Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vivax

I have 3 computers in a network. The modem is on the old one which runs Win98SE and has winfax 10.0 (200.02.23). I have another PC running WinXP SP@ and winfax 10.0 (200.02.23) (fortunateley it works fine……).
    Now, the third PC has WinXp SP2 and I couldn’t install the winfax 10.0 there, but managed to install 10.0.3 + the 10.0.4 update and it works fine…… but it doesn’t want to connect to the server because it is an older version of winfax…..
    That’s very odd. Backward compatibilty is a corner stone in this kind of software.
    Can anyone suggest a solution ?
    Thanks

JohnD
    Participant

Host Sharing requires the same version on all machines, the only exception I have encountered is where the Host is 10.03 and the clients use 10.04 or 10.03

10.04 shouldn’t be used on a mixed network with a 98SE PC connected.

You have two options:

1. uninstall 10.04 and install 10.00 on the SP2 Win XP PC.

or

2. uninstall 10.00 on all PCs and install 10.03, then follow manual steps on all Win XP SP2 PCs to ensure Host sharing can be used properly

I would recommend option 1, since it only involves configuring one machine (uninstall/reinstall of 10.0)

vivax

Thank you, but as I’ve mentioned, the 10.0 version won’t be installed properly on WinXP SP2 (as many many users know) and I dare not spoil the good installation on the other two comps…..
    Still, i think that this is a serious bug. I can’t understand Symantec way of thinking. So many bugs…..

vivax

BTW, the trivial solutions that you have mentioned are obvious…. but the real question is how to bypass this “conflict”.
    Thank you anyway.

JohnD
    Participant

This limitation is documented in the WinFax Users Guide/on-line Help. You need to have the same version to connect a host and client. Unfortunately, that is the way it is.

The actual problem here is the difficultly you’re experiencing installing WinFax PRO 10.0 on your Windows XP SP2 PC. It should install without difficulty providing there is no conflicts with the installation process.

if you want to install 10.0 on your Windows XP SP2, and you can’t successfully do this, you might want to contact a WinFax professional that can do this for you (details here) http://www.getfaxing.com/services.htm

vivax

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.