Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jadejadejade

Does Winfax support 2003 Server? I mean does Winfax 10.0, 10.02, 10.03 or 10.04 supports Window 2003 Server?

I, as administrator of a law company, have tried but failed to install it in Window 2003 Server for Winfax 10.02 and 10.03 and even 9.0. It almost completed the installation but only cannot add Winfax printer in its very final step of installation. It warned with Error code 1930 “winfax printer add failed….” which is similar to an error code 1797 with same “winfax printer add failed”. The later error code 1797 was addressed and advised in symantec website for its solutions (like disable RAS, install HP Laserjet printer, printer spooler service, etc). But it does not address my error code 1930. I have tried using above suggested method for tackling error 1797 so that I can tackle error 1930. Of course, I failed to add the printer eventually. ๐Ÿ™

So I suspect if Winfax 10.0 can solve the problem by wiping out all and then installing 10.0.

I have also tried the framedyn.dll copying to c:windowssystem32, as suggested by Symantec for winfax (9.0 if i remember)..but of course I failed again. ๐Ÿ™

I would really like to see any solution……..and to know if it is totally incompatible with Window 2003 Server.

Anonymous

Symantec’s official response is not to support Windows 2003 Server (any version of WinFax). ๐Ÿ™ You can try adding the printer driver using the WinFax maintanence tool (Tools menu in WinFax)
    that might help.

jadejadejade

@Moderator wrote:

Symantec’s official response is not to support Windows 2003 Server (any version of WinFax). ๐Ÿ™ You can try adding the printer driver using the WinFax maintanence tool (Tools menu in WinFax)
    that might help.

I have tried your method “WinFax maintanence” but failed too. Any advice ?

jadejadejade

Ok….Can u give me a personal advice whether Winfax can be installed or not, no matter what Symantec officially said. Also, are u familar with 2003 Server Microsoft Fax? Does it crash with Winfax? I mean can it be coexistent with Winfax in 2003 server?

Anonymous

@jadejadejade wrote:

Ok….Can u give me a personal advice whether Winfax can be installed or not, no matter what Symantec officially said. Also, are u familar with 2003 Server Microsoft Fax? Does it crash with Winfax? I mean can it be coexistent with Winfax in 2003 server?

From the readme.txt file in WinFax PRO 10.03–

Conflicts with MS Fax software
    ==============================
    Installing WinFax 10.03 on the system that already has MS Fax installed causes two warning/dialog messages to come up. Following the instructions on stopping the spooler, and a
    manual reboot, will clear the problem. MS Fax should be
    disabled before installing WinFax.

So, you should definately disable MS Fax software if you want to use WinFax.

As for installing on the Windows 2003 server, it should install fine. It might be the MS Fax causing you problems with the install of the printer driver.

Here is the quote from the Readme.txt in WinFAX PRO 10.03 regarding Windows NT/2000 Server

WinFax NT/2000 Server
    =====================
    Please note that WinFax is supported on Windows NT/2000
    workstation installations only. It is not supported on Windows
    NT/2000 Server or Terminal Server.

jadejadejade

From the begininning to now, I have not installed MS fax on the 2003 server at all. So it is simply Winfax 10.04 (also previous versions too as I have tried them) that cannot install the Winfax driver… Is there a fix around as my simple job is broadcast a simple advertisement to all customers using Winfax in 2003 server?

I have tried a simple change to my existing printer driver LaserJet driver by unchecking its LPT1 port and then checking it as a Winfax driver. Then I print my word advertisement from my MS Word 2003. It prints out to the normal winfax windows but with only a quick coverpage, and nothing else. But at lease it pops out the winfax windows for my sending of faxes.

Then I tried using the cover page wizard to amend the cover page. I do it by copy my word advertisement on to the cover page. It display great there on the cover page. But it is totally greyed cover page if I send it to other computer. Is there any tricks around it?

I have wonder if the following method works. I fax it from another XP PC with that advertisement to this 2003 server and them save it as fax image. Does it work if this received fax image can be used for my broadcasting from 2003 server?

Anonymous

Ok, here is something you can try. Disable “Kernel Mode Printer driver blocking” in Windows Server 2003 (TURN IT OFF, it is probably “Enabled”)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet….66.mspx

Once you do this, try re-installing WinFax. I think you can then re-enable “Kernal Mode Printer driver blocking” as outlined in the Microsoft document to go back to the original configuration. According to Microsoft, this driver blocking is enabled in Windows Server 2003 and not in Windows XP.

This blocking is probably causing your original error message 1930.

Edited By Moderator on 1124198353

Anonymous

Did this work?

jadejadejade

that does not work…we will shift to another PC running XP instead for this moment….but we will try to test again later Window 2003 server

Anonymous

User-mode vs. Kernel-mode Drivers

Drivers can be written in either user mode (also called version 3 drivers) or kernel mode (also called version 2 drivers). In Windows NT 4.0, drivers were moved into kernel mode to improve performance. However, when a kernel-mode driver fails, it can crash an entire system, whereas the failure of a user-mode driver causes only the current process to crash. Because of this difference, and because performance enhancements were made in Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003, native drivers on Windows 2000 and later run in user mode. Windows Server 2003 can still run kernel-mode drivers, although this is not recommended for the stability reasons mentioned previously. It is also possible to install kernel-mode drivers using the Additional Drivers option on Windows 2003 print servers to support Windows NT 4.0 clients.

Error 1930 IS SPECIFIC to this error

ERROR_KM_DRIVER_BLOCKED — 1930
    The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers

The WinFax PRO printer driver (when installed in Windows NT 4.0/Windows 2000 or Windows XP / 2003) is a KERNEL MODE (NT 4.0) driver

Makes sense????

orion7

@jadejadejade wrote:

Does Winfax support 2003 Server?
    It almost completed the installation but only cannot add Winfax printer in its very final step of installation. It warned with Error code 1930 “winfax printer add failed….” which is similar to an error code 1797 with same “winfax printer add failed”.

You must to start Printer Spooler service before installation of WinFax!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.