiFax Pro Viewer. I cannot find them within the WinFax Program received files.

Thanks,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

can you describe in more detail how you archive these faxes? Did you create new message stores within WinFax, or did you create folders underneath the “Messages” (the default message store) folder?

If you did create folders, are the folders visible now in WinFax? are only 2011 faxes missing? are other folders present?

Elliot

Hello Moderator,

Under the Main Messages folder I have subdirectories for each year, i.e. Archive Faxes 2007, Archive Faxes 2008, Archive Faxes 2009 etc. I can see faxes in the other subdirectories. There is a Archive Faxes folder for 2011 and there are fxr and fxd files in the Winfax data directory that are dated in 2011. How can I get Winfax to “see” those 2011 data files?

Thanks for your help,
    ~ Elliot

Administrator
    Keymaster

@Elliot wrote:

Under the Main Messages folder I have subdirectories for each year, i.e. Archive Faxes 2007, Archive Faxes 2008, Archive Faxes 2009 etc. I can see faxes in the other subdirectories. There is a Archive Faxes folder for 2011 and there are fxr and fxd files in the Winfax data directory that are dated in 2011. H

if they are all under the “Messages” folder (along with Outbox, Receive, Send) then they are all in your default log structure. If the faxes that are located in the Archive 2011 folder are missing, then you cannot recover the entries in the logs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.