Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have a problem with winfax 10.02 on windows 2000.
    Faxs sent with Outlook have the .exe extension.
    Instead in windows xp have the .fxm extension.
    WHY ?

Anonymous

Are you sure both versions are 10.02? One of them is probably version 10.0 (check Help, About in WinFax)

Anonymous

Both versions are 10.02.
    I can tell you another thing
    I installed winfax on winxp , this is the winfax server.
    If the winfax client is win2000 , faxs sent with Outlook have the .exe extension
    If the winfax client is winxp , faxs sent with Outlook have the .fxm extension

Anonymous

that is the first time I heard of this problem. Symantec changed the way it sends email starting in version 10.01 (which was pulled due to problems) in version 10.0, email is sent using the EXE format (so all users can read the file) In 10.01 and above it uses the FXM format, so the user needs to have a WinFax viewer installed.

Here is the document from Symantec on this:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….2293604

Are both dates/versions the same when you check Help, About? Were they both installed from the same CD install?

Anonymous

I have only a CD , winfax 10.02
    Thanks

Anonymous

well i’m not sure what to tell you. There must be a problem with WinFax because there is no setting in WinFax to choose between an .exe or fxm file. You might have found a bug in the program, the developers probably didn’t remove the code to send the .exe file, so somehow it is being executed instead of the .fxm code.
    Have you contacted Symantec about this?

Anonymous

WinFax 10.02 could not be installed on all systems.

If it is, then it is quite clear that a previous version was installed, of which components are remaining, and causing problems.

WinFax 10.02 does not, in any configuration, use a .exe extension when sending faxes via email, whether it be using Outlook or SMTP.

As well, it is possible to send faxes as .fxm files using earlier versions of WinFax 10.x. When a forwarding rule is used with WinFax 10.x, it is sent as a .fxm file. When a fax is forwarded manually, or a fax is being sent initially by email, then it will be sent as a .exe file when using WinFax 10.0 only.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.