Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My salesmen were looking for some way to fax their price lists without having to stand at a fax machine for 4 hours, so Office Depot sold us WinFax Pro. Well, we are having some issues running it on an XP machine. I got it loaded fine, set the modem up split with the existing fax machine on that line. Went to dial one of our other fax machines, and after it dialed the number it proceeded to print the fax on the machine it was sharing the line with, and would not fax to the other number. So we disconnected the other fax entirely, and were then able to dial the other number and fax to it.

My salesman then set up his phone book and groups to fax to for this morning. Again, with only the modem plugged into the phone line, he started faxing to his groups. Every number dialed came back as busy, and then after retrying, deleted the entry from his phone book. I’m going to see about returning the software to Office Depot if I can get it to uninstall, since I have seen nothing but bad about this product. This has me stumped, and it’s not like I’m computer illiterate – I have a 4 year degree and 13 years in the computer field, and have never had this problem with software. Thanks.

Anonymous

@BillM wrote:

My salesmen were looking for some way to fax their price lists without having to stand at a fax machine for 4 hours, so Office Depot sold us WinFax Pro. Well, we are having some issues running it on an XP machine. I got it loaded fine, set the modem up split with the existing fax machine on that line. Went to dial one of our other fax machines, and after it dialed the number it proceeded to print the fax on the machine it was sharing the line with, and would not fax to the other number. So we disconnected the other fax entirely, and were then able to dial the other number and fax to it.

My salesman then set up his phone book and groups to fax to for this morning. Again, with only the modem plugged into the phone line, he started faxing to his groups. Every number dialed came back as busy, and then after retrying, deleted the entry from his phone book. I’m going to see about returning the software to Office Depot if I can get it to uninstall, since I have seen nothing but bad about this product. This has me stumped, and it’s not like I’m computer illiterate – I have a 4 year degree and 13 years in the computer field, and have never had this problem with software. Thanks.

Fax Machine and WinFax sharing same line:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT….8470504

Busy signals indicate that WinFax is not dialing the correct number, or is adding inappropriate dialing codes in front of the number being dialed, resulting in a busy signal from the phone company. Double check your send logs to determine exactly what number is being dialed, check for any prefix, area code rules and/or credit card rules being enabled incorrectly.

As for the number being deleted from the phonebook after dialing, this is a new one for me. I have never heard of this occurance, double check your phonebook to see if it actually was deleted.

Anonymous

Okay, we got the salesman his own separate line. We have strange dialing here, and I just cannot get this to work. Some of the locations within our area code require a 1-area code-number plus our long distance acces code which is a 4 digit number. I have spent all week fooling with this and feel like a total retard as I cannot get this to dial anything but a local number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    Keymaster

@BillM wrote:

Okay, we got the salesman his own separate line. We have strange dialing here, and I just cannot get this to work. Some of the locations within our area code require a 1-area code-number plus our long distance acces code which is a 4 digit number. I have spent all week fooling with this and feel like a total retard as I cannot get this to dial anything but a local number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to configure a specific dialing configuration in WinFax, so it will dial any access code that you require depending if the number is long distance or not.

There are two methods of dialing in WinFax. Windows dialing and WinFax dialing. Windows dialing settings are universal to all Windows applications, WinFax dialing is specific to WinFax only.

Windows dialing is very flexible, so I would suggest trying Windows dialing first. To enable Windows dialing in WinFax,

Open the Message Manager, and then click Tools.
    Click Program Setup.
    Select “Dialing and Location,” and then click Properties.
    On the General tab, click Advanced.
    Select Windows Dialing, and then click OK.
    Click Close to close the Program Setup.

You can then configure the specific dialing rules in the Windows dialing setup.

Anonymous

I was in that for over an hour yesterday, hence my frustration level. We are in an area where some of the calls in our area code are long distance and require 1-area code-number. However, if the call is a local call, we cannot dial the 1-area code, the phone will not accept that. I am having a lot of difficulty even getting the program to dial the 1 (message on the line “you must first dial a 1 or a 0 to place this call”. On the few occasions I did get the one to dial, the long distance code would not completely dial, it dials too fast and does not complete. The only way I can see to make this work is we’re going to have to set up two locations, one for local and one for long distance, which is fine, but I still cannot get the pause in the dialing to get the long distance code to work.

Anonymous

@BillM wrote:

I was in that for over an hour yesterday, hence my frustration level. We are in an area where some of the calls in our area code are long distance and require 1-area code-number. However, if the call is a local call, we cannot dial the 1-area code, the phone will not accept that. I am having a lot of difficulty even getting the program to dial the 1 (message on the line “you must first dial a 1 or a 0 to place this call”. On the few occasions I did get the one to dial, the long distance code would not completely dial, it dials too fast and does not complete. The only way I can see to make this work is we’re going to have to set up two locations, one for local and one for long distance, which is fine, but I still cannot get the pause in the dialing to get the long distance code to work.

Use a comma “,” to insert a 2 second pause between dialing numbers. For example:

1, 705-555-1212,,4456

would dial 1 , wait two seconds, dial the number, wait 4 seconds, dial an access code.

You can add commas within your prefix, suffix, or anywhere in the fax number.

http://modemsite.com/56k/comma.asp

Anonymous

Thanks for your help. Here’s what I finally had to do. I had to set WinFax to use WinFax dialing properties, then change from default to dial as entered, then enter the number in the phone book as 12125551212,1234 and that worked. If I had it dial as default or under Windows it showed the 1 but would not dial it, and we’d get the “You must first dial a 1 or 0 for this number” when dialing. Seems to be working now though.

Anonymous

@BillM wrote:

Thanks for your help. Here’s what I finally had to do. I had to set WinFax to use WinFax dialing properties, then change from default to dial as entered, then enter the number in the phone book as 12125551212,1234 and that worked. If I had it dial as default or under Windows it showed the 1 but would not dial it, and we’d get the “You must first dial a 1 or 0 for this number” when dialing. Seems to be working now though.

That will work, but its not the best way to do it especially if in the future you move to a different location, or the phone company decides to change their dialing rules, area codes etc.
    you end up having to change a lot of phone entries. Not a big deal if your dealing with a few numbers, but can be a problem in the future if there are many numbers to change. Something to keep in mind…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.