Fax Software

Community Forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

WinXP Home, 1.2 Ghz Dell standalone – bells and whistles galore. US Robotics PCI data/fax modem set up on COM3.
    In order to get WinFax 10.02 to install, we had to disable the built-in Fax facility that XP comes with through Services. WinFax installed, detects modem – dumps the registers – everything looks cool. System sucessfully sends one fax then refuses to send any further until system reboots. System’s not hung – the s/w just refuses to send anything other than one fax and needs a restart.

Called Symantec: their answer – put the modem on an IRQ lower than IRQ 9 (“because our software doesn’t work with anything above 9”)! It’s been a long time since I messed with IRQ junk but I’ve always been told to avoid sharing IRQs and avoid mucking with the lower IRQs especially because that
    can really cause the hardware to loose its connection to the OS. I don’t know if the same holds true for XP. That answer is also suspect because if that were the case, then it would refuse to operate even the one time. Note: I have called their HQ to ask for my $29.95 back.

Amyone else here have a “feel” for that answer before I go and really screw this up!? Note that all IRQs below 9 are now encumbered by other hardware/devices. If this is the answer (and I doubt it) then which IRQ would you choose?

My other idea is to reset just the PCI modem with an initialization command string (AT=Z command) after each transmission or receipt. But I think software modems don’t respond to AT commands unless someone here might be able to give a clue as to how to “order” or configure WinFax Pro to reset the modem. Any takers?

Thanks to all…

Anonymous

@Hoib wrote:

WinXP Home, 1.2 Ghz Dell standalone – bells and whistles galore. US Robotics PCI data/fax modem set up on COM3.
    In order to get WinFax 10.02 to install, we had to disable the built-in Fax facility that XP comes with through Services. WinFax installed, detects modem – dumps the registers – everything looks cool. System sucessfully sends one fax then refuses to send any further until system reboots. System’s not hung – the s/w just refuses to send anything other than one fax and needs a restart.

Called Symantec: their answer – put the modem on an IRQ lower than IRQ 9 (“because our software doesn’t work with anything above 9”)! It’s been a long time since I messed with IRQ junk but I’ve always been told to avoid sharing IRQs and avoid mucking with the lower IRQs especially because that
    can really cause the hardware to loose its connection to the OS. I don’t know if the same holds true for XP. That answer is also suspect because if that were the case, then it would refuse to operate even the one time. Note: I have called their HQ to ask for my $29.95 back.

Amyone else here have a “feel” for that answer before I go and really screw this up!? Note that all IRQs below 9 are now encumbered by other hardware/devices. If this is the answer (and I doubt it) then which IRQ would you choose?

My other idea is to reset just the PCI modem with an initialization command string (AT=Z command) after each transmission or receipt. But I think software modems don’t respond to AT commands unless someone here might be able to give a clue as to how to “order” or configure WinFax Pro to reset the modem. Any takers?

Thanks to all…

That answer from technical support was nonsense! The IRQ setting is meaningless, as long as the hardware is properly configured — WinFax can detect it and use it. Of course, you need to ensure there are no hardware conflicts — but a modem on IRQ 5, Com 3 to WinFax is no different then a modem on Com3 Irq 10. WinFax communicates with the modem via Windows TAPI , which is the how the software communicates directly with the modem. I’ve had many internal modems installed on IRQ 10, or IRQ 11 without problems.

What type (model) U.S Robotics modem is it? Make sure you have the latest Windows XP drivers. Double check for any hardware conflicts. What IRQ is the modem configured as now? What is the initialization string setting in WinFax? Do you have it set up as a CLASS 1 or a CLASS 2 or 2.0 fax modem?

When it refuses to send additional faxes, does the modem still respond? Can you communicate with the modem using the Modems, Diagnostic, Query Modem(More info) test in the Control Panel?

Also, software modems also use the Hayes “AT” command set, so initialization strings such as ATZ , or AT&F will work. ATZ will reset a modem when in command mode.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.