Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pmarsh

I’ve been dealing with this problem for awhile now hopefully someone can lead me to a solution.

WinFax 10.03
    Courier V.Everything Modem

Everything works fine but every once in awhile WinFax hangs on receiving a fax. The line status says receiving fax and the line it’s self is in use. The only way to stop this is to end the process and relaunch WinFax?

JohnD
    Participant

Send and Receive problems are difficult to determine, you can turn DEBUG mode on in WinFax, this will generate a log to determine what exactly is happening with the communication of the modem with the fax machine.

Once you’ve turned on Debug mode, you can then start using WinFax to attempt to send or receive a fax and log the results.

See this document for instructions on how to enable and disable debug mode in WinFax PRO 10.0x

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….3134404

Then post the results of the debug log here for further review (in a new posting) Remember to turn debug mode off after you are done.

Edited By JohnD on 1123868830

pmarsh

THANK YOU VERY MUCH 🙂

I’m enable debug first thing Monday morning and see what happens.

Again thank you for the info I never knew there was a debug for WinFax.

pmarsh

Finally got the thing to hang, below are the log entries. Can someone take a look to see what the problem might be.

Thanx, Paul

104937.4 :=========DCS==========
    104937.4 :res : Low
    104937.4 :doc res:ok
    104937.4 :rate : 14400 V17
    104937.4 :padding : 0
    104937.4 :length: unlimited
    104937.4 :width: 1728
    104937.4 :coding: 2D
    104937.4 :compr : No
    104937.4 :ecm : No
    104937.4 :frame : 256
    104937.4 :T.6 coding: No
    104937.4 :bft : No
    104937.4 :
    104937.6 :train = 2754
    104937.6 :bad = 15
    104937.6 :Open Rx file
    104937.6 :Send CFR
    104937.6 :+FTH=3
    104937.6 :>+FTH=3
    104937.8 :<CONNECT
    104939.0 :getOK resp : OK
    104939.0 :AT+FRM=146

104939.0 :Receiving page (MR)…
    104940.2 :<CONNECT
    104950.8 :stop reception
    104951.0 :+FRH=3
    104951.0 :Wait for last buffer
    104956.0 :15% error limit exceeded

Anonymous

Is this fax coming from the same location, or if not, the same type of fax machine/computer fax?

what are your specific modem settings in WinFax?
    init string, flow control, ecm etc.

pmarsh

95% of the time the hang is caused but the same sending fax machine but it’s not consistant. I’m not sure what type of system the faxes that hang are coming from.

WinFax info

IS
    1. AT&F&D2&C1&H1&R2&I0S7=55
    2. ATS36=0

FC AT&H1&R2&I0

I really appreciate the help.

Thanx

Anonymous

U.S Robotics fax modems are known to have specific problems with certain fax machines/modems (sending or receiving).

Usually, there isn’t much you can do. You have the correct initialization string settings in WinFax, you can try to reduce the maximum sending speed to 9,600 bps , that may help for problems sending. Turn on/off ECM mode as well for sending/receiving.

Also , in WinFax PRO, if you have it set to CLASS 2.0, try CLASS 1 . If its already class 1, try 2.0

I would also suggest checking out U.S. Robotics Web site and download any updates to your modem.

http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

and see this site regarding flashing your US Robotics v.Everything modem.

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/x2-flash.asp

If all that fails, you might want to try installing another fax modem.

pmarsh

I’ll try what you suggest but I think I’ve tweaked the IS a million times and I’ve got the latest drivers and firmware for the modem. I thought US robitic was the best modems one could buy but I guess I’m wrong. What is the best modem for use with winfax?

While I’ve got you do you know how to correct winfax margins? From what my customer is telling me faxes are sent out kicked over to the lefthand side of the page?

Thanx

Anonymous

@pmarsh wrote:

I’ll try what you suggest but I think I’ve tweaked the IS a million times and I’ve got the latest drivers and firmware for the modem. I thought US robitic was the best modems one could buy but I guess I’m wrong. What is the best modem for use with winfax?

While I’ve got you do you know how to correct winfax margins? From what my customer is telling me faxes are sent out kicked over to the lefthand side of the page?

Thanx

US Robotics are the most popular modems, not necessarily the best. They are fine for data, but can generally have some problems with WinFax PRO for faxing. This may not be the case with other software, they may be fine.

As for the best modem, I would suggest first some modem types to avoid:

1. USB type modems
    2. Software driven type modems (often called WinModems)
    3. Class 2.0 modems.

Best modems to use with WinFax PRO

Rockwell based chipset, external serial modems. Older brands such as Hayes, Supra work fine with WinFax PRO.

your performance may vary, some software driven modems work fine too depending if your PC is fast enough.

As for margins, well those are set within the application you are faxing from. Sometimes you’ll get margins moved over because of the difference in resolution when you switch to a 200×200 dpi printer driver. I usually suggest you preview your faxes to ensure you’re getting the results you want.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.