Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

When performing a scheduled backup when I start my computer, Winfax stalls on Status.WFD and creates the following log:

Backing up Logs…

<> C:Program FilesSymantecWinFaxDataStatus.dmp
    <
    > C:Program FilesSymantecWinFaxDataStatus.WFB
    <> C:Program FilesSymantecWinFaxDataStatus.WFD
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

<> ** Did not commit changes to the above store **

I have tried rebuilding the files through the Maintenance Utility, but this hasn’t alleviated the problem. Also of note — I am running Winfax 10.0 on a Windows XP machine, and I am considering upgrading to 10.02 in the hopes that it might solve this and related backup problems that have recurred in the past. Any ideas or advice on this situation would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous

can you provide more information, are you using the backup option in WinFax? or another third-party software to backup your data?

most backup applications fail when trying to backup the status*.* files when the WinFax Controller is active.

Anonymous

I’m actually using the backup option within Winfax. I have it set to backup automatically every 5th time Winfax starts (which starts with Windows itself). And that’s only when this problem occurs — it seems to function correctly if I run a backup from within the program after using it awhile.

Anonymous

You need to disable the WinFax PRO Controller before you attempt the backup.

I’m guessing you have the Controller start with Windows, then manually double-click WinFax PRO icon to start WinFax.

Since the backup is automatic, you need to close the controller first then start WinFax PRO.

I believe this is a bug in WinFax. It should be able to detect the controller is running and close it automatically, but it doesn’t

Anonymous

That’s what I figured, but I wanted to make sure it wasn’t some kind of error in my settings or usage of the tool.

So, in other words, I won’t be able to start Winfax with Windows AND use the automated backup feature?

Anonymous

Also, do you know if this bug has been corrected in later versions, such as 10.02? I really appreciate your help with this.

Anonymous

@Alloy50 wrote:

Also, do you know if this bug has been corrected in later versions, such as 10.02? I really appreciate your help with this.

I don’t believe it is fixed as there is no mention of this problem in Symantec’s Knowledge Bases.

Anonymous

Thanks again for your responses. Symantec being unaware of and/or ignoring such a key bug speaks volumes about their commitment to maintaining reliable software.

Anonymous

@Alloy50 wrote:

Thanks again for your responses. Symantec being unaware of and/or ignoring such a key bug speaks volumes about their commitment to maintaining reliable software.

Not including minor updates 10.01, 10.02, 10.03 and just recently 10.04 to attempt to fix current bugs in 10.0 and provide some sort of Windows XP compatibility. There have been no major updates to WinFax since the year 2000. They used to release new versions every 1-1.5 years.

Anonymous

I was having errors when backing up also. The user account didn’t have admin user rights. I changed that user to have admin control and the backup works fine now. Give that a try, it worked for me.

Fat Boy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.