Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kungmats

Hi!

Is it some how possible to use an external phonebook instead of Winfax phonebook?

I want to build my own phonebook with a MySql database.

The first reason that I want it for is that I want my receiving customers to just click on a link in an email to subscribe or unsubscribe from my fax sendings.

JohnD
    Participant

@kungmats wrote:

Hi!

Is it some how possible to use an external phonebook instead of Winfax phonebook?

I want to build my own phonebook with a MySql database.

The first reason that I want it for is that I want my receiving customers to just click on a link in an email to subscribe or unsubscribe from my fax sendings.

if your going to have some sort of on-line database that customers can access, you’d have to frequently import that data into WinFax so it is up to date. Depending on the frequency of your faxes this may or may not be a possible solution.

Another idea would be to get the data linked into WinFax by using ODBC

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….8053904

JohnD
    Participant

I found this,

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html

allows access to MySQL via ODBC.

Since WinFax can access data via ODBC, this may work.

kungmats

Thank you very much!

I downloaded and installed the driver and I also got it to work and connect ok in Windows settings, but I cant get it up in the list in Winfax

JohnD
    Participant

Did you setup the data source?

like listed here
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/is/mysql/odbc/

Before you can use ODBC, you have to set up a Data Source or DSN, which includes information about the database you want to access. This is done using the ODBC Data Source Administrator. If you have installed MyODBC on your own machine, this tool will be found in the Windows Control Panel. The name and location varies, depending on which version of Windows you are running. It may be called Data Sources (ODBC) or simply ODBC. If you don’t see it in the main list of control panels, look in Administrative Tools.

this is the important part:

You can click Test Data Source to check that you have typed your user name and password correctly. When you click OK, the DSN will be created.

I think the screen shots on that web site are a little old, but should be similar setup.

The WinFax portion of the setup would be something like this:

Start Message Manager.

Click File, point to New, and click Phonebook.

Select the Link to an Existing Phonebook option and click Next.

Enter a name for the phonebook, and click Next.

Click Other, select SQL Server via ODBC, and click Next.

Click Set Information, and select the data source (your mysql database)

Select the table containing the contact information, usually Customers or Contacts for example.

Map the database fields on the left to the WinFax phonebook fields on the right, or click on the automatic button to map the fields automatically. Normally automatic mapping will work fine.

Click Next, click Finish, and click Finish again. The operation is complete.

Exit all programss, and restart the system.

Launch Message Manager.

Click Go, and click Phonebook. The phone book should now appear with the name you assigned

kungmats

Yes!

Ive done all that and the connection works as I wrote, but in the last step when Im gonna add a new phonebook in Winfax, the MySQL option is not there

Start Message Manager.

Click File, point to New, and click Phonebook.

Select the Link to an Existing Phonebook option and click Next.

Enter a name for the phonebook, and click Next.

Click Other, select SQL Server via ODBC, and click Next.

Click Set Information, and select the data source (your mysql database) (mysql aint there)

Select the table containing the contact information, usually Customers or Contacts for example.

Map the database fields on the left to the WinFax phonebook fields on the right, or click on the automatic button to map the fields automatically. Normally automatic mapping will work fine.

Click Next, click Finish, and click Finish again. The operation is complete.

Exit all programss, and restart the system.

Launch Message Manager.

Click Go, and click Phonebook. The phone book should now appear with the name you assigned

JohnD
    Participant

I checked that Web site I gave you and it may have some incorrect information that you may have followed. in the web page I linked, the example said to click the “User DSN” then click “Add” to add the MySql.
    This is incorrect for WinFax, it should be click the “System DSN” tab, then click Add. You should be able to add “MySQL ” from the list and then it should be available to select when you go through the steps in adding the phonebook. WinFax does not support user dsn, only system dsn.

click “System DSN” tab,

then Add…MySQL

then in this screen , add the necessary MySQL DSN info

Edited By JohnD on 1204840354

kungmats

Thanks, and Yes!

One step further, BUT when I now get to choose the table I get this ERROR message. error rc=1012

I googled and found this but I don’t understand what he means
    http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2004-January/004077.html

Maybe you have something more to suggest

JohnD
    Participant

Not really sure what that error is, its possible that WinFax won’t link directly with MySQL if it is trying to use dynasets and MySQL doesn’t support that (from what the poster was mentioning in the message)

Rather than directly accessing the database as MySQL, somehow the database can be converted to another format , locally, which then can be accessed in WinFax as an external phonebook as DBF file, or Access MDB.

(example – MySQL link in Excel, save db as .DBF in Excel, link External phonebook to .dbf in WinFax.)

Not my area of expertise, but I think it may be possible.

Edited By JohnD on 1204845461

kungmats

OK!

But in that case Im back to zero, thow I want an “on line” phonebook that’s up to date every minute.

I have Winfax 10.02 … do you think it’ll be better to upgrade to 10.03 or 10.04?

What’s the different?

JohnD
    Participant

@kungmats wrote:

OK!

But in that case Im back to zero, thow I want an “on line” phonebook that’s up to date every minute.

I have Winfax 10.02 … do you think it’ll be better to upgrade to 10.03 or 10.04?

What’s the different?

What’s the different?

from the user interface, there is no difference between 10.02/10.03 and 10.04
    10.03 has SDK fixes (important if you do fax merges) and some of the macros were updated.
    10.04 is just an update to 10.03 that includes a fix for Windows XP and Fax Sharing.

kungmats

OK!

Thanks for you help anyway … If you come up with some solution, please let me know.

Best regards

/Mats

Administrator
    Keymaster

You’re welcome. If something comes up we’ll be sure to post it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.