Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MarioBro

This has been bothering me for some time and also causes issues on my system eventually. When the Winfax Pro 10.04 Message Manager application is started on Windows XP Pro or Home, the Handles count (looking in Task Manager) immediately begins to increment by about 2 every second. Eventually the program seems to become problematic and affect the system.

Does anyone else notice this issue? Is there a fix for this? I am sure it is a simple fix in the code, but sadly I somehow doubt a fix will be forthcoming for Winfax anymore.

MarioBro

I did install the 10.04 update, but find now that I do not use the sharing anymore. I installed 10.03 and then applied the 10.04 update.

Yes, it is very strange as the handles just continue to grow by 2 every second, no matter what if anything is taking place. I do not see a way of removing the 10.04 update either, other than to likely do a full reinstall of the 10.03.

JohnD
    Participant

did some checking on this:

On Windows XP SP2 system:

using clean winfax data, default logs/phonebooks, new install in each case.

1. winfax pro 10.03 (did not try 10.04)
    handles count increases by 2 every second for wfxctl32.exe process

2. winfax pro 10.02
    handles count increases by 2 every second for wfxctl32 process

3. winfax pro 10.0 – no handles count increase noticed for wfxctl32.exe. (approx 300-400 )

4. winfax pro 10.01 – no handles count increase noticed for wfxctl32.exe (same as 10.0)

Does your WinFax PRO 10.03/10.04 hang after about 1 day of operation (assuming over 30,000 – 40,000 Handles )

When you click on Help, About Message Manager.
    Click the SYSTEM INFO Tab.
    What does it say under “Operating System” ?

Edited By JohnD on 1193377434

MarioBro

Well, the problem is now that I have updated to Windows Vista, so not even sure if Winfax will run on Vista now, and maybe even a little scared to try it. Vista is not very well done in that they have done stupid things like not copying certain USB flash drive drivers from the driver cache to the actual Windows directories, thus unless you are aware of this, you cannot figure out how the heck to get an external hard drive or flash drive to actualy work. Thankfully I am good at digging for information..

So, will it run on Vista?

JohnD
    Participant

No, it does not work in Vista. It will install fine, but without printer drivers and other problems.

Administrator
    Keymaster

update on this appears to be Windows XP specific issue only, problem is in wfxctl32.exe

WFXCTL32.EXE pid: 3932

MarioBro

So it seems the printer driver is not just an issue on Vista, but causes a build up of handles in Xp as well. Nice…

Administrator
    Keymaster

@MarioBro wrote:

So it seems the printer driver is not just an issue on Vista, but causes a build up of handles in Xp as well. Nice…

yes, a lot more handles under Vista from what I can see. 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.