Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jmack9132

How can you get Winfax to run without an admin account. Fax client and host work fine with admin rights but the company I work for keeps taking them away from local accounts so faxing breaks.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@jmack9132 wrote:

How can you get Winfax to run without an admin account. Fax client and host work fine with admin rights but the company I work for keeps taking them away from local accounts so faxing breaks.

To use all the features of WinFax PRO and TalkWorks PRO, you must have read and write access to the WinFax PRO/TalkWorks PRO Windows registry keys. You can obtain this access as follows:

Log on to Windows XP using an account with local administrative privileges to the computer.
    Click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders. The Find dialog box appears.
    From the Look In drop-down list, select the drive onto which you installed WinFax PRO/TalkWorks PRO.
    Check Include subfolders (if not already checked).
    In the Named field, type regacces.exe and click Find Now. Windows displays all files matching the search criteria.
    Double-click the found file. The WinFax Shared Settings Permissions dialog box appears.
    Click Add.
    Add the users whom you want to have read and write access to the WinFax PRO or TalkWorks PRO registry keys, and click OK.
    Click OK.
    Shut down and restart the computer.

NOTE: If the hard drive is using NTFS, then all users must also have permission to access the WinFax PRO/TalkWorks PRO folders.

jmack9132

Wow thanks for that Util, could come in handy. I figured out most of the folders and registry keys with Regmon and filmon utils and set permissions on those and got it working without being an admin. The only thing so far I haven’t got working is the faxsharing, the client won’t attach to the host, I keep getting the message make sure an account has been created for you on the host workstation. Using a domain account but the only way I can get it to work is to make that client an admin on the host which won’t work in our company. I ran regaccess.exe on both host and client and set the user accounts on both machines to no avail. Guess I will keep plugging away or replace Winfax with something else. Thanks.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@jmack9132 wrote:

The only thing so far I haven’t got working is the faxsharing, the client won’t attach to the host, I keep getting the message make sure an account has been created for you on the host workstation. Using a domain account but the only way I can get it to work is to make that client an admin on the host which won’t work in our company.

Both versions of WinFax should be the same, so if you have 10.03 on the Host, make sure the client is using 10.03.

I do not recommend the use of the version 10.04 update, especially if you are mixing operating systems (Windows 2000 connecting to a Win XP SP2, or XP SP2 connecting to XP SP1)

You will need to perform the DCOM security modifications on the Host and each client when using version 10.03 or lower.

jmack9132

I did do the Com updates, however, I do have the 10.04 update. The group I support is out of state and they loaded it thinking they needed it. All the clients are Xp SP2 and on a domain so I didn’t think we needed it but they loaded it without my knowledge. I will test it in the lab without 10.04 and see if I can get it to work and then remove it from their machines if that is the fix. Thanks.

Administrator
    Keymaster

Steps required:
    Uninstall 10.04 from the Host and client(s)
    Reinstall WinFax PRO 10.03 on each machine required.
    Do not apply 10.04 updates.
    Set up Host machine with Fax Sharing
    Set up Client(s) with Fax Sharing.
    Perform DCOM/Windows Firewall Security Steps on Host & Client(s) (as outlined in Fax Shaing with Windows XP SP2 document)

If using Windows Firewall, make sure you perform the steps listed in the Symantec document. If using other software Firewall, make sure you unblock/allow “Wfxctl32.exe’ and “FaxMng32.exe”.

jmack9132

I had made all the changes listed on your post.

Windows Firewall is disabled.
    Made Com security changes.

They are running 10.01 of Winfax and upgraded to 10.04. Does 10.03 make a difference? I uninstalled and reinstalled just 10.01 and everything is ok until the client wants to connect to the host tells me I don’t have a user account on the host, if I make it an admin on the host it is ok. Will 10.03 make a difference?

jmack9132

Never mind it is 10.03, the users told me 10.01 but I checked the version myself. Don’t know why I can’t get that stupid client to connect to the host. Keeping hacking away at it I suppose.

Administrator
    Keymaster

the version has to be the same on client(s) and host.
    you cannot upgrade 10.00, 10.01 or 10.02 to 10.04. If this was done, you need to uninstall and reinstall. The only version that can be upgraded to 10.04 is version 10.03.(Unfortunately, the upgrade patch doesn’t bother to confirm what version you are using before it applies the update)

If you are not using Windows firewall, then you need to ensure whatever firewall you are using is not blocking WinFax. Norton Internet Worm Protection (if you are using Norton Anti Virus) can also prevent WinFax from communicating with the host)

You also need to ensure that your users have access to DCOM and it is enabled on both clients and host

jmack9132

Thanks for the info.

Both Client and Host are running 10.03. I uninstalled are reinstalled to make sure I was on 10.03.

Windows Firewall is in disabled mode.

Com updates are done on both Client and Host.

Not running Norton, have McAfee but can’t find anything blocking with it.

I am ready to give up, cannot get the Client to connect to the host unless the client is an admin on the Host.

Administrator
    Keymaster

if the WinFax Client is logged in as a Local Admin, it works? and if not, it doesn’t work? What is the error message when not logged in as an Admin when attempting to connect to the WinFax Host?

Is “wfxctl32.exe” listed as a safe program in McAffe? both in the Host and Client PC’s.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.