Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pmarsh

I’m so sick of this stupid program I could scream. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. But my costomer loves it so I have to support it. I’ve been using US Robotics external modems, I’m not sure if they are causing the problems or not (WinFax hangs when receiving random faxes which causes the line to remain busy). I want to start with the correct modem and work my way back to make sure everything is right before I tell my customer I no longer support that piece of $%^* software.

So the question is what is the correct external or internal modem to use with WinFax 10.4 running on Win2K server and don’t give me you can’t use WinFax on a server platform, that’s BS directly from SUXmantec.

I feel better now :p

pmarsh

Come on someone must be using a modem that they haven’t had any problems with???????

Anonymous

U.S. Robotics modems are probably the worst modems to use with WinFax.

The best are Rockwell based chipset modems. These are older type modems, the Supra modems (now discontinued for a long time) are probably one of the best types of modems to use with WinFax PRO.

Here is a picture of one of the older 28.8Kbps SupraFax Modems

http://217.13.4.3/~kroste/project/ip_phone/supra.jpg

pmarsh

Sorry but are you serious? I need to find an old modem, none of the new ones work well with WinFax?

Anonymous

@pmarsh wrote:

Sorry but are you serious? I need to find an old modem, none of the new ones work well with WinFax?

I’ve personally found good results with Rockwell based chipset modems. If the modem is hardware based (not a software driven modem like a WinModem) then you should be OK with WinFax PRO.

Symantec/Delrina use to publish a list of tested modems, but they no longer have this list available. They never approved any specific modem over another for the reason that they had bundle deals with many different modem manufacturers and didn’t want to upset the relationship with a specific manufacturer.

pmarsh

It really bothers me that Symantec sells WinFax knowing that it has problems. I’ve found so many other people with the same problems but no fix. The problem is they have the market share and they don’t give a rats ass, if they did they would fix it or at lease point us to the problem. All their tech notes say rebuild the logs. Stop it, the db has nothing to do with it. I guess it’s what I should expect from Symantec, their AV products are weak and cause all kinds of other problems. I’m really concerned about the damage they’ll do to Veritas now that they own it. I’ve been using Veritas for years now, the first version released under Symantecs control is 10D I’ve been testing it for two weeks now and it’s got problems. WHY, WHY, WHY?

I’m not a programer but I wish I was so I could design and produce a product that would work and not hang when it receives a fax.

I wish someone could tell me why it hangs, what is the root cause?????

Is there reg hacks out there that I don’t know about?

HELP ME PLEASE I HATE WINFAX but I have to support it.

Anonymous

@pmarsh wrote:

It really bothers me that Symantec sells WinFax knowing that it has problems. I’ve found so many other people with the same problems but no fix. The problem is they have the market share and they don’t give a rats ass, if they did they would fix it or at lease point us to the problem. All their tech notes say rebuild the logs. Stop it, the db has nothing to do with it.

Actually, corrupt logs can cause a lot of problems including causing faxes to hang.

I guess it’s what I should expect from Symantec, their AV products are weak and cause all kinds of other problems. I’m really concerned about the damage they’ll do to Veritas now that they own it. I’ve been using Veritas for years now, the first version released under Symantecs control is 10D I’ve been testing it for two weeks now and it’s got problems. WHY, WHY, WHY?

Don’t know why since they are the same Veritas people at development, just now merged with Symantec.

I’m not a programer but I wish I was so I could design and produce a product that would work and not hang when it receives a fax.

I wish someone could tell me why it hangs, what is the root cause?????

Is there reg hacks out there that I don’t know about?

HELP ME PLEASE I HATE WINFAX but I have to support it.

Have you tried changing the modem?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.