Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    garry.lodge

I have setup a WinFax host (users connect and send faxes through the host). When I had a USB modem attached the faxes send from the client PC did not send (stayed in out box on host) until you right clicked them and clicked send now.

I then installed an internal modem that solved this problem but now when I send a fax to our current fax machine it does not answer the call. If I send to another WinFax host it sends fine (faxes sent fine to this fax machine with the usb modem).

Is there any settings I could change to allow sending faxes to standard fax machines (I’ve tried reducing send speed, removing compression etc)?

Thanks

Administrator
    Keymaster

Not answering a call is different from a failed fax, either it picks up the line and attempts to receive the fax and fails, or does not pick up the line at all. If it doesn’t pick up the line (no answer), then this is a problem specific to the other fax machine you are calling.

If you can send to every other machine, then the problem is specific with the fax machine you are sending to. What type of fax machine are you sending to? Is it connected to a voice answering system? Have you tried calling it with a regular phone to see how it answers a call?

Changing speed, compression etc. doesn’t effect sending unless it actually makes a connection with another fax machine.

You will have to provide more details, such as the type of fax modem you are using , the version of WinFax, version of Windows before we can provide additional assistance.

garry.lodge

Thanks for the reply.

The fax on the WinFax machine says “No answer on last attempt”, on the fax machine it gets an error “Comm.Error” (the documentation for the fax machine just says this means the communication was disconnected, send the fax again).

The host is Windows XP running WinFax 10.0 (I know this version does not officially support xp but I couldn’t get hold of a later version. The “Reconfiguring Windows XP security settings” on symantec’s site got around this problem)

Modem is a speed com+ v90/56k usb modem. The fax machine is a Canon FAX-L100.

We currently have 9 other WinFax host with the same version of WinFax on but running Windows 98, which all send fine to this fax machine.

Thanks for all your help.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@garry.lodge wrote:

We currently have 9 other WinFax host with the same version of WinFax on but running Windows 98, which all send fine to this fax machine.

using the same fax modem ?

Is the Canon Fax machine on a shared telephone line with an answering machine or voice mail service?
    If not, set the Canon to answer mode. See Chapter 5 of your Canon manual (assuming this is your Canon fax machine you have access to)

Edited By Moderator on 1208453888

garry.lodge

Yes, it is the same fax modem (the xp fax host has replaced a windows 98 host but still using the same usb modem and I could send faxes from it to this fax machine with not problems)

I have spoken to the guy in charge of the fax machine and he informs me that it is not a shared phone line and that there is no answering machine or voicemail service. He has also lost the manual (which is helpful). Do you know where there is one online I could download (can’t find anything on the canon site or a web search)

Thanks

Administrator
    Keymaster
    garry.lodge

Thanks for that.

I’ve just checked the fax machine. It was already set up as .

Thanks

Administrator
    Keymaster

which modem is having the problem sending to the Canon, the internal modem? or the USB Modem?
    If its the internal modem , what kind of modem is it? Brand, Manufacturer?

garry.lodge

Both have the problem. When USB one was not sending I removed it and installed the internal one but still didn’t work. Then reverted back to USB and started looking through settings.

The internal one is a PCI net-lynx v.92 / 56k.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Keymaster

ok, since the only difference (should be) the drivers. I would suggest checking to see with the manufacturer of the modem to see if you have the latest drivers installed for Windows XP.

USB Modems are software driven modems, and its possible the problems are modem driver related .

garry.lodge

The drivers were the latest available. I have installed a different usb modem (genius gm56usb) and installed the latest drivers for it but still get the same problem.

Thanks

Administrator
    Keymaster

Here are some suggestions:

1. make sure no other applications are using the fax modem, if you have Microsoft XP Fax enabled, turn it off.
    Make sure the “Fax” service (if configured) is set to disabled, or manual. Other fax software should also be disabled if it automatically starts with Windows.

2. Disable the WinFax PRO service, by default in Windows XP it is turned on. Stop the service and set it to Disabled.

3. In WinFax PRO setup, under Modems & Communications Devices, turn off ECM and Compression options.

garry.lodge

I have tried all these but still no luck.

I have set up another XP WinFax host on a seperate phone line and have the same problem.

I have changed the original XP PC back to the Windows 98 PC and it is again working fine (using the same modem).

Do you have any other ideas or tests I could carry out to solve this problem?

Thanks for all your help

Administrator
    Keymaster

On the Windows XP PC, what are the current fax modem settings displayed in Tools, Program Setup, Modems & Communications Devices ?
    Is Hardware Flow Control Enabled?
    What are the intialization settings?

Here are a some suggestions since the problems seems to appear with Windows XP.

– boot Windows XP in selective start up mode (using MSCONFIG) and disable start up programs (do not disable WFXSNT40.EXE startup)
    Time consuming process as you may have to experiment with different combinations to find the actual culprit (if any)

– Try a different modem in Windows XP. I would suggest a Controller based modem (hardware modem) such as a serial modem .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.