Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bpaspeed

I’m running running Winfax 10.03 on a W98SE platform. This setup receives faxes regularly from local and long-distance sources. I am also able to send to other addresses with (at least) one exception and that is a free-standing fax machine (Panafax UF270/M). In this case 10.03 seems to have “connection” problems such as “line busy”, “no answer” and so on. However, in every case I can forward the problem fax to a third party who is running fax freeware and that gets sent to the problem fax number. I have tried Symantec’s knowledge base and I have talked to a Symantec service person (in India). So far, nothing works. Any suggestions?
    TIA,
    bpa

Anonymous

what type of fax modem are you using? and what steps have you already tried (recommendations from Symantec?)

sending/receiving problems from one specific fax machine generally means an incompatibility with the fax modem and that specific fax machine. Sometimes this can be corrected with an initialization string change in WinFax.

bpaspeed

Thanks for your response. my modem is a “Generic SoftK56 Data, Fax, Voice.” It is on COM2 of an AMD Duron-based motherboard.
    I am picking my way through some printouts from Symantec’s knowledge base on connectivity problems including one sent to
    me by a service tech at Symantec–previously mentioned.

Your comment about initialization-string changes is interesting, I will look for comments about that in the Symantec info.

I like some of the new features in 10.03 and so I will try to get it
    configured correctly before I give up and go back to 9.x.

Anonymous

Soft56K is a software based modem.
    To determine the actual driver information, follow these steps:

In Windows, open Phone and Modem options from Control Panel, select Modems, then properties, diagnostics, query modem. This will give you ATI3 , ATI4 command responses. Post the results here.

Here is also a link to generic modem drivers (for a Soft56K type modem) with some info:

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/softmsg.asp

bpaspeed

I went Control Panel>Settings>Modem>Modem Properties>
    Diagnostics (COM2) Generic SoftK56 Data, Fax, Voice>
    More Info> Port: COM2, Address: 2F8, Identifier:
    CXTVEN_14F1&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_200514F

Then I went WinFax PRO Program Setup>Modems and Communications Devices>Properties>Generic SoftK56 Data, Fax, Voice (TAPI port active)>Properties>Fax>Regular or Cellular PCS modem>Max. trans. speed: as fast as possible. Min. trans speed: send at any rate. High-speed compression enabled (2D).
    Initialization string sequence: AT&F&D2&C1+IFC+2,2;S7=55.
    Flow Control AT+IFC=2,2;
    Hardware flow control enabled. Reset: ATZ. [Thanks]

Administrator
    Keymaster

@bpaspeed wrote:

I went Control Panel>Settings>Modem>Modem Properties>
    Diagnostics (COM2) Generic SoftK56 Data, Fax, Voice>
    More Info> Port: COM2, Address: 2F8, Identifier:
    CXTVEN_14F1&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_200514F

Then I went WinFax PRO Program Setup>Modems and Communications Devices>Properties>Generic SoftK56 Data, Fax, Voice (TAPI port active)>Properties>Fax>Regular or Cellular PCS modem>Max. trans. speed: as fast as possible. Min. trans speed: send at any rate. High-speed compression enabled (2D).
    Initialization string sequence: AT&F&D2&C1+IFC+2,2;S7=55.
    Flow Control AT+IFC=2,2;
    Hardware flow control enabled. Reset: ATZ. [Thanks]

Problems sending to a specific fax machine is difficult to determine, you can turn DEBUG mode on in WinFax, this will generate a log to determine what exactly is happening with the communication of the modem with the fax machine.
    Once you’ve turned on Debug mode, you can then start using WinFax to attempt to send the fax to the Panafax machine.

See this document for instructions on how to enable and disable debug mode in WinFax PRO 10.0x

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….3134404

Then post the results of the debug log here for further review. Remember to turn debug mode off after you are done trying to send that fax to the Panafax machine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.