Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    southofla1

I am trying to use Winfax SDK with the .NET Framework (ASP.NET and/or VB.NET). And I am wondering if I am beating my head against a post with this

1. Does the Winfax SDK actually work with XP.

2. In the .NET project what references do I need to add in the project and is there any snipits of code out there that would show an example.

Thanks in Advance

Anonymous

Hi, i’m also trying to get the SDK working under XP (Pro).
    as far i could find till now it will not work.
    I don’t know what the problem is, but i think we have to find an other product (like QPPro , QNT the Netherlands) to automate our projects

Anonymous

The SDK does not work with XP using version 10.02 of WinFax. You’ll need version 10.01 or 10.00 (or 9.03)
    sorry I don’t have anything specific for .NET. However, shouldn’t it be similar to Visual Basic code samples?

jgbuxton

How about version 10.03?

Anonymous

according to some postings here, 10.03 does not work with the SDK using Windows XP

Edited By Moderator on Dec. 06 2003 at 00:42

rvalenz

Just joing and am catching up….but I thought the only winfax version that works with XP is 10.02 and later?

Rick

Anonymous

10.02 and 10.03 were tested for use with Windows XP. Versions below this may work, but they are not supported by Symantec.

chrisb01

Guys, I had created a faxing script which utilized objects in the SDK that appeared to be affected by this “SDK bug”. That script did not run successfully under Winfax 10.02, but it appears to run under 10.03. There are some posts here that appear to “speculate” that the SDK is still broken in 10.03, but I was wondering if anyone has done some testing and come to a definitive conclusion on the matter.

I was running Winfax 10.03 on Windows XP Professional SP1 when the faxing script ran successfully.

Anonymous

HI, im trying to work withthe SDK of winfax pro (10.03) on XP.
    I can ONLY send faxes.
    Dim FaxLog As wfxctl32.CSDKLogClass = New wfxctl32.CSDKLogClass–> it gives an interface error. So under XP with SDK and winFax 10.03 only some functions will run but not all. Strange :S

🙁

Anonymous

There are several aspects of WinFaxPro’s SDK. You are right in that some of it was re-fixed under 10.03 (due to a lot of pressure from developers.

However in testing it, I am still unable to get many aspects of it to work properly and definitily not consistently. As an example, I can have a program pass body and subject and even attachments. Sometimes the attachments work, sometimes not, but the rest does go into the proper fields.

But to pass a fax number and have it send does not work in any example I have tried. You cannot auto fax with it, the Message Manager always seems to pop up. When I contacted Symantec (I finally did get a reply), they did confirm that there was only some portions of the SDK re-implemented (though this was in December). Perhaps there is a later 10.03 build available now – since there has been plenty of complaints).

I am also still a little perplexed on how a user can get 10.03 – it does not seem available from the Symantec web site. I got it on an update CD I had to request. Does anyone know a) if it available from their web site and b) what is the date on the setup (is it newer than last year)?

Anonymous

There is no downloadable update, it is not a patch file, rather a new complete build which involves reinstalling the software

JohnD
    Participant

The only way to get it is to complain about your existing SDK functionality / macros are not working properly, then they will mention the 10.03 release. Its called cost cutting. Back in the Delrina era, they issued a replacement CD to every single registered user. We requested a replacement via email, we were told to call a number (long waits) and (most likely) pay for the CD to explain again why we wanted the 10.03 version. As if you had to meet some sort of requirement to be able to receive 10.03.

chrisb01

Here’s the code I use to send PDF documents to Winfax via the SDK. This code did not previously work on XP, but it seems to work fine now with on XP with 10.03. This is not the program in it’s entirety, but this is the code that pertains to faxing my PDF documents. All the variables starting with “am” and “xfr”, as well as the QP object, are arguments to this function. I use this function to send hundreds of PDFs to Winfax with no user interface whatsoever. The PDF files are created with the fax number in the file name.

Dim objWinfaxSend, sAcroExe, currentime, shortFileName

Dim scriptSuccess, errNum, errDesc
    scriptSuccess = False
    On Error GoTo exceptionHandler

Set objWinfaxSend = CreateObject(“WinFax.SDKSend8.0”)

objWinfaxSend.LeaveRunning()
    objWinfaxSend.ShowSendScreen(0)
    objWinfaxSend.SetPreviewFax(0)
    objWinfaxSend.SetResolution(1)
    If UCase(Trim(xfrFaxUseCover)) = “Y” Then
    objWinfaxSend.SetUseCover(0)
    objWinfaxSend.SetQuickCover(1)
    objWinfaxSend.SetCoverText (QP.GetInformation(4))
    ElseIf Len(Trim(xfrFaxUseCover)) > 1 Then
    objWinfaxSend.SetQuickCover(0)
    objWinfaxSend.SetUseCover(1)
    objWinfaxSend.SetCoverFile (“C:Program FilesWinFaxCoverBASIC1.CVP”)
    objWinfaxSend.SetCoverText (QP.GetInformation(4))
    Else
    objWinfaxSend.SetQuickCover(0)
    objWinfaxSend.SetUseCover(0)
    End If

‘ Add Recipient
    shortFileName = ExtractFileName(amXfrFile)
    If xfrFaxDialLocationName = “Dial as entered” Then
    objWinfaxSend.SetNumber (Mid(shortFileName,5,(Len(shortFileName) – 8)))
    Else
    objWinfaxSend.SetAreaCode (Mid(shortFileName,5,3))
    objWinfaxSend.SetNumber (Mid(shortFileName,8,(Len(shortFileName) – 11)))
    End If
    objWinfaxSend.SetTo (QP.GetInformation(2))
    objWinfaxSend.SetSubject (QP.GetInformation(3))

If UCase(xfrFaxDelay) = “OFFPEAK” Then
    objWinfaxSend.SetOffPeak(1)
    ElseIf InStr(xfrFaxDelay,”:”) <> 0 Then
    If Format$(xfrFaxDelay,”hh:nn:ss”) < Format$(Time(),"hh:nn:ss") Then
    objWinfaxSend.SetDate (Format$(DateAdd(“d”,1,Date()),”mm/dd/yy”))
    Else
    objWinfaxSend.SetDate (Format$(Date(),”mm/dd/yy”))
    End If
    objWinfaxSend.SetTime (Format$(xfrFaxDelay,”hh:nn:ss”))
    ElseIf CDbl(xfrFaxDelay) > 0 Then
    objWinfaxSend.SetDate (Format$(Date(),”mm/dd/yy”))
    objWinfaxSend.SetTime (Format$(DateAdd(“n”,CDbl(xfrFaxDelay),Time()),”hh:nn:ss”))
    End If
    objWinfaxSend.SetPriority(3)
    objWinfaxSend.AddRecipient

‘ Add Documents via Print
    objWinfaxSend.SetPrintFromApp(1)

‘ Set Winfax to Send
    objWinfaxSend.Send (1)
    currentime = Timer()
    Do Until objWinfaxSend.IsReadyToPrint()
    ‘ Max timeout at 120 seconds
    If Timer() – currentime >= 120 Then
    Err.Raise 1,,”Timeout printing to Winfax printer.”
    Else
    Sleep 1
    End If
    Loop

‘ Find Acrobat Reader
    sAcroExe = RegRead(“HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp PathsAcroRd32.exe”)

‘ If not here, find Acrobat
    If sAcroExe = “” Then
    sAcroExe = RegRead(“HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp PathsAcrobat.exe”)
    End If

‘ If no Acrobat Reader or Acrobat, can’t print so quit with error
    If sAcroExe = “” Then
    Err.Raise 1,,”Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader must be installed.”
    End If

‘ Print the PDF file to the Winfax printer
    Shell sAcroExe & ” /t “”” & amXfrFile & “”” “”Winfax”””,vbNormalFocus

‘ Wait til fax is in outbox before continuing
    currentime = Timer()
    Do Until objWinfaxSend.IsEntryIDReady(0)
    ‘ Max timeout at 240 seconds
    If Timer() – currentime >= 240 Then
    Err.Raise 1,,”Timeout waiting for Winfax EntryID.”
    Else
    Sleep 1
    End If
    Loop

scriptSuccess = True

exceptionHandler:
    If Not scriptSuccess Then
    errNum = Err.Number
    errDesc = Err.Description
    End If

‘ Always attempt clean up
    On Error Resume Next
    objWinfaxSend.Done ()
    Set objWinfaxSend = Nothing
    sAcroExe = Empty
    On Error GoTo 0

If Not scriptSuccess Then
    Err.Raise errNum,,errDesc
    End If

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info. This site is a lot more forthcoming than Symantec’s site was. They never come out and say that the SDK no longer works, but just hint at it.
    I wasted an entire day yesterday getting our automated fax solution working in Windows XP. I made the mistake of installing v10.02 (the version actually approved for Windows XP). Finally after trying many things all day long, I installed v10.01 instead and now it works perfectly! Sure wish I’d read this thread a couple of days ago! :p

It’s nice to get some confirmation that other people are having similar experiences.

Has anyone received a response from Symantec stating whether or not the SDK will be useable in a future release in Windows XP? If the SDK has been more-or-less discontinued, we can continue to use WinFax v10.01 for a while, but will eventually have to look for another automated faxing solution that is actually supported and has a future. If that is what Symantec wants users of the SDK to do, I would appreciate it if they would just come out and say it.

I just opened a support request with Symantec asking this very question. When I get a response, I will post it here.

chrisb01

Here’s a post from another forum, which seems to confirm my hopes that the 10.03 SDK is fixed (with regard to XP): http://www.anzio.com/forum/74.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.